Author Topic: weather podcast  (Read 2228 times)

dlw0125

• New User

• YUMMRadio  "Your Ultimate Music Mix"
weather podcast
« on: March 13, 2018, 03:42:22 AM »
Does anyone know of a national weather podcast that can be set as an event to run hourly?

Capt_Fuzzy

• Personal Text
    "Quiet numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" ~ Moe Howard
    • WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
Re: weather podcast
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
Does anyone know of a national weather podcast that can be set as an event to run hourly?
I'm not certain of this, but I think you can get hourly weather conditions and forecasts from the National Weather Service, in the US at any rate...
I've not looked into this in depth, so I have no idea how you'd make this work at this stage, but if it's possible, I would be willing to help you figure it out.

One thing to consider in this matter is who your station serves.
If you are running a LPFM station, then this could be useful for the community that you serve, if however, you are running a strictly 'internet' station, with a world-wide audience, then this would be all but useless to do.
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade
Proud & Satisfied "Long-term" RadioDJ User
(Currently making the transition to v2)

WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
The best mix of your favorites!

Compdoggie

• My Ebay Store! Rare Records and CD's
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:00:18 AM »
Here is the link to the feeds for the National Weather Service in the U.S.

http://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/seek.php?state=tn&Find=Find#XML

I have used text to speech for many years and here is a script that is easy to customize once you become familiar with running autohotkey.  I have posted these scripts in the past on this forum, however I think they are purged due to old age!  :)

Autohotkey is a free and easy script package and once installed on your windows computer, all you have to do the double click or run the script. Autohotkey even allows you to compile your script in to an executable  (.exe)  If you run your scripts as a .ahk ' you can mod the script at any time in a text editor, I like notepad++ because it has line numbers and you can easily debug your scripts
Copy and paste the following code into a text editor and save as weatherannounce.ahk  Get Autohotkey program and install on your computer.  Mod the script to save the .csv to your paths and set the value of the voice to the voice numbers on your computers SAPI text to speech engine.  0= default voice 1= next installed voice and on up depending on how many voices installed on your computer.

Note: may not work on 64bit OS, 64bit os does weird things with the sapi text to speech engines. You can find your voices under Windows Control Panel / speech recognition / text to speech

Code: [Select]
;
; Say time and weather autohotkey script by David Spence (Compdoggie)
;Find your local XML feed from the following url and setup the urldownloadtofile to save to your Hardrive
;Where to find your local weather XML feed =  http://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/seek.php?state=tn&Find=Find#XML

SetTimer, Killscript, -50000  ;Script will check weather every hour and announce time and weather conditions time in ticks refer to ahk for more info
{
Sleep 15000
}
UrlDownloadToFile, http://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/KMEM.xml, D:\RadioDJv2\Currentweather.CSV ;Notice here KMEM.xml is Memphis Tn find yours and replace the KMEM.xml
FileRead, xmldata, D:\RadioDJv2\Currentweather.CSV ;Notice here set your path to save the data
doc := ComObjCreate("MSXML2.DOMDocument.6.0")
doc.async := false
doc.loadXML(xmldata)
DocNode := doc.selectSingleNode("//current_observation/weather")
weather := DocNode.text
DocNode := doc.selectSingleNode("//current_observation/temp_f")
temperature := DocNode.text
DocNode := doc.selectSingleNode("//current_observation/relative_humidity")
humidity := DocNode.text
DocNode := doc.selectSingleNode("//current_observation/pressure_in")
pressure_in := DocNode.text
DocNode := doc.selectSingleNode("//current_observation/wind_dir")
wind_dir := DocNode.text
DocNode := doc.selectSingleNode("//current_observation/wind_mph")
wind_mph := DocNode.text
Gui, Add, Button, r1 w970 , OK ; Notice here you make your gui refer to autohotkey syntax
Gui, Show,x20 y2,*** %Weather% *** %temperature% Degrees *** %humidity% Percent Humidity *** Barometric Pressure %pressure_in% inches *** Wind from the %Wind_dir% At %Wind_mph% MPH

SayTime:
FormatTime, SayHour, %A_Now%, h ; get current hour
FormatTime, SayMinute, %A_Now%, m ; get current minutes
FormatTime, SayAMPM, %A_Now%, tt ; get AM/PM

If(SayMinute>0 && SayMinute<10) ; add the "oh" for minutes 1 through nine
SayMinute = oh %SayMinute%
If(SayMinute=0) ; if the current minute is 0, say oh clock instead of zero
SayMinute = oh clock
IfInString, SayAMPM, AM ; If AM, say a m instead of ameters
SayAMPM = A M
IfInString, SayAMPM, PM ; If PM, say p m instead of pmeters
SayAMPM = P M

SayTimeString = The time now is, %SayHour% %SayMinute% %SayAMPM% ,and the current weather, from the national weather service in Memphis Tennessee, %Weather% with a Current Temperature of, %temperature% degrees Fahrenheit, Relative Humidity is, %humidity% percent, with a barometric pressure of, %pressure_in% inches, and , the Wind, is from the %Wind_Dir% , at %Wind_mph% miles per hour, This has been your local weather, five minutes of news is next ; announce weather once Mod for your use

v := ComObjCreate("SAPI.SpVoice")
v.Voice := v.GetVoices().Item( 1 ) ; set the voice  Here is the voice value 1 is better for me than the 0 base voice
v.rate := -1 ; slow down speak
v.volume := 100
v.Speak(SayTimeString)
sleep 5000
Return

ButtonOk:
ExitApp
return

KillScript:
sleep 5000 ;
ExitApp

I ran this on my 2.0.0.3 setup tonight and it worked fine. Some of the newer voices are excellent and if kept short, can be very impressive.
Emerald 7 Space Beacon

7 Trillion Watts of fusion powered laser beacons located in the Alpha quadrant in the milky way galaxy!

Date Registered: April 16, 2013, 09:09:54 AM

Capt_Fuzzy

• Personal Text
    "Quiet numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" ~ Moe Howard
    • WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
This is something that needs to be 'pinned' or transcribed to a tutorials section, this is useful info that gets asked for or about rather frequently...
Nice work Compdoggie :cool:
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade
Proud & Satisfied "Long-term" RadioDJ User
(Currently making the transition to v2)

WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
The best mix of your favorites!

WVCB_AM_1410

• New User

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
We utilize Radio Forecast network. Easiest way to get updated weather for your area. Super nice folks.
5 reports per day (Morning, Mid day. Drive time, Evening and Overnight), and 4 on Saturdays and Sundays.

I set ours up as a internet stream and use the mp3 download address from the site page they will create for you. Spots are between 35 - 38 seconds. They will also use your call sign and station name.
It can not get any simpler than this

http://www.radioforecastnetwork.com/