• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Move RDJ to new PC (or same pc, new hard drive)

Started by michaeljwyo1, December 21, 2023, 07:06:14 AM

michaeljwyo1

Hi guys.  Had a hard drive go belly up.  It won't boot, but I can access the files.  I'm running version 1.8.2 and I know as far as copying the radiodj folder to the new install, that's a given.  Here is my biggest concern.  I am trying to avoid having to go through all 3500 songs and enable/disable the songs I want.  Is there any way at all to move things so I don't have to do this?  The music was on its own hard drive and is separate (that drive is fine) so I could give it the same drive letter again if that helps.

Michael

michaeljwyo1

...and replying to my own post - I also wanted to add that I do not have a backup of the database.  However I have access to the files on the drive, so I can get to it.  Not sure if it's that easy to "get" the database files right from the drive or if it's more complicated than that.
I want to say that it backed up every so often but not sure if it's in the RadioDJ folder.  If it is, I do have that folder.

M

DaveTheRave

This is why database backups are important it saves you headaches if the worst happens

I save my SQL backups to Google Drive so I don't lose all my hard work after rebuilding my library recently

I have back ups in storage going back to 182
AMD A8-9600
8GB RAM
Windows 10/11
RadioDJ 2045
MariaDB 11.2

stevewa

database files are typically stored like this:

C:\Program Files\MariaDB 10.4\data\

so since you can view and access files, you can search for that path, and also search for files with extensions .MYD (MySQL Data)

but if you can read files, then the hard drive is not belly up, you just need to try to fix the master boot loader record MBR, so it know where to boot windows from. you can typically do that from a windows rescue cd/dvd/ or usb stick. plenty of tutorials on the web.

michaeljwyo1

Thanks guys.  Yeah I know.  Procrastination gets the best of us.  So no backups of the DB.  But if I can access the DB itself, can I do anything with it?  I did find the files you mentioned, steve.  A whole data directory with maany .myd files and so forth. 
I've been a PC tech for almost 30 years.  Things have only gotten harder over the years and with UEFI and that kind of stuff, it makes it harder to fix things like this.  Tried numerous repairs.  It's the section on the drive where all the boot stuff is stored.  And it can't be moved, and things in that area are bad enough that they can't even be read to be able to be moved to another position on the partition.  It's a mess and has already reported the SMART errors and that it's failing.  I've still tried different things/scans/fixers to try to fix the partition so that it'll boot, but it won't.  I can get to files, just can't boot the thing.  That's why I asked if there's any way to take any of that data and rebuild the database and RadioDJ to the state they were.  I know i'm doubtful and the answer is that I'll probably have to start from scratch but I figured it was worth asking.