• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Microphone problem

Started by RFU, October 06, 2018, 03:52:28 PM

RFU

I've bought two microphones now and I'm having a problem with the volume.
The first one was a cheap mic and it basically didn't pick up anything
The second one (the new one) is a studio mic with a vibration cage
Nothing is recorded unless my mouth is about a half a cm from the mic.
Do I need to buy some sort of amplifier?
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

Marius

What is the exact model of your new mic and how did you set up the mic?
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

RFU

Samson BM-800
Polar Pattern :Uni-Directional
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz
Sensitivity: -32±2dB (0dB=1V/pa at 1KHZ)
Output Impedance:≥ 1000 Ω
Equivalent Noise Level: 14 dBA
S/N Ratio: 80dB
Max. SPL: 130dB(at 1KHz ≤ 1% T.H.D)
Current consumption: 30mA

First I tested it by plugging it into my laptop and recording with Ocenaudio and I had the mic settings in Windows 7 Ultimate set to max. There wasn't much of a signal. In fact, my headphone microphone has a stronger signal.

Right now it's plugged into my RadioDJ computer through a USB soundcard and again, the Windows 7 Ultimate microphone settings are a max. But I haven't tried it yet

The store I bought it from sent me an mp3 test file and it sounded Awesome, but I'm not getting Awesome

Marius

The condenser microphone types need 48v phantom power. From the specification i see that "it should work" with most computers, however:
QuoteThis is a condenser microphone only work with the device that could provide enough power for it.
When connected with desktop computer, the condenser microphone could be used alone. When connected with laptop computer, please connect the laptop to electrical outlet, or use a 48V phantom power to get enough power if the sound is not clear and high enough.
● If your device could not provide enough power(When used with Amplifier or Mixer,etc.), the sound volume recorded might be low, and please use a extra 48V phantom power adapter to connect it.(phantom power adapter is not included).
This is confirmed also by the user reviews from the gearbest.

There are different solutions for this, maybe a cheap mixer that has phantom power, or a preamp which has that.

Some results i found by googling:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-1-Channel-Pre-amplifier-Multi-function-Microphone/dp/B072N2WS2P
https://www.gearbest.com/speakers/pp_1128426.html?vip=14651558&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsKaVjavy3QIVxfhRCh0wowkIEAAYASAAEgIzl_D_BwE

PS: from my experience with these types of microphones, they can't work on any regular sound cards because they can't provide such high voltage. There are indeed some (professional or semipro) sound cards available with phantom power, but i doubt that they are shipping as a stock sound card on computers.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

----------------

RFU

Well I just sold my mixer and I"m not ready to buy another one
So I guess I have to buy a pre-amp. And that probably explains why I had the same problem with the other mic
Thanks for the help Marius :ok:

RFU

I screwed around with the mixer for 2 years trying to get it working properly and I finally gave up and sold it about a month ago

FreerunMedia

Quote from: RFU on October 07, 2018, 06:24:26 PM
I screwed around with the mixer for 2 years trying to get it working properly and I finally gave up and sold it about a month ago

If you want to use a phantom powered microphone, you need something that can give that power. Either through a "channelstrip" or any mixer. If you sold the mixer you're not making it easier for yourself. The only option is using a channelstrip that can be connected to a microphone. The output is most of the times line out so should connect up to the computer. Keep in mind that the output is balanced so hooking it up directly to the computer won't work. You need to have a cable that "converts" balanced to unbalanced signal. You can do that "brute force" by short out pin 3 and 1 and leave pin 2 on the XLR as "hot" or "+" signal. For TRS jacks ( Tip, Ring, Sleeve )  you need to short out the sleeve and ring. The other side that goes to the computer you need to hook up left and right ( Tip and Ring )  together and ground connected up to the sleeve. ( Example : http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2011/03/unbalanced-to-balanced-audio/ )

A channelstrip is something like this: https://www.gearank.com/guides/best-channel-strip
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

Marius

RFU bought a new mixer in the meantime. It has a new topic. :)
DOWNLOADS PAGE

----------------

FreerunMedia

Quote from: Marius on October 23, 2018, 01:18:35 PM
RFU bought a new mixer in the meantime. It has a new topic. :)

Ah thanks :D  :cool:
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )