• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Computer memory and RDJ Performance

Started by Chip Douglas Mosley, September 19, 2019, 01:09:19 AM

Chip Douglas Mosley

I hope you won't think this question stupid...

I have 4.00 Gig of memory installed in my 64 bit processor (3.80 useable). If I add another 4 gig, will it let Radio DJ run easier? I'm having problems with hesitations in event starts and I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate them. I have a couple of other things running in background (weather watch and Rocket Broadcaster Pro running constantly and occasionally Cool Edit Pro and Voxal to load audio updates).

Will it work?

Thanks in advance!
Chip Douglas Mosley
Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
www.jukebox927.com
Radio DJ user since 2016, Live365 since 2019
Upgraded to v2.0.4.5 on January 25, 2024

ignitenz

More ram is always good in my book, though whether it fixes your problem? Not sure.

Have you tried these suggestions from Gary & Marius? You'll need to scroll down the page a little...
https://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=10700.0

Cheers.

stevewa

please specify cpu model & speed, operation system version, storage device type.

also, watch windows task manager performance graph, and performance monitor, to see if memory is being maxed out when those bad things occur.

Chip Douglas Mosley

Here's what I have:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 B86 Processor 3.20 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GHz (3.80 GHz useable)
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Pro
Build: 17763.737
Internal Hard Drive, 464 GB storage

Thanks stevewa!
Chip Douglas Mosley
Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
www.jukebox927.com
Radio DJ user since 2016, Live365 since 2019
Upgraded to v2.0.4.5 on January 25, 2024

stevewa

Windows 10 is the culprit.
There is no way that huge effin elephant win10 can run on 4GB
Add minimum 8GB of ram preferably 12,

Calypso

Quote from: stevewa on September 20, 2019, 01:37:19 AM
Windows 10 is the culprit.
There is no way that huge effin elephant win10 can run on 4GB
Add minimum 8GB of ram preferably 12,

Don't "overestimate" the processor; it's quite an oldie and passmark-wise comparable to a J1900 which I wouldn't use for RadioDJ incombination with an encoder. Especially when you also use some kind of audio processing on the system.

What I would do, before adding anything to a machine, is watching with Taskmanager what is happening (CPU/Memory/Disk IO) when the problems occur.