Author Topic: Multiple category entry via HediSql  (Read 111 times)

manishboyradio

Multiple category entry via HediSql
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:22:29 PM »
Hello, is there anyway to add multiple categories in hedisql at once via a query, if so send my the code to do so

Thanks!

Calypso

Re: Multiple category entry via HediSql
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »
I don't exactly understand what you're meaning, can go two ways:

* Add multiple categories to a single track: not possible. The database structure of RadioDJ is currently in such a way that there is a one on one relation between a single track and it's associated (sub)category, you can't add more as one.
* Change the category of multiple tracks at the same time: possible if you have a certain other unique characteristic of those tracks. However, for most users, it's easier to do that from within the Tracks Manager, you have better control on what you're doing.

Polar

• New User

• Personal Text
    Relax
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »
I have been playing with RDJ for a while now, and see its vast potential. As with all software the user ( that is us  ;D ) is limited to the features that are supported (which are plenty!).

However, one of the advantages with RDJ is the fact that it uses mySQL. Me too have on some occasions been banging my head  :bash: on how I could use certain information from a track to trigger events, build rotations etc.

Assigning multiple categories/sub-categories has been on many users wishlist. The way I see it mySQL gives us a way out here :). The main database keeps the basic info that is used by the core of RDJ. The key is the track ID. If we create a new database where Track ID is the shared common (index key) with a UI build around it, you can work in RDJ for core information, and use the home cooked second UI screen for updating with additional information (like extra categories), things that not are stored in RDJ.

I'm not a programmer of nature, but had a similar project about 30 years ago. An accounting system build on dbase3. We builded a secondary CRM that used the client information from the accounting platform, but all additional information was stored in the custom made database. Include an auto re-index button in the UI and there you go, the new database is always updated when you want to remove RDJ deleted tracks or include newly added tracks.

This gives you the flexibility to run SQL queries across the two databases. Right now I have too much on my plate, but if anybody out there sees the potential for this "add-on" I would welcome it very much. And it would take away some of the strain on the RDJ developers :).

Maybe this deserves a separate topic ??

Calypso

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 09:04:14 PM »
I have been playing with RDJ for a while now, and see its vast potential. As with all software the user ( that is us  ;D ) is limited to the features that are supported (which are plenty!).

However, one of the advantages with RDJ is the fact that it uses mySQL. Me too have on some occasions been banging my head  :bash: on how I could use certain information from a track to trigger events, build rotations etc.

Assigning multiple categories/sub-categories has been on many users wishlist. The way I see it mySQL gives us a way out here :). The main database keeps the basic info that is used by the core of RDJ. The key is the track ID. If we create a new database where Track ID is the shared common (index key) with a UI build around it, you can work in RDJ for core information, and use the home cooked second UI screen for updating with additional information (like extra categories), things that not are stored in RDJ.

I'm not a programmer of nature, but had a similar project about 30 years ago. An accounting system build on dbase3. We builded a secondary CRM that used the client information from the accounting platform, but all additional information was stored in the custom made database. Include an auto re-index button in the UI and there you go, the new database is always updated when you want to remove RDJ deleted tracks or include newly added tracks.

This gives you the flexibility to run SQL queries across the two databases. Right now I have too much on my plate, but if anybody out there sees the potential for this "add-on" I would welcome it very much. And it would take away some of the strain on the RDJ developers :).

Maybe this deserves a separate topic ??

Yes, you could make a workaround in such way, but within RDJ you won't have any possibility to select on those new categories, except for an SQL Query in a rotation. So it's not really user friendly.