• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

RDJ freezes when rotation repopulates

Started by jopizz, January 12, 2018, 06:50:50 PM

jopizz

I'm using RDJ 1.8.2. I have 38 items in my normal rotation. When the first track ends it adds 38 more to the play list. When it does this the current song cursor freezes until it has fully repopulated the playlist. This causes the next song or jingle to start 2-3 seconds late. It will do this every time it gets down to 37 items and repopulates. I know the obvious answer is to have less items in the rotation but is there any other option I can try.

John

Marius

Not that obvious, with 38 tracks it should not be any noticeable delay.
The only advice i can give you are the usual one, scan/defragment your drive and make sure that there isn't any process that is using intensively your drive and processor.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

jopizz

Thanks. I'll try defragmenting the drive. I noticed that when the play list repopulates the CPU goes to 100%. Normally it runs around 11-18%. It's an older PC; Pentium 4 1.8ghz, 2gb ram. The only processes running are what's needed for RDJ. Everything else is disabled.

John

FreerunMedia

Quote from: jopizz on January 12, 2018, 07:22:20 PM
Thanks. I'll try defragmenting the drive. I noticed that when the play list repopulates the CPU goes to 100%. Normally it runs around 11-18%. It's an older PC; Pentium 4 1.8ghz, 2gb ram. The only processes running are what's needed for RDJ. Everything else is disabled.

John

Well there's your problem. The computer can't handle that. I was running 4 editions on a P4, 2.8ghz with 2gb of ram and on board video, and it could not pull it off. Now it is running on a C2D with 4GB of ram and it can handle this 4 editions reload items, just. So in your case, pick a C2D with 4GB of ram at least, and it will work. Preferably use a dadicated videocard with it becasue on board video cards like intel, share the video memory with the system memory.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

Qboy61

Jopizz, I've noticed this also but my rotations are fairly large.

http://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=8611.0

radio3

Hi guys,

I have the similar problem. RDJ on Win10 freeze while playing 2 of our short (3 sec) jingles so the next track starting to play with a delay from 1 - 2 seconds. This issue occurs randomly. I can't define a pattern when this will happen and why only with those 2 jingles.
I notice only, that while playing those jingles RDJ just freeze for while. The playlist has about 32 items and while it loads do not occurs delay or any problems. I had tried to re-encode the files, to change the files setting but nothing works...

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: radio3 on February 20, 2018, 05:19:03 PM
Hi guys,

I have the similar problem. RDJ on Win10 freeze while playing 2 of our short (3 sec) jingles so the next track starting to play with a delay from 1 - 2 seconds. This issue occurs randomly. I can't define a pattern when this will happen and why only with those 2 jingles.
I notice only, that while playing those jingles RDJ just freeze for while. The playlist has about 32 items and while it loads do not occurs delay or any problems. I had tried to re-encode the files, to change the files setting but nothing works...

What are your "Playback Buffer" settings under options? You may need to change that so it has less of a delay say 800ms instead of say 2000ms that's why you don't hear them for a couple of seconds.
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

radio3

Quote from: DJ Garybaldy on February 20, 2018, 05:29:49 PM
What are your "Playback Buffer" settings under options? You may need to change that so it has less of a delay say 800ms instead of say 2000ms that's why you don't hear them for a couple of seconds.

Hi and thanks for advice.
I just set this settings..

Playback Buffer: 200
Mixer Buffer: 1
Input Buffer: 1000

[attachment deleted by admin]

DJ Garybaldy

OK what are the specs of your PC? 

When was the last time you did any maintenance like Defragging or Clearing out junk files that could also be a reason the PC appears to freeze.

Also might be worth checking the health of your hard drives I had an issue where RadioDJ was crawling a couple of years back and it turned out to be a drive dying on us.
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

FreerunMedia

For the "pre-load" i choose to have 60 seconds. In case of jingles it gets in trouble was my experience
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

radio3

Hi guys and thank you for the advices..
I just need more time to try to adjust the options and to look if its help.
I will give you feedback as soon I have any results.

radio3

Hi guys,

after I had defrag the hard drives and had cleared out junk files I tried to adjust all possible player, buffer etc. option in RDJ but nothing helps. I noticed also that when RDJ is in playing mode (no streaming, no using the plugin encoder) everything works fine.

So I switched to stand alone encoder and it seem that now the application works fine. No more drops between jingles and songs. I really can't understand why, when I'm using the plugin encoder RDJ freeze when mixing and this delay occurs...

FreerunMedia

Quote from: radio3 on February 25, 2018, 10:27:34 AM
Hi guys,

after I had defrag the hard drives and had cleared out junk files I tried to adjust all possible player, buffer etc. option in RDJ but nothing helps. I noticed also that when RDJ is in playing mode (no streaming, no using the plugin encoder) everything works fine.

So I switched to stand alone encoder and it seem that now the application works fine. No more drops between jingles and songs. I really can't understand why, when I'm using the plugin encoder RDJ freeze when mixing and this delay occurs...

I can think of at least one thing. Try to pick a more powerfull computer. A P4 2.8ghz with 2gb of memory will work but don't use anything extra. For streaming, with windows 7 it is safer to pick a C2D at 2.4ghz minimum, with 4gb memory. Also within Windows XP , MySQL works better than MariaDB strangely enough. With W7 or W10 it is better to use MariaDB is my experience.