Author Topic: Email - Forum Signatures  (Read 129 times)

bill

• New User

Email - Forum Signatures
« on: October 20, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
I found these Signature scripts stashed away on my hard drive. I have updated them to work with newer MySQLi and and RadioDJ.  I had planned to share them here. 

As I attempted to ad a signature on the RadioDJ forum and on GMail it seems that iframe and img tags are not permitted in public sites. Is this the new normal? 

It has been many years since I have thought of signatures in email or on a forum, but thinking of promoting an online Radio it seemed like a good idea. Now finding that they are not permitted seems new?  I wonder why? How does iframe present any danger to GMail? Maybe img tags would if used with wrong type of image, but couldn't the image or file type be prohibited and not the tag?

I remember that GIFs at one point could hold a virus so PNGs began to be better accepted. Images do seem to be allowed in most forum post areas.  I am not pointing to RadioDJ in this Simple Machines is used as the forum and I am sure that this is for security reasons. It is just that I am not sure why the signature restriction to not allow iframe and img tags.  In searching BBCode these tags are not allowed unless specific attention is given to them.

I would like to share this script package, but I do not want to do something wrong.  Why have these Signature Services Websites become so popular if iframes and img tags are not permitted in most email sites and most forums? Is there a better way to frame or have an image in the signature line of a members profile?

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ Romania
Re: Email - Forum Signatures
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 05:24:06 PM »
Generally support forums have other purposes than promoting personal sites. Other than that i saw many times signatures with huge banners with all the bells and whistles that distracted the users when reading posts. It's not nice neither helpful for anyone.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

bill

• New User

Re: Email - Forum Signatures
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
I get that.
As I was thinking a little 60px, but not all will be courteous. I would and most would be happy with a little 3 or 4 line Signature with Current music playing, but someone will inevitably take advantage as you mentioned. I understand what you are saying. To keep a clean readable format it is best not to allow it to be abused.
I appreciated your answer.
Thank you