• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Mixer Help Please

Started by RFU, October 20, 2018, 03:28:50 PM

RFU

ok, I"m going to try this again, one more time.

I bought another mixer. Behringer Eurorack Mx 802A

This is my soundcard

Right now my monitor speakers are plugged into the speaker 1 port (green)

I'm using v1.8.2 with the SE Caster encoder. And v1.8.2 goes through breakaway pipeline to get to SE Caster

I also have a USB Sound card like this on a USB port at the front of the computer. I use that for headphones so i can listen to mp3 files using AIMP. But it's not really necessary any more because I have another computer that I use for mp3 processing and preparation now.

I have 2 studio condenser mics to hook up

Here are my RadioDJ soundcard settings

I have had problems in the past (many) trying to set up and configure the mixer and soundcard

So, I am asking your advice. How do I get this working?
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

stevewa

Well, you're not really describing what is NOT working first.
You plug you 2 condensor micropoohner into your B mixer, and make sure phantom power is on, and you do check 1,2 and see movement in the meters on the mixer.

Then how do you come out of your mixer, and into your encoder?

Do you want to come out of the computer main audio out for radiodj platylists, and go ito your mixer, and then combine the radio dj feed and the mic feed, and then go back into the computer, to the encoder, and send your encoded audio to a stream server like Shoutcast?

draw us a little diagram of how you think the cable should go.

and describe what is the breakaway pipeline

RFU

I want the signal from RadioDJ to come out of the computer, into the mixer, so I can use the mics, then back into the computer to the encoder

Breakaway pipeline is a virtual audio cable. It takes the signal from RadioDJ and sends it to the SE Caster encoder.

http://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=11277.0

Marius

DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

RFU

The problem has never really been the wiring

The problem has always been the sound card setting in RadioDJ

RFU

Using that link it seems to me with my soundcard,

green line in should come from my soundcard speaker 1
blue main mix out should go to the mic on my soundcard
purple monitor should come from my soundcard speaker 2 out?

and my monitor speakers would come from phones on the mixer?

stevewa

right now, with your monitor spkrs plugged into soundcard green port (spkr1), and RadioDJ playing audio, do you hear anything in your monitor spkrs to confirm that your breakaway cable assignments are setup correctly?

next, plug headphones into headphone port on 802a, unplug monitor spkrs from computer soundcard, and plug cable from soundcard green port, to line in 5/6. adjust volume levels on 802a, do you hear the audio playing from RadioDJ in your headphones?

next, plug in wires to 802a main out, to computer soundcard blue port (line-in)

verify the audio signal is going thru breakaway cables to your encoder input. i don't know if it has a meter display in the software?

update this post with your results

Marius

Quote from: RFU on October 20, 2018, 05:41:02 PM
Using that link it seems to me with my soundcard,

green line in should come from my soundcard speaker 1
blue main mix out should go to the mic on my soundcard
purple monitor should come from my soundcard speaker 2 out?

and my monitor speakers would come from phones on the mixer?

As you describe the problem, i'm not so sure that indeed wiring is not a problem, sorry. Firstly, no input is wired to the sound card microphone input, because it has a very high gain, instead use the line in input. As for monitor, why would you route it back to the sound card? Just plug the headphones to the mixer's headphone jack.

To sum up:
- The RadioDJ main output of your sound card must be plugged into a mixer channel (line channel); You can do the same for each assigned sound card like carts, aux etc;
- The monitor sound card output must be plugged into the "2 Track IN" input of your mixer;
- The monitor headphones/speakers must be plugged in the mixer phones jack output, or control room output. In the bottom right corner you have a potentiometer that allows you to listen either the plugged in channels, or the monitor. I also think that on your mixer you must push the "2 TK TO CTRL ROOM" to be able to listen the monitor.
- At the end, the mixer's main output must be plugged to your sound card's line input, in order to be able to feed the mixer signal to the breakaway.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

RFU

I had to order some 3.5mm to 6mm adapters.
I'm not ignoring the thread
As soon as they arrive (hopefully tomorrow) I'll be able to continue this

FreerunMedia

Ok the first thing i notice is the line output, that is the breakaway pipeline that is a virtual cable. Select line output for the main and switch it to stereo out LF and RF. ( Left Front and Right Front ) The green connection that is. The monitor/cue select that to for example LR and RR. ( Left Rear and Right Rear ) Yellow connector. Now you have the audio out from RadioDJ main and prelisten to the mixer.

