• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Maria DB

Started by DJ Garybaldy, June 26, 2014, 10:12:27 AM

Marius

Quote from: nemoradio on June 27, 2014, 11:12:14 AM
Hi Gary !

Did you see my post here ?

http://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=5331.0

It's a fantastic tiny portable MySQL server lighter than MariaDB, and it works well with RDJ !

If the size is not a problem, MariaDB can also run as a portable application: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/portable-mariadb/
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: Marius on June 27, 2014, 11:21:24 AM
Switched one of my testing instances to MariaDB 10.
As they write in the documentation, the memory usage is higher than MySQL (about 100MB) on my system, which is really not a problem on today systems if it brings some performance on other fronts.

However, the good things seem to happen to the processor usage (Data collected from Resource Monitor with only the mysqld.exe service selected):

- On track change: 0.02
- On track search: 0.01

One after another, easy to install, perfect compatible from the RadioDJ point of view, performance seem to be higher at a first sight.
I will also test it more and share my thoughts.

I've certainly noticed a difference in how RadioDJ runs with this DB system. It's a lot snappier and loads rotations faster.

I've got 2GB of ram to play with and all processes are only using about 700mb of that. I can cope with that i think.  :bash:
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

DJ Garybaldy

The few days of testing Maria DB have left me with only one conclusion....

I won't be switching back to Oracle MySQL anytime soon. Maria DB doesn't seem as bloated as MySQL and it seems to be holding it's own .

Events Rotations & Jingles all loading fine RadioDJ is performing like a star no splutters no freezes .....

If only setting up Shoucast v2 was this stress free!  :bash:

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

HMC

Glad to hear that it's working great. When I mentioned mariaDB the other day I didn't know there weren't many using it yet. I just started using RDJ and I used mariaDB from the start. So I only know how RDJ works using mariaDB . It works great and is fast. It hardly uses any resources in terms of ram. My server is dedicated to RDJ so nothing else runs on it. I have 16GB ram and haven't seen it use more than 1.5GB total so far for the whole system. I will have two instances of RDJ playing.

It is very easy to install using the wizard and takes just a couple of minutes. Everything you know about MySQL pretty much works the same so there isn't much new for someone to learn. Same port, my.ini, root login etc. Anyone using it will be happy they did.

I definitely will not be using Oracle MySQL either as I've moved a way from it since that is basically what the tech community is doing as well. It works great and is enhanced more than MySQL is. I can tell you know I haven't seen any issues with it yet. I come from a tech/engineer background and my sites will be using mariaDB as well going forward on new setups.  Id love to see mariaDB be the official RDJ DB at some point.
Radio DJ 1.7.5 Update with MariaDB 10

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: HMC on June 29, 2014, 01:44:45 PM
Glad to hear that it's working great. When I mentioned mariaDB the other day I didn't know there weren't many using it yet. I just started using RDJ and I used mariaDB from the start. So I only know how RDJ works using mariaDB . It works great and is fast. It hardly uses any resources in terms of ram. My server is dedicated to RDJ so nothing else runs on it. I have 16GB ram and haven't seen it use more than 1.5GB total so far for the whole system. I will have two instances of RDJ playing.

It is very easy to install using the wizard and takes just a couple of minutes. Everything you know about MySQL pretty much works the same so there isn't much new for someone to learn. Same port, my.ini, root login etc. Anyone using it will be happy they did.

I definitely will not be using Oracle MySQL either as I've moved a way from it since that is basically what the tech community is doing as well. It works great and is enhanced more than MySQL is. I can tell you know I haven't seen any issues with it yet. I come from a tech/engineer background and my sites will be using mariaDB as well going forward on new setups.  Id love to see mariaDB be the official RDJ DB at some point.

I'm running mine  on system with just 2GB of RAM and did have 2 instances running the other day quite happily playing together.

Got 5 streams running as well and everything is just sitting back relaxed and happy.

