Author Topic: Day and Night Rotation setup  (Read 1230 times)

AJFM

• New User

Day and Night Rotation setup
« on: June 18, 2018, 05:33:40 AM »
 :( :(

This is for a Community Radio Station with presenters on during the daytime but not after midnight.

I have been researching this idea of having separate DAY and NIGHT rotation for a while and have read through all the discussions I can find relating to it.

But I still don’t get how to do it without creating a complicated EVENT setup to act as a rotation.

The idea is thus:
Two automatic rotations

DAY TIME rotation 6am – 12 midnight

NIGHT TIME rotation 12midnight -6am

So, how do you set this up?

My only solution as suggested from other postings is to have a recurring EVENT trigged to start at 24:00:01 (12 midnight plus one second) and to stop at 05:59:59- one second before 6am.

But then I read that one should not have EVENTs running this long = 6hours at a time.

And it would be nice that the music isn’t cut off midway because it is time to change rotations.

Regarding the music/audio files for these two rotations I can obliviously create a separate directory for each.

Any solutions?

Thanks
Aj

PROducer

• Personal Text
    Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
Re: Day and Night Rotation setup
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »
:( :(

This is for a Community Radio Station with presenters on during the daytime but not after midnight.

I have been researching this idea of having separate DAY and NIGHT rotation for a while and have read through all the discussions I can find relating to it.

But I still don’t get how to do it without creating a complicated EVENT setup to act as a rotation.

The idea is thus:
Two automatic rotations

DAY TIME rotation 6am – 12 midnight

NIGHT TIME rotation 12midnight -6am

So, how do you set this up?

My only solution as suggested from other postings is to have a recurring EVENT trigged to start at 24:00:01 (12 midnight plus one second) and to stop at 05:59:59- one second before 6am.

But then I read that one should not have EVENTs running this long = 6hours at a time.

And it would be nice that the music isn’t cut off midway because it is time to change rotations.

Regarding the music/audio files for these two rotations I can obliviously create a separate directory for each.

Any solutions?
This is really quite easy to do.  You create one rotation for daytime, one for nighttime.  Only two events are required.  One at Midnight, to Load the overnight rotation, and the other at 6am to load the daytime rotation.  Each event should turn off auto-dj, clear the playlist, load the new rotation, then turn auto-dj back on.  This will change the music in the playlist to what you want at the proper time, and will start after the current song finishes, not cutting anything off.

You don't need to have separate directories for the music in the different rotations.  You just need to divide your songs into sub categories and genres that works for your formats.  Then you build your rotations from the sub categories & genres.

He-j

• Personal Text
    HEJ say JEH
    • Hej Radio
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:32:35 AM »
You are on the right way. You should use rotations and events.

When you have created categories with your music files the rotation automatically picks tracks from those categories.

I'm using a night and evening event each of 6 hours without any issue. It only loads 20 to 30 tracks as the event is activated.

You should set the night event at 23:59:55 and your day event is correct 05:59:55. If it doesn't load the event then set the time at 23:59:45 (depends how fast your PC is and/or how many tracks are being loaded).
Hej Radio ► Netherlands
https://hejradio.jimdofree.com/

AJFM

• New User

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »
How does the default rotation influence this setup?

As i understand it auto dj only runs from a single rotation. Whatever is shown in the top right hand corner of the home screen.

I don't understand how you would set an Event to turn off auto DJ clear the playlist, load the new rotation, then turn auto-dj back on. 

Can you step me through this?

thanks

He-j

• Personal Text
    HEJ say JEH
    • Hej Radio
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 02:40:42 PM »
See attachment.

You can leave out the action set sweeper category in your case (I have created different sweeper categories for morning, afternoon, evening and night. With the action set sweeper category you can start a specific sweeper category within an event).

Set the time at 00:59:50 and hour at 23.
If you want to repeat the event every day set all days and the event type to Repeat by day and hour.
Hej Radio ► Netherlands

AJFM

• New User

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
OK, i understand this first part.

How do i determine when this rotation will finish?

What have i missed?

AJFM

• New User

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:28:34 PM »
or is there no end time required because the next rotation takes over?
example:
 Rotation A Daytime starts at 05:59:30 - continues until

Rotation B Nighttime starts at 23:59:30 -continues until Rotation A takes over  :bash:

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 05:18:45 PM »
A rotation it is used as long it is loaded, so whenever do you need to switch to a different one, just use an event to do so.
As PROducer wrote, you only need to events, one to load the daytime rotation and one when you need to switch to the night one.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

He-j

• Personal Text
    HEJ say JEH
    • Hej Radio
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
In addition to the post of PROducer and Marius:

In my previous post you could see the night event.

In this post you can see the morning event (first attachment). The only difference is the time (hour set at 5) and the Event Name.

If you have similar events you can copy events (see the second attachment). Just give this event another event name, make your changes and save it.

More about rotations and events:
http://dj-jhonny.nl/new-rotations/rotation.php
http://dj-jhonny.nl/new-events/events.php
Hej Radio ► Netherlands