Author Topic: Stop Win10 Automatic Updates  (Read 381 times)

KJ6EO

• Personal Text
    Omnia Pro Radio
    • 101.5 FM KZNQ Santa Clarita, CA
Stop Win10 Automatic Updates
« on: February 24, 2019, 03:28:27 AM »
Hello and thanks for reading my post.  I know this subject might be a little off topic for this forum.  But, I thought I'd ask anyway as most likely some of you running RDJ have had to conquer this Demon.  A friend of mine, a fellow Radio Station is running RDJ on Win 10.  He's tried all the fixes available on the WEB to stop the Win 10 automatic update curse, without success.  Today a Win 10 update come through and he's been off the air for an hour so far with maybe another hour to go.  Has anyone running RDJ on WIN10 found a fix that really works?  Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions you might have.

Jhonny

• Personal Text
    Peace, enjoy life.it's over before you've lived it
    • Jhonny's RadioDJ tutorials.
Re: Stop Win10 Automatic Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:32:51 AM »
put win 10 as a limitit paid internet connection low bite download
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler!
I don't do drugs, I do tuts. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) visit https://radiodj.info

Testing v.2.0.1.5 beta

Jhonny

• Personal Text
    Peace, enjoy life.it's over before you've lived it
    • Jhonny's RadioDJ tutorials.
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler!
I don't do drugs, I do tuts. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) visit https://radiodj.info

Testing v.2.0.1.5 beta

mitchrapp

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:21:35 AM »
ou can set when Windows does updates and delay some updates as long as a year, but critical updates only 30 days.
this might help https://goo.gl/ekPRsp

some other precautions, I use voicemeeter Banana digital mixer and the virtual audio cables. Windows 10 update has been renaming them and overwritten the drivers on 2 of the drivers 2x.  So also lock down and NOT allow Win10 update to change drivers without permission.

If you don't schedule updates, make sure before going on air if an update is pending.  I have had update bring my sys to a crawl just as I started a show, not good.

You can see here I have them delayed
RadioDJ 2017, Multiple Live On Air Personality gigs each week.

KXOL1660AM

• New User

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:47:18 PM »
 :ok:

It's even easier than you would think to stop updates...

Add all the Windows Update URLs to your Windows HOSTS file with the loopback IP address set for all of them,  like so:

update.microsoft.com                 127.0.0.1
windowsupdate.microsoft.com     127.0.0.1
[ You need to list all of them, which can be found @ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/system-center/configuration-manager-2007/bb693717(v=technet.10) ]

That's an article on how to setup a firewall to ALLOW windows updates, but if you use the list to block, it works as well.

This means you are not limited to delaying updates, it won't ever be able to even check for them.

This allows you to effectively have an air gap firewall, as far as Windows Updates are concerned.

I have a system running Windows 10 this way over 2 years now, and Windows 7 machines that have used this technique over 5 years.  (I manually download any updates I actually want on another machine, then transfer them over the network and install manually)

Windows Firewall rules can do the same thing... go in and remove the included Update and Microsoft pass rules or just change them to block rules...  (Newer versions of Windows only)

If you run a 3rd party firewall, the same applies... Add blocking rules for all of *.microsoft.com on the machine you want to NEVER update automatically.  Don't forget, *.windowsupdate.com and the others listed on the page I linked.

If that page is removed at some point, just google "firewall list windows update list"  There should be a few sites with the complete list of URLs or IP addresses to ALLOW or BLOCK.

It really is easier than you would expect.

Your helpful friend,
Aaron

charlieobrien

• New User

• Big 8 Radio - Classic Hits From The Motor City
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 05:24:41 PM »
Aaron:

thank you VERY MUCH. I have all mine set to max delay, but some you can't avoid. I'll try this on my win10 machine running RDJ. I need it air gapped - no updates at all. My main workstation - happy to update it.

Charlie O'Brien
Big8Radio.com
www.big8radio.com
https://live365.com/station/a87486

packzap

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 06:43:07 AM »
Clever Aaron! :cool:

Vanlen

• Music for your senses
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 06:59:41 PM »
Bonus +1
Thanks
Forest Green - Music in Nature's Frequency
www.forestgreenradio.ca

stevewa

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »
Aaron, also add googleadservices to the hosts file.... advertisements be gone!  :cool: