• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Newbie setting up 1st studio

Started by DJB, September 28, 2016, 11:46:32 PM

DJB

Hi,

I have been playing with some equipment to configure my first studio. My setup includes 1 pc running Radio DJ, this has a sound blaster 5.1 sound card as well as conexant onboard sound card, a 7 channel mixer and some powered studio monitors. I have followed the diagram of setting up radio dj with a mixer but my questions are:

My mixer doesn't have a 2 Track input, there is a 1\4" stereo jack input called "return". Is this the same thing?

and

why do i send my monitor back to the 2 track on the mixer? could i not just send it straight to some powered speakers?

sorry if these are stupid questions but like i said, this is the unknown to me.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

FreerunMedia

Quote from: DJB on September 28, 2016, 11:46:32 PM
Hi,

I have been playing with some equipment to configure my first studio. My setup includes 1 pc running Radio DJ, this has a sound blaster 5.1 sound card as well as conexant onboard sound card, a 7 channel mixer and some powered studio monitors. I have followed the diagram of setting up radio dj with a mixer but my questions are:

My mixer doesn't have a 2 Track input, there is a 1\4" stereo jack input called "return". Is this the same thing?

and

why do i send my monitor back to the 2 track on the mixer? could i not just send it straight to some powered speakers?

sorry if these are stupid questions but like i said, this is the unknown to me.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Well Brad, First i would like to know what kind of mixer you have. Monitors are there for listening so it's better to connect them to the "ctrlrm" ( ConTRoL RooM ) output. That way you can use a PFL and you can control the audio output without changing the main output when the volume is too loud. SOmetimes the volume control is the same as for the headphones so be carefull when listening at mindblasting levels on the headphones. Your speakers could do the exact same ;-)

The main output of RadioDJ, you need to connect that to either the 2 track input or 2 mono channels or one stereo channel on the mixer. The return input are most likely the returns effect bus. In some mixers this signal goes over everything, others you can control it by one of the "aux return" knobs.

Connect the main output from the mixer, to one of the line inputs of the computer. If you use a stand alone stream programm like BUTT, this will work fine. Using the stream plugin within RadioDJ, you could have a problem because when you press the line input button, it switches a selected line input within RadioDJ ( Options > Options > "Soundcards" tab > "Audio input" section ) with one second delay back to the main output of RadioDJ.

Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

DJB

Thanks for the reply Freerun.

I have had quite a successful afternoon playing. i now have my set up complete. i am using Voicemeeter Banana to handle all external inputs from my mixer. I have routed aux player 1 and 2 to my mixer vie center and rear speaker outputs and my monitor goes via front out of the onboard sound card.

Voicemeeter is sending all outputs to my 5:1 front out and BUTT picks up the whole audio from voicemeeter. So far so good. test broadcasts to follow  ;D

plauri

Hi DJB,
if you mention what kind of mixer you are using (as Freerun asked), maybe it could be usefull to somebody else configuring the same machine.
Funky Corner Radio
Radiodj v.2.0.4.5 (Windows 10)
http://www.funkycorner.radio
https://www.funkycorner.it
http://www.radiofunkycorner.com

BillyC

Like DJB(Brad) I too am a newbie to not only setting up my station but the whole internet radio process....hardware/software/etc... this is in addition to the fact that I'm tech challenged. It's the passion, so Im not afraid to jump in the pool. I agree with Plauri in reference to "what type" of mixer, this would be very helpful.

So here goes, my setup is a 2 computer system -1 for radiodj and 1 for streaming. My mixer is a behringer xenyz1002 fx, for which I have 1 mic and would like to run my turntable and cd player.

What is the recommended or standard setup for this?