• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Buffering issues question

Started by kahfluie, September 14, 2017, 05:07:27 PM

kahfluie

When running RadioDJ using the A******t encoder, we find that a listener may have differing issues and/or a moment where the music drops then restarts about 5 - 10 seconds later.

We thought it might be the server, but we have another station running n the same source server, and it is streaming to the SAME SHOUTcast server. That station does not have buffering issues.

Is there a setting one can use to decrease this occurrence? Since I know it is not the SHOUTcast server, nor is it the source server (since the other stations on it are not having issues), I am left looking at ewither RadioDJ or A******t as the source of the issue.

We are also using the DSP Sound Solution Plugin (as we are with our other stations).

On a side note, I tried a completely different shoutcast server and source computer to see if this issue remained, and it did... so we definitely know it is not the SHOUTcast server or source server/PC.

Streaming at 128k
SHOUTcast v2 version 2.5.5.732
Source: Windows 2012 r2 server

Thoughts?

FreerunMedia

Quote from: kahfluie on September 14, 2017, 05:07:27 PM
When running RadioDJ using the A******t encoder, we find that a listener may have differing issues and/or a moment where the music drops then restarts about 5 - 10 seconds later.

We thought it might be the server, but we have another station running n the same source server, and it is streaming to the SAME SHOUTcast server. That station does not have buffering issues.

Is there a setting one can use to decrease this occurrence? Since I know it is not the SHOUTcast server, nor is it the source server (since the other stations on it are not having issues), I am left looking at ewither RadioDJ or A******t as the source of the issue.

We are also using the DSP Sound Solution Plugin (as we are with our other stations).

On a side note, I tried a completely different shoutcast server and source computer to see if this issue remained, and it did... so we definitely know it is not the SHOUTcast server or source server/PC.

Streaming at 128k
SHOUTcast v2 version 2.5.5.732
Source: Windows 2012 r2 server

Thoughts?

Allways keep in mind that a listener can create problems that are not yours. If a listener has buffering problems, that listener should look at the own internet connection, Wifi connection and browser or player used. At the station were i work we get those questions on a daily base and 99,9% of the cases it's a bad Wifi or browser that is not capeable to handle it. If you don;t get errors or the stream sounds good at your place, don't look into it.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

kahfluie

Quote from: FreerunMedia on September 14, 2017, 07:19:24 PM
Allways keep in mind that a listener can create problems that are not yours. If a listener has buffering problems, that listener should look at the own internet connection, Wifi connection and browser or player used. At the station were i work we get those questions on a daily base and 99,9% of the cases it's a bad Wifi or browser that is not capeable to handle it. If you don;t get errors or the stream sounds good at your place, don't look into it.

I get the same buffering issues when listening, hard wired - and from multiple locations. Others stations on the same remote server don't have the issue....

DJ Garybaldy

Bear in mind A******t isn't supported around here and won't work with future versions of RDJ,

Does this happen if you try the stream plugin written by Marius or even a stand alone encoding solution.

https://djgarybaldy.co.uk/stand-alone-encoding-software/

It could also just be a case of "Congestion" on the Internet that sometimes can interfere with playing a radio station or streaming one.

Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

FreerunMedia

Quote from: kahfluie on September 15, 2017, 04:00:14 AM
I get the same buffering issues when listening, hard wired - and from multiple locations. Others stations on the same remote server don't have the issue....

How much is your upload speed? You can check that through speedtest.net. With a 256kb/s upload it is too low on upload. When you stream and using normal internet, there is no room for "uploading" your audio. You need at least 1mb/s upload but safer is to have 10mb/s. Also make sure that ports are forwarded and your router is capeable to handle all the internet streams.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

kahfluie

Quote from: FreerunMedia on September 15, 2017, 11:46:35 AM
How much is your upload speed? You can check that through speedtest.net. With a 256kb/s upload it is too low on upload. When you stream and using normal internet, there is no room for "uploading" your audio. You need at least 1mb/s upload but safer is to have 10mb/s. Also make sure that ports are forwarded and your router is capeable to handle all the internet streams.

We are running the software off of a dedicated windows server. Ping: 8, Download: 100Mbps, Upload 100Mbps (I suspect the up and down are higher but the meter in Speedtest only went up to 100)

If it was a upstream issue, I would expect the other 2 station running on the same server would have the same issues. They aren't they are just streaming along as they should.

I will try the suggestion by FreeRunMedia and DJ Gary Baldy and see if that helps any.

Thanks!

MannyRatoski

Using the same encoder as you. I get buffering issues. Could be encoder, but I don't have a fix. I'll try the suggestions and report back.

kahfluie

Quote from: DJ Garybaldy on September 15, 2017, 09:37:37 AM
Bear in mind A******t isn't supported around here and won't work with future versions of RDJ,

Does this happen if you try the stream plugin written by Marius or even a stand alone encoding solution.

https://djgarybaldy.co.uk/stand-alone-encoding-software/

It could also just be a case of "Congestion" on the Internet that sometimes can interfere with playing a radio station or streaming one.

Sorry for delay in a reply. I have been away.

I installed the plugin written by Marius per your site. Sadly, it does happen still, however not as often.