Author Topic: Silence detector  (Read 745 times)

neutralhills

• Personal Text
    Nil sine labore.
    • squirrel.fm
Re: Silence detector
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 04:28:14 PM »
Therefore, I think, a silent detector would be good if something goes wrong.

The last dead air I had was caused by an unexpected Windows reboot on the main system, so having silence detection on that system wouldn't have helped. My automation and encoders are on separate PCs with audio processing between the automation and the encoding. When I have dead air it could be the automation, it could be the audio processing (either something died on the rack or the Breakaway One PC borked) or the encoder itself has gone down. Here's what happens on my hot spare automation:

• Pira CZ Silence Detector is set to monitor for 15+ seconds of dead air. It is monitoring the end stage of the audio processing right before the audio hits the encoder (RadioCaster).
  • Passing this threshold trips the alarm condition.
  • Pira runs a batch file that sends a kill command to RadioCaster on the encoding system in case it is still running and the fault is earlier in the chain.
  • Pira spawns an instance of RadioDJ (set for AutoDJ and AutoPlay) and RadioCaster (auto connect) on the hot spare. This takes about 10 seconds and I'm back on air within 30 total seconds, albeit with a bit of my "sound" missing due to lack of audio processing.
  • Pira sends an email to my phone, which is automatically translated to an SMS message letting me know my primary system just coughed out a hairball.

I don't have Pira set to restart if the audio comes back as I generally remote in from my phone to see what the hell happened (which is usually Windows). I can run a batch file on the primary automation that restarts RadioCaster on the encoder system while spawning RadioDJ on the main automation. If I don't see the audio coming in on RadioCaster, I know the fault is somewhere in the audio processing chain.

Anyhow, that's my setup. The hot spare is an off-lease PC from CDI computers (pic below of when I was setting it up). It's a Dell Optiplex 790 with 8 GB of RAM and it cost me about $150 delivered including the used FullHD monitor. Pira CZ Silence Detector is free.

I suppose it would be okay if Marius put silence detection into RadioDJ, but it's not something I need or would use.
Squirrel FM : Always playing with our nuts!
www.squirrel.fm
Studio systems running RadioDJ, PlayoutONE, & Rivendell
Flow 8 Deck & PlayIt Cartwall for live mixing and assist.
Remote systems running RadioDJ
Pioneer DDJ-SX control surface.

djclewes

• Personal Text
    Name is Rich feel free to say hi
    • South Lanarkshire Radio
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 12:59:06 PM »
No matter if people want it or not it has turned in to a popular topic in future requests so surely that does give a hint that to some it would be a good plugin to have and others could disable or use it has a back up
Owner of South Lanarkshire

neutralhills

• Personal Text
    Nil sine labore.
    • squirrel.fm
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »
No matter if people want it or not it has turned in to a popular topic in future requests so surely that does give a hint that to some it would be a good plugin to have and others could disable or use it has a back up

Only if we can get this pushed well back in line behind my ASSISTED button being orange and AUTOMATED being green. Much more important.
Squirrel FM : Always playing with our nuts!
www.squirrel.fm
Studio systems running RadioDJ, PlayoutONE, & Rivendell
Flow 8 Deck & PlayIt Cartwall for live mixing and assist.
Remote systems running RadioDJ
Pioneer DDJ-SX control surface.