Author Topic: mp3gain - what level  (Read 718 times)

sfx

• New User

mp3gain - what level
« on: January 30, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »
Hey,

I'm getting my music collection ready for RadioDJ and I'm using MP3Gain to level all files. But, what level should I use? What's best for the auto mixing of RadioDJ? Default is 89 db, but that might be too low?

Thanks!

bdclaus

• New User

Re: mp3gain - what level
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 05:34:28 PM »
I set mine 82.9 as default and use MaxNo-clip Gain for each file. I have found you may still get some files as low as 77db that are still clipped.

Eddy73

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »

leonnormanradio

• New User

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:37 AM »
on mine i go to Options click Advanced, tick the box which says Enable "Maximizing" features then after that select all my tracks click right hand button and press Max-No Clip gain works perfectly for me

country101

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 06:50:55 PM »
why in GODS NAME would you do this to your audio! I used to run MP3 Gain but I stopped since most of my audio is now FLAC. There is no reason to use a leveler on your audio. It makes it sounds like ass. Just use the auto gain in RDJ. Never ever compress your audio. >:D

plauri

• Funky Corner Radio
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:39:57 AM »
why in GODS NAME would you do this to your audio! I used to run MP3 Gain but I stopped since most of my audio is now FLAC. There is no reason to use a leveler on your audio. It makes it sounds like ass. Just use the auto gain in RDJ. Never ever compress your audio. >:D

One reason to level your audio can be that if you use sweepers and you set them at a certain level, if you have your tracks sound too loud you would not hear the sweeper.
Funky Corner Radio
http://www.funkycorner.it
http://www.radiofunkycorner.com

Vanlen

• Music for your senses
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 03:14:35 PM »
The standard is -3db using normalize and not compression of any kind.
Forest Green - Music in Nature's Frequency
www.forestgreenradio.ca

plauri

• Funky Corner Radio
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
The standard is -3db using normalize and not compression of any kind.

Right, mine are all set at -3db  :cool:
Funky Corner Radio
http://www.funkycorner.it
http://www.radiofunkycorner.com

country101

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 01:24:25 AM »
I am sticking to uncompressed. I would not level anything.

bdclaus

• New User

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 04:29:19 PM »
I find that most record labels are over processing their music. On average they are +1.5 to +3db clipping.
As an example on a 20 songs the breakdown is usually for me, 8 songs Clipping at +3.0db, 10songs Clipping at +1.5db, 1 song at 0db and 1 song at -1.5. Using MP3 Gain at max no clip gain I bring them down to 0db.

PROducer

• Personal Text
    Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 07:33:33 AM »

MP3 Gain (Replay Gain) does not alter the audio.  It calculates How much gain to add or subtract to make all your  files sound similar in loudness, and writes that value to an ID3 tag, which some audio players will read & use when playing back.  There is no re-compression done.

Jhonny

• Personal Text
    Peace, enjoy life.it's over before you've lived it
    • Jhonny's RadioDJ tutorials.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
 :cool: PROducer
also prevents the listener from making the sound increasingly louder or softer on listening!
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler!
I don't do drugs, I do tuts. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) visit https://radiodj.info

Testing RadioDJ v2.0.1.6 Beta

FreerunMedia

• Personal Text
    Proud user of RadioDJ
    • Radio 251 , Gewoon gezellig
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
MP3 Gain (Replay Gain) does not alter the audio.  It calculates How much gain to add or subtract to make all your  files sound similar in loudness, and writes that value to an ID3 tag, which some audio players will read & use when playing back.  There is no re-compression done.

I don't know what it's doing to the MP3 but the last time i tried, a lot of the MP3's sounded like crap. Even when encoded in 320kbps at 44k1, it wasn't doing anything good. Oh the loudness and volume were a little better but it sounded like it was 128kbps. When i noticed that, i revert everything back to the normal settings and all was sounding ok.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

PROducer

• Personal Text
    Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 06:52:34 PM »
I was never happy with mp3Gain.  I tried the replay gain plugin in Foobar 2000 and continue to use that to level my audio.