• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Mixer Help Please

Started by RFU, October 20, 2018, 03:28:50 PM

RFU

NO. it's only playing one channel, and badly. And I'm talking about the sound coming from spkr1 to the mixer. I never got to plugging the mixer back into the computer. I figured out the adapters I got today are shit. Now I have to find other ones

In the mean time, I am thinking of buying a new sound card Sound Blaster Creative Labs Audigy SB0230 (SB1394) PCI card

Any thoughts?
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

stevewa

adapters are usually never affecting sound quality, unless the internal solder points are broken.
it must be something else going wrong.

try 1 thing at a time.

take photos of cable connections and upload photos to imgur then link to the here so we can view your cable connections and software settings.

can you plug your headphones directly into your computer soundcard output, and do you hear any sound while radiodj is playing? don't describe it as shit, use better words to say distorted, or too soft etc...

RFU

THere is no sound at all when you connect the headphones to the soundcard
even when I play our website player in the browser there is no sound
and as I said before, using the website player sends the signal to the encoder and to the internet with a 12 second delay
the headphones and the monitor speakers work fine on another computer

the 3.5mm to 6mm adapters i bought are all crap. when they're connected you can move the 3.5mm connector inside the adapter which affects the sound quality. and one of the adapters seems to be plugged and the 3.5mm pin won't even go into it

stevewa

wow you just seem to be having the worst luck with this.  :(

keep the headphones plugged into the soundcard headphone jack (usually light green)
https://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/sound-card-color-code.php

now go into windows, control panel, hardware and sound, sound, manage audio devices

playback tab, find the headphone jack listing, right click and TEST
listen to see if you hear anything in the headphones...
if that works, the headphones are good, the soundcard is good, but your audio signal from radiodj is not getting to the soundcard spkr output. until we get this first step fixed, the rest of the stuff doesn't mater at all yet.

you need to post some screen captures of your settings for the breakway cables software.

RFU

Testing the playback devices
I can here the tones in
Speakers - C-Media PCI Audio Device
and
Digital Output - C-Media PCI Audio Device

Here are the playback settings

RFU

and here are the sound recording settings

RFU

and here are the radioDJ soundcard settings

FreerunMedia

I didn't read the rest of it but i noticed one thing. When you connect the loudspeaker out to the mixer it sounds horrible. Now tthe first thing that comes to my mind is do you have the right connection made up? Reason for that is that you also wrote that you only hear one channel. You need this cable : https://www.christiaanse.nl/webwinkel/index.php?item=instrumentkabel-stereo-mini-jack-_-2x-mono-jack-1_5-of-3-m&action=article&aid=1163&lang=NL otherwise it won't work. The signal out of the computer is stereo and the connections in the mixer are balanced mono. Also set your balance knob to centre, that also will help a lot.

In your case you need 2 sets of this cable. Connect it up as i wrote earlier and it should work.

Just folow what i wrote and you should get it to work.
Ok the first thing i notice is the line output, that is the breakaway pipeline that is a virtual cable. Select line output for the main and switch it to stereo out LF and RF. ( Left Front and Right Front ) The green connection that is. The monitor/cue select that to for example LR and RR. ( Left Rear and Right Rear ) Yellow connector. Now you have the audio out from RadioDJ main and prelisten to the mixer.

Connect up the microphone to channel 1 of the mixer and turn on 48v for the mic to work. That switch is next to the power switch. Connect up the green connector from the PC to channel 5/6 and the other output ( yellow connector ) to 7/8 in. Now the output of the mixer, connect that up to the input of the computer. This is the blue one. The pink one is a microphone input and won't work well.

Now choose in the software on the streaming part, line input of the computer. and it should work. You connect your headphone and speakers to the mixer. This should work without any problems and as far as i can think of, the USB soundcard won't be needed.

If the different outputs aren't working, make sure that you have the right drivers installed. Otherwise you can select the main out to the on board green connector and the monitor/cue to the USB sound card. Connecting all up to the mixer is still the same.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

stevewa

@RFU
Quote from: RFU on October 26, 2018, 03:04:41 PM
Testing the playback devices
I can here the tones in
Speakers - C-Media PCI Audio Device
and
Digital Output - C-Media PCI Audio Device

Do you NOT heard any test tones from the Breakaway cable connection?

Please post a screen capture of your breakaway cable configurations

RFU

https://www.christiaanse.nl/webwinkel/index.php?item=instrumentkabel-stereo-mini-jack-_-2x-mono-jack-1_5-of-3-m&action=article&aid=1163&lang=NL

I had 2 of these cables custom made today and I bought new adapters.

The mics and the headphones are are plugged into the mixer using the adapters

I can hear the mics through the phones. So the mixer works fine

RFU

Here's a photo of the Breakaway Pipeline Control Panel

RFU

Quote from: stevewa on October 27, 2018, 02:07:14 PM
@RFU
Do you NOT heard any test tones from the Breakaway cable connection?

NO. If I could hear tones from breakaway pipeline I would be able to hear the music playing too

I did the test for breakaway pipeline and it broadcast the test tones to the internet, not to my headphones

stevewa

i can't figure out the concept or the settings of Breakaway Pipeline.  :'(

I assume, for some reason, you can't setup SE Caster to use the output of your soundcard line out as the input signal for SE Caster, and therefore you need to use the Breakaway Pipeline?

can you configure it to have audio output going to 2 devices?
1 to your SE Caster encoder, and the other to your computer soundcard output, so you can monitor the radiodj playback thru your mixer?

PROducer

I'm with Stevewa on Breakaway Pipeline... not familiar with it, can't figure out a lot of what's showing on that screen.

Keep at it, get a good signal to your mixer, then a good signal back to the computer and out onto your stream.  Start by eliminating Breakaway Pipeline and see if you get it to work that way.  If so, then we know what the problem was!

A couple of things to consider as well... (1) I see your Sample Rate in Breakaway Pipeline is set to 48000, make sure everything is set to the same sample rate.  I've had issues on my work production machine where one thing had a different sample rate, and created a conflict.  (2) If you need a Virtual Audio Cable, maybe try Voicemeeter Banana.  A lot of people on this forum are familiar with that, and with a GUI that looks like a mixer, makes it a little easier to set up.

We're all going to get this to work eventually... it's working for many others, so it has to for you too!

RFU

Ass I said, this has been a continual problem for the last couple of years. Now I have a new mixer, studio mics, custom made cables, etc and I am determined to get it working

When I changed from shoutcast to zeno media as my primary streaming service, I replaced the encoder that can't be named with SE Caster. RadioDJ did not "see" SE Caster, which is why I installed breakaway pipeline to get the signal to the internet. (Yes, I tried BUTT and MB Recaster and they didn't work)

It seems to me that at this point, RadioDJ is not using my hardware soundcard. So maybe we can try to fix that problem first?