Connect up the microphone to channel 1 of the mixer and turn on 48v for the mic to work. That switch is next to the power switch. Connect up the green connector from the PC to channel 5/6 and the other output ( yellow connector ) to 7/8 in. Now the output of the mixer, connect that up to the input of the computer. This is the blue one. The pink one is a microphone input and won't work well.

Now choose in the software on the streaming part, line input of the computer. and it should work. You connect your headphone and speakers to the mixer. This should work without any problems and as far as i can think of, the USB soundcard won't be needed.

If the different outputs aren't working, make sure that you have the right drivers installed. Otherwise you can select the main out to the on board green connector and the monitor/cue to the USB sound card. Connecting all up to the mixer is still the same.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

RFU

Quoteright now, with your monitor spkrs plugged into soundcard green port (spkr1), and RadioDJ playing audio, do you hear anything in your monitor spkrs to confirm that your breakaway cable assignments are setup correctly?

I did, but now no. The only way I could hear (monitor) the station was to launch a browser and play our listen live ap

Quotenext, plug headphones into headphone port on 802a, unplug monitor spkrs from computer soundcard, and plug cable from soundcard green port, to line in 5/6. adjust volume levels on 802a, do you hear the audio playing from RadioDJ in your headphones?

I did that, and it sounded like shit. It was also playing only one channel. I tried it with headphones and with my monitor speakers. Same result

Quotenext, plug in wires to 802a main out, to computer soundcard blue port (line-in)

I did not do that. I thought I had better figure out the shit sound problem first.

When I unplugged the cable to the mixer and plugged the monitor speakers back into the green port, I got a blue screen of death with an incompatible hardware error

when I restarted, all sounds settings in windows were lost. Breakaway pipeline was no longer my default playback device

And RadioDJ could not find the soundcard.Plus, google chrome kept giving me a 504 gateway timeout error on my website. I don't know if the request script had anything to do with that

After 4 or 5 system restarts RadioDJ found the soundcard. The soundcard settings on radiodj are back to the original settings shown above.

BUT...

On my radiodj computer, using my site "listenlive" app but chrome and firefox are showing the song title and artist, but nothing is coming through the speakers.

On my production computer, the sound is playing, but it seems to be playing the same track twice with a slight delay

RFU

When I turn of RadioDj, SE Caster is still getting a signal from somewhere and it continues to play the last 12 seconds of the song, in diminishing volumes for about 1 minute 35 seconds

RFU

I figured out the delay problem.

The monitor speakers are plugged into the soundcard. I had our player running in google chrome to try to get the speakers working again.

It's the "listen live" player on the broadcast computer that caused the delay

Somehow either breakaway pipeline or SE Caster is picking up the signal from the browser and rebroadcasting it

If I do't play the "listen live" app in chrome to monitor the station, there is no delayed repeat broadcast and I listen to the app on the production computer, it sounds fine

RFU

I have spent thousands in the last two years on equipment for this station and it seems like the sound problems get worse every time i try to make them better or add a mixer.  :'( Not to mention the time I have put into it

I really don't know what to think anymore

PROducer

Quote from: RFU on October 25, 2018, 04:07:23 PM
I did, but now no. The only way I could hear (monitor) the station was to launch a browser and play our listen live ap

I did that, and it sounded like shit. It was also playing only one channel. I tried it with headphones and with my monitor speakers. Same result

If by "Shit" you mean over modulated, my best guess is that you are feeding the output of the mixer into the microphone input of your soundcard instead of the Line input.  The mixer output will be at line level (amplified) and the microphone input is expecting a signal at mic level (unamplified) and is amplifying it.  Also, the microphone input is a mono input (single channel), that is why you're hearing only one channel.