Author Topic: Multiple SubCategory fro One Song  (Read 972 times)

andreslindo

• New User

Multiple SubCategory fro One Song
« on: February 15, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »
According to my experience with other Radio Automation Sofware, it's much easier to manage the rotation having one single song in multiple subcategories, instead of duplicate files in our library or inventing more workarounds for this.

I mean, we can use a single song for 3 different rotations, ex:

SubCategory High Rotation -> To use it for a top 40 rotation
SubCategory Weekend -> High energy to play during the weekend
SubCategory Night Songs -> To include the song on the nightly rotation

Recently I worked with Jazler which supports up to 2 subcategories, and the experience is so good.

If RadioDJ includes this feature I'd love it.

wolfradioau

• New User

• Personal Text
    No.1 for New Country in Australia
    • Follow us on Facebook
Re: Multiple SubCategory fro One Song
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
Definitely need multiple categories!

I play a party mix playlist every Friday night but it's so tiring having to update the playlist. It would be good if I could have a song in my 'high rotation' sub-cat as well as the 'party mix' sub-cat.

Other than uploading duplicate files what are some work arounds?

Tjoe70s

• New User

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:07:13 AM »
So I can't have the same song (file) in multiple categories?

PROducer

• Personal Text
    Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:35:53 AM »
So I can't have the same song (file) in multiple categories?
No, you would need to make a copy of the file (I think it would need a different filename as well) for each instance.

andreslindo

• New User

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 10:25:39 PM »
Hello Marius, I'd like to know if you have considered to include this feature in a future release.

Thanks.

PROducer

• Personal Text
    Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:00:41 PM »
I really don't see why people think they need the same song in multiple categories.  As Stinga said, multiple instances of the same song creates issues with play count, etc.

What should be done is re-think the categories so they can do what is wanted without duplilcates.

djunder

• New User

• Personal Text
    Lets rock!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 06:04:30 PM »
Hello

Yes as someone says, re-think the categories so they can do what is wanted without duplilcates the file.
The Categories and sub-categories (expeciality the sub-categories) must be increment by the user, as he like, for each song ou group of songs.

Need this one for sure.
Thanks

PROducer

• Personal Text
    Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 04:51:04 PM »
What should be done is re-think the categories so they can do what is wanted without duplilcates.
What I meant by this statement is the end user, not Marius needs to do better planning with categories.  There really should be no reason to have a song in multiple categories.

Argo82

• New User

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
+1

I'd like to see this feature happen, unless someone could explain an easier way to to this.

I don't know if RadioDJ is intended to be used like this, however some of our hosts create specific playlists, while others set rotations for automated shows. My understanding currently is if a host wants to setup a particular rotation for a show they would have to make a separate copy of each song that they wanted in the rotation and assign sub categories to it (for example: John Smith's Morning Melodies - High Rotation, Oldies, Low Rotation, Other). If another host wants a different rotation, or the same host has multiple shows with the same songs, they would have to make yet another copy of the file that they want part of the show. Is this correct? We have tried making large playlists, however they became too large to open. Would an M3U playlist work better instead of the default RadioDJ playlist format?

Is there a better solution for this? If not, I can see a real benefit to allowing multiple sub categories for a particular song.

mitchrapp

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 01:14:31 PM »
People think in different ways, and what works for you may not for another.  For me, it is so obvious to allow songs with multiple tags/genre/categories.  With a search filter to drill down, it can make on the fly song changes so much easier.   As a live presenter,  the mood and interest of the guests can require a playlist change.  3 or 4 guests might be for example talking about  Girl Rockers.    So I might play next 3 songs from girl rockers.  But if you rely on memory then you will be repetitive. Since I can't use multiple tags/genres,  I add "Girl Rocker" in the Album field.  Thus every new Rock track that has a girl rocker lead or band, I add "girl rocker".   Same goes for Rock Party starters, or pop party starter, Fun upbeat mood tags, and multiple other tags(identifiers) that help you to quickly use your song DB to create a stylized flow not just a bunch of random music.   The need to have main genre with sub genre so you can search both, is a must have, great for on the fly, and for playlist building.  Right now I have to use multiple lists & notes, or rely on online sources.  I can tell you for a fact that writers are not necessarily great playlist builders, their definition of what a rock songs might be can be so different than yours, thus complicating using outside sources.

I really don't see why people think they need the same song in multiple categories.  As Stinga said, multiple instances of the same song creates issues with play count, etc.

RadioDJ 2017, Multiple Live On Air Personality gigs each week.

Chip Douglas Mosley

• Personal Text
    Retired disc jockey and radio programmer
    • Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
I have several songs that would fit in multiple categories. For instance, for Veteran's Day, I want to be able to play patriotic songs that are also in another category for regular rotation (example: America by Neil Diamond in both 70s Music and Patriotic).

For a specific category for Halloween that also has songs that play in a years category (example: Frankenstein by Edgar Winters Group in both 70s Music and Halloween).

I now have duplicate copies of these songs set up in separate cateories. How would I set it up to use one copy for both categories?

TIA!
Chip Douglas Mosley
Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
www.jukebox927.com
Radio DJ user since 2016, Live365 since 2019
Now using v2.0.1.6 since June 13, 2019

Jhonny

• Personal Text
    Peace, enjoy life.it's over before you've lived it
    • Jhonny's RadioDJ tutorials.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 03:49:24 PM »
You can use special playlist. :angel:
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler!
I don't do drugs, I do tuts. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) visit https://radiodj.info

Testing RadioDJ v2.0.1.6 Beta

Chip Douglas Mosley

• Personal Text
    • Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 11:16:38 PM »
Jhonny, how do I do that? (Forgive me, I can be a little slow at times.)
Chip Douglas Mosley
Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
www.jukebox927.com

Jhonny

• Personal Text
    Peace, enjoy life.it's over before you've lived it
    • Jhonny's RadioDJ tutorials.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
You can make a m3u playlist from the folder where the special file are in and import it in the playlist maker.
or you can make a rotation with the use of a query like
first 2  standard tracks.
1 special track.
query code
haloween subcat number 47.
Code: [Select]
select  id from songs where $ForceRepeatRules$ and  enabled = 1 and song_type= 0 and id_subcat= 47 limit 1;
The rotation will look like.

R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler!
I don't do drugs, I do tuts. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) visit https://radiodj.info

Testing RadioDJ v2.0.1.6 Beta

Chip Douglas Mosley

• Personal Text
    • Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »
Thank you Jhonny! I'm setting up my Christmas music now so this will be a great help to me! :ok:
Chip Douglas Mosley
Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
www.jukebox927.com