I hadn't heard of MariaDB until you mentioned it. I'm always curious when it comes to learning new stuff.... Hence why I did the tutorial on setting it up.

I find it funny how with RadioDJ I've never had a database crash and I've been using it well over 3/4 years. Yet with a certain other automation program i was re-building the database ever 2/3 weeks.... :bash:

Maria DB looks like it could be good for people using RDJ.

I'd be interested to hear how it performs with a database that has over 30,000+ songs in it.

joshuatree44

I am using it as well. My PC running it and RDJ is seeming a bit more stable and faster. Thanks for this idea. It comes with cool features like HeidiSQL which is a great tool to use. I am liking this stuff that helps. Marius with the backup and updates features is making this program the best out there. But Maria took me about 2 mins to setup from install to finish. Thanks for this. Well done. Does it auto update or how does it get latest updates?

SnowHow

I was reading the documentation on it last night and I didn't see anything about an auto update feature. I would imagine the method is the same as MySQL.

One cool feature I found was that the concurrent connections are in a dynamic thread pool, not static. So if the needs of the server increases, it dynamically increases the allowable connections to the server to prevent bog downs. It does install with a max of 500 which can be increased in the my.ini file if needed.

J-

Jhonny

Well, I'm became the proud owner of a laptop
my daughter has another, and gave me this with vista and a 60GB disk.
I'm setting him so I can run rdj and mariabd.

so it will bi my laptop dancer  :hihi:   

The MariaDB MSI is working properly whit rdj, but we/I have to test it a bit more.

insofar it can be a winner and become easier to install as the mysql server and just have the HeidiSQL installed to.

And as HMC says.
Id love to see mariaDB be the official RDJ DB at some point.

There's a possibility, and the explanations become more easily from start to finish to use rdj because everyone knows what he is talking about.

But think it has to bi more tested.

I can't setup the smaller version of mariadb (mini server 11) on the laptop got errors.

Grtz. All
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Einstein says: Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler! (wise) this is just my life lesson you know.

I don't do drugs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The Radiodj tutorials site is now managed by Domstad radio .nl still  Just in English

joshuatree44

Since I installed MariaDB last night it has been running flawlessly. It is less of a resources hog. It is really nice to be seeing my machine rocking easier. I just noticed the service of MySQL56 is still in my services. I disabled it but how do I get it to go away? answer in CMD Prompt as Admin sc delete MySQL56 and all is well again. I am sure that there still is prob some orphan files still around. I hope not.

starlite

Did you guys setup MariaDB OVER your MySQL or start afresh?

joshuatree44

Just do what Snow says to do. they are two different programs. I used the backup feature in radiodj to backup my dbase. Then I went to services.msc in windows stopped MySQL. Then I installed Maaria and copied in the dbase and then uninstalled mysql. Bingo off to the races and faster.

Quote from: starlite on June 30, 2014, 05:50:53 AM
Did you guys setup MariaDB OVER your MySQL or start afresh?

starlite

Sounds good..  Doing it now..

starlite

Well no blood or pain.. Very simple install for a new instance so it starts all clean.

Noticed it came with buffer at 255 which Gary suggested and that it installed in in C:\Programs on XP.
I now also have Heidi in C:\Programs and but RadioDJ17 in C:\.

Must say after taking the RadioDJ db over to the data folder in Maria, it was flawless.
Just started Radiodj and there it was !

Now have mini_server11 on Win7 machine as well. Both ez pz :-)

Vanlen

Well, I bit the bullet and installed the latest version of MariaDB 64 bit.   You were right DJ Gary, painless :cool:

Cheers

Forest Green - Music in Nature's Frequency
www.forestgreenradio.ca

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: Vanlen on June 30, 2014, 02:26:15 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and installed the latest version of MariaDB 64 bit.   You were right DJ Gary, painless :cool:

Cheers

Welcome to the something something dark side Vanlen  :D

I'm running the 32 bit one and it's been up solidly now for over 2 days.....