• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

RadioDJ will run under Linux

Started by joepcdr, January 04, 2013, 01:11:55 AM

joepcdr

I didn't know where to post this so I thought I put it here. For those of you who may have asked this and didn't get the answer you was looking for. I was able to successfully get RadioDJ to install and run using wine under Ubuntu 12.04. In fact it seems to run quite well. With the new version of wine and winetricks you can install the necessary dot net packages needing to make the software work.

Vanlen

Well that certainly will make a lot of people happy. 

Thanks for sharing
Forest Green - Music in Nature's Frequency
www.forestgreenradio.ca

garybaldy72uk

Quote from: joepcdr on January 04, 2013, 01:11:55 AM
I didn't know where to post this so I thought I put it here. For those of you who may have asked this and didn't get the answer you was looking for. I was able to successfully get RadioDJ to install and run using wine under Ubuntu 12.04. In fact it seems to run quite well. With the new version of wine and winetricks you can install the necessary dot net packages needing to make the software work.

Will do some Testing on this - I'm not 100% convinced they have managed to get the .NET working fully under Wine.

monkeypigs

This won't work on a 64 bit system as you can't install the .net files, so we've not made any progress from when we initially mooted this point.

I've also tried creating a 32 bit wine prefix, and followed various instructions dotted round the net to get it installed, all to no avail.

monkeypigs

OK, the good news is that on a 32 bit machine RDJ works and successfully and pretty easily. Net.2 is now included, however 3.5 still won't install under wine.

The 'latest version' is actually Wine 1.5 Beta (download and instructions here )

However, on our test machine the now playing and time remaining is garbled (1280*800). Also you can't drag files to the queue (or double click to add them)

Looks promising but on our machine at least there are limitations that would put most people off.

[attachment deleted by admin]

garybaldy72uk

Ok This looks very promising .... Beta Build 8 Installed in Wine and stream with the encoder plugin.

as above the graphics are a bit dodgy on the Laptop but this is possible going to be a Huge step forward i give it a few wine releases before everything works  as it should.

Just listening to the stream and it sounds so so few blips every now and then so nothing is perfect yet.

monkeypigs

Having played around for a while, yes it does work, but with limitations. First of all, you must install the guest additions to get a decent screen resolution.  You also have to configure wine to use a virtual desktop. Doing so from the wine config screen made no effect, all the important buttons at the bottom of RDJ were missing.

I had to manually specify the screen resolution of Wine's virtual desktop and start RDJ from the command line, something like

wine explorer /desktop="RDJ",1280x1024 C:\RadioDJ\RadioDJ.exe

Multiple resolutions were tried and although the buttons at the bottom of RDJ were visible, we had difficulties browsing categories in tracks manager (Where the tracks should be listed, there was just a white space with a thin red X right through it)

In addition to this, from experience, whilst we may be able to get RDJ working to a degree under wine now, you must realistically expect that an update could break it (either a new RDJ version or, more likely, an update for one of the Wine components or wine itself.)

Unless anyone has any better luck, I'd still say that Wine is not a suitable platform and if you're already running Linux, go for true virtual solution like VBox which works like a dream

Dalichisan

I'm asking myself if it is possible to run RadioDJ under Linux "natively" with Mono...
I'm installing a Fedora VM. I'll tell you if this works.

monkeypigs

Quote from: Dalichisan on January 15, 2013, 11:35:58 PM
I'm asking myself if it is possible to run RadioDJ under Linux "natively" with Mono...

I've never managed to get it working with Mono, but that's been on Ubuntu. If Fedora plays nicely with RDJ be interested to see what's been done to see if we can coax other distros into action!

monkeypigs

OK so after a lot of messing about, I have got further than before. Mono was having none of it, but Wine was happier after:-

sudo apt-get install mono-complete libmono-microsoft-visualbasic8*

Copy all the DLL files from the RDJ folder, change the filetype of all of the original ones from .dll to .so
Copy the original files with the .dll extension back in

sudo ldconfig

I pointed it to create a DB on our Server2012 box, but it was having none of it, so I pointed it to an existing RDJ DB.

At this point, RDJ seemed happy, it would list the existing tracks (but obviously not play them as the paths would be all screwed.

Created new category / subcategory, but kept getting error reading file when importing a directory.
To get around this, I had to configure Wine to use the local linux root as a local hard drive (so \ = Z:\) and then do the import.

We're now in a position where we have tracks listed, they play when you select one in the track listing, however when you try to play the queue you get a simple dialog saying "Path is empty" and it jumps straight to the history.

Clicking certain buttons (OK usually) does prompt if you want to exit RDJ, saying no here applies the changes you have made though.

So we're a bit further, can anyone else take this forward after todays experimentation?

gnaag

I am really interested in the "mono" way. It seems like it should work in the end. However, I cannot pass the error. The exact same situation is with RadioDJ.exe and Database Setup.exe

mono RadioDJ.exe
The entry point method could not be loaded

When I try verbose output, I get some methods calling, but I cannot see any obvious error.

mono --verbose RadioDJ.exe
converting method System.OutOfMemoryException:.ctor (string)
Method System.OutOfMemoryException:.ctor (string) emitted at 0xb6ef6b80 to 0xb6ef6ba3 (code length 35) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>:runtime_invoke_void__this___object (object,intptr,intptr,intptr)
Method (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>:runtime_invoke_void__this___object (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) emitted at 0xb6ef6bc0 to 0xb6ef6c4e (code length 142) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.SystemException:.ctor (string)
Method System.SystemException:.ctor (string) emitted at 0xb6ef6c50 to 0xb6ef6c73 (code length 35) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.Exception:.ctor (string)
Method System.Exception:.ctor (string) emitted at 0xb6ef6c80 to 0xb6ef6c98 (code length 24) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.NullReferenceException:.ctor (string)
Method System.NullReferenceException:.ctor (string) emitted at 0xb6ef6c98 to 0xb6ef6cbb (code length 35) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.StackOverflowException:.ctor (string)
Method System.StackOverflowException:.ctor (string) emitted at 0xb6ef6cc0 to 0xb6ef6cd9 (code length 25) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.AppDomain:DoAssemblyResolve (string,bool)
Method System.AppDomain:DoAssemblyResolve (string,bool) emitted at 0xb6ef6ce8 to 0xb6ef6f3f (code length 599) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>:runtime_invoke_object__this___object_sbyte (object,intptr,intptr,intptr)
Method (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>:runtime_invoke_object__this___object_sbyte (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) emitted at 0xb6ef6f58 to 0xb6ef6ffe (code length 166) [RadioDJ.exe]
The entry point method could not be loaded
converting method (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_virtual_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr)
Method (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_virtual_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) emitted at 0xb6ef7000 to 0xb6ef7086 (code length 134) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.Threading.Thread:.cctor ()
Method System.Threading.Thread:.cctor () emitted at 0xb6ef7088 to 0xb6ef70aa (code length 34) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_void (object,intptr,intptr,intptr)
Method (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_void (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) emitted at 0xb6ef70b8 to 0xb6ef7122 (code length 106) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method (wrapper alloc) object:Alloc (intptr)
Method (wrapper alloc) object:Alloc (intptr) emitted at 0xb6ef7130 to 0xb6ef71bd (code length 141) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method (wrapper managed-to-native) object:__icall_wrapper_mono_object_new_specific (intptr)
Method (wrapper managed-to-native) object:__icall_wrapper_mono_object_new_specific (intptr) emitted at 0xb6ef71d0 to 0xb6ef723a (code length 106) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.Runtime.ConstrainedExecution.CriticalFinalizerObject:Finalize ()
Method System.Runtime.ConstrainedExecution.CriticalFinalizerObject:Finalize () emitted at 0xb6ef7240 to 0xb6ef7262 (code length 34) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.Runtime.Remoting.Contexts.Context:Finalize ()
Method System.Runtime.Remoting.Contexts.Context:Finalize () emitted at 0xb6ef7268 to 0xb6ef728a (code length 34) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method System.Threading.InternalThread:Finalize ()
Method System.Threading.InternalThread:Finalize () emitted at 0xb6ef7290 to 0xb6ef72d1 (code length 65) [RadioDJ.exe]
converting method (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Threading.InternalThread:Thread_free_internal (System.Threading.InternalThread,intptr)
Method (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Threading.InternalThread:Thread_free_internal (System.Threading.InternalThread,intptr) emitted at 0xb6ef72f0 to 0xb6ef7376 (code length 134) [RadioDJ.exe]

DJ Garybaldy

Gnaag read this Topic http://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=3184.0 RDJ doesn't fully work under Mono Or wine as of yet. It's all to do with the .NET components not working right within wine.
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

bakeri666

Quote from: Dalichisan on January 15, 2013, 11:35:58 PM
In my head it should, but it may need some minor coding tweaks for some linux specific peculiarities (like the audio server system)...
how did your test go?

bakeri666

Quote from: DJ Garybaldy on April 04, 2013, 11:15:06 AM
Gnaag read this Topic http://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=3184.0 RDJ doesn't fully work under Mono Or wine as of yet. It's all to do with the .NET components not working right within wine.
I thought Microsoft were contributing to mono these days??

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: bakeri666 on May 01, 2013, 11:03:55 PM
I thought Microsoft were contributing to mono these days??

Here's a link to the Mono Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_%28software%29#Mono_and_Microsoft.27s_patents It would appear Microsoft are doing No such thing.

At the last test of RDJ on Wine it had some functionality but isn't 100%.
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11