• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

How to make commercials sound louder

Started by Robert L-Mayer, May 17, 2019, 05:58:54 PM

Robert L-Mayer

I use Radio DJ for music and some pre-recorded messages (let's say commercials) in a shop.
Music must sound in background, but commercials must sound much louder (maybe even 10db louder).
I use Stereo Tool to even different music tracks volume, and of course it adjusts also commercials volume.
Is there some clever way to communicate with 3rd party app like Stereo Tools and tell to adjust master volume in special moments when playing commercials? Or maybe even whole PC output level?
If it's not possible with Stereo Tool, can I do it with internal Radio DJ audio processing?

Music Box

you could edit the spots all at +1 db and the music 0.89 with mp3 gain or with audacity, audition etc, etc,
You need to give your spots more dynamics.

He-j

Within the CUE Editor you have the option Loudness (it is at left buttom section MISC). Here you can increase/decrease the volume of a track.

As I'm not using this function I don't know if Stereo Tool is compressing the volume if you increase the volume within the CUE Editor. Just try it.

There have been several posts about the Audio Processing option in RadioDJ. Just enter Audio Processing in the Search function.

This is one of the posts: https://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=11485
Hej Radio ► Netherlands
https://hejradio.jimdofree.com/

Robert L-Mayer

Maybe there is some way to route files from special category to other output?
Then I could play commercials via second sound card and add volume to them by external audio mixer.
I see, that there are possibility to do it with overlay files, but can it be done for specified files in the playlist?
I can set commercials as sweepers and route them to sound card 2, but when I call them in playlist, they are played via main sound card.

Calypso

You don't want to annoy your listener, and playing commercials louder does just that. There are "clever ways" that commercial developers use to let theirs pop out through certain types of audio processing themselves, but what works for the processing chain of one station may not work for another.