RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum

Inline Time Sync

Inline Time Sync
« on: September 25, 2019, 06:30:30 AM »
I'd really like to see inline time sync points. Essentially you would setup certain tracks so that they would be able to have a timing target associated with them. If a track has a timing target or sync point, when that time arrives all tracks before the timing target are removed from the playlist and the timing target will play after the current track finishes. This is meant more for time syncs withing an hour without clearing the playlist as you still need the remainder of the playlist to stay loaded.

This is more for keeping the playlist on-time within the hour. At hours end you'd just run any TOH events you have programmed.

What are your thoughts on timing targets and sync points within an hour?
RiseRadio.org // EncoreMediaSystems.com

Offline Chip Douglas Mosley

• Retired disc jockey and radio programmer
    • Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
Re: Inline Time Sync
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 01:11:28 AM »
I like the idea of timing targets and sync points. My current playlist, using Auto DJ, is set up in ten minute segments where the playlist updates every 10 minutes, deleting everything in the playlist when the update occurs and loading a new playlist. It does keep my clock on track. (In the event of short songs, I have track rotation programmed in after a clear playlist command to use as fill music.)

Adding to this, I would like to have a way to link events together so that when the playlist updates, it will still play the "linked" events before updating, i.e., a jingle could be linked to a song so in the event an update occurs after the jingle plays but before the song that follows the jingle plays. I used to work with a Schafer tape automation system that had this kind of linking feature.

I hope what I've written makes sense. I'm still on pain pills from my hip replacement. :huh:
Chip Douglas Mosley
Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
www.jukebox927.com
Radio DJ user since 2016, Live365 since 2019
Now using v2.0.2.0 since January 19, 2020

Offline FreerunMedia

• Proud user of RadioDJ
    • Radio 251 , Gewoon gezellig
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
If it's only a matter of clearing playlist, why not use an event to do that on any giving time you want or need? Just build an event, set it on the time you want and put in the actions you want in that event. In your case you could use clear playlist and set rotation or something like that.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 08:46:34 PM »
If it's only a matter of clearing playlist, why not use an event to do that on any giving time you want or need? Just build an event, set it on the time you want and put in the actions you want in that event. In your case you could use clear playlist and set rotation or something like that.

I use an external scheduler and my whole hour loads at once. RDJ only does the playout and no scheduling for me. Therefore I'd like to be able to drop elements in the playlist after a certain time to move onto another element without needing to clear anything.

Currently the only time I clear a playlist and load another one is at 58:15 in the hour.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »
I use an external scheduler and my whole hour loads at once. RDJ only does the playout and no scheduling for me. Therefore I'd like to be able to drop elements in the playlist after a certain time to move onto another element without needing to clear anything.

Currently the only time I clear a playlist and load another one is at 58:15 in the hour.

Use a track with a manual event (either at start or end) attached to it, and in the event you can do whatever you like. That track you can refer to in your (externally created) playlist. I do something similar: whenever a certain event (outside of my playout system) occurs, I insert a certain track (only consisting of 0.1s of silence) in my playlist as next track (through the REST interface).

That track has a manual event attached to it at start that clears the playlist and stops the playout. But you can do whatever you want in that event.

Offline PROducer

• Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
Use a track with a manual event (either at start or end) attached to it, and in the event you can do whatever you like. That track you can refer to in your (externally created) playlist.
I do this s well, I have "Trigger" files (0.1 sec of silence) that do manual events like play a teaser, adjust things for daylight savings & standard time adjustments or add a fill song to the end of the hour if it's short.  Works great.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 07:17:27 AM »
I'm not looking for inline events. I already know how to do that. What I'm trying to do is move to a particular part of the playlist without needing to clear/reload anything. The point of this is to move the playlist forward to a point in time that is already loaded into the playlist. I'm currently trying to find a screenshot I have of what this looks like in WideOrbit.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 11:11:20 PM »
This is what I'm looking for:
For Slot Mode:

For List Mode:

Offline FreerunMedia

• Proud user of RadioDJ
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
What i see in the photo's is something like Dalet or Omniplayer or GML Audisi one. Those are advanced softwarepacks and yes they can do that. The "placeholder" i can see, you can do that with an event. Just start the "EVENT" at the time you want to start a track or news or clear list or somthing like that.  Within the same event you can load up anything you want, like a playlist generated by 3rd party software. You can do that with a delay if you want. You won't see the "placeholder" in your playlist but can see it count down in the bottom right corner. Give it the right name and you can see what is coming up like "placeholder NEWS" or something like that.

Could this be a solution you can use?
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
What i see in the photo's is something like Dalet or Omniplayer or GML Audisi one. Those are advanced softwarepacks and yes they can do that. The "placeholder" i can see, you can do that with an event. Just start the "EVENT" at the time you want to start a track or news or clear list or somthing like that.  Within the same event you can load up anything you want, like a playlist generated by 3rd party software. You can do that with a delay if you want. You won't see the "placeholder" in your playlist but can see it count down in the bottom right corner. Give it the right name and you can see what is coming up like "placeholder NEWS" or something like that.

Could this be a solution you can use?

I don't think that would work for what I'm trying to have done. What I hear you saying is fire off an event and have a time delay with it. When the time delay expires load the content needed.

The problem I'm facing is that my content will already be loaded into my playlist. And loading it separately isn't an option here. The ability to move forward in the playlist to a predefined point at a predefined time is essential.

A lot of the smaller automation systems (StationPlaylist, PlayItLive, and PlayoutONE) all are able to do this.

Offline FreerunMedia

• Proud user of RadioDJ
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
I don't think that would work for what I'm trying to have done. What I hear you saying is fire off an event and have a time delay with it. When the time delay expires load the content needed.

The problem I'm facing is that my content will already be loaded into my playlist. And loading it separately isn't an option here. The ability to move forward in the playlist to a predefined point at a predefined time is essential.

A lot of the smaller automation systems (StationPlaylist, PlayItLive, and PlayoutONE) all are able to do this.

Those are paid packs and yeah they can do that. RadioDJ is a "simple" playout system and has no costs whatsoever. There are limitations to what it can do. Maybe @Marius can program that in future updates but i can imagine that he is not doing it. I don't know how many people he has working on RadioDJ but the other systems has a whole team running to program that ;-)

For now i think it's better to go to one of those packs if this is a feature you realy want and need.

Offline DJ Garybaldy

• Retired DJ who uses RadioDJ
    • DJ Garybaldy Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »
I don't know how many people he has working on RadioDJ
As far as I'm aware there is only Marius working on RadioDJ.
Retired DJ & Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Computers: Windows 10 Pro 16GB & 32GB AMD10/Intel i5 processor

https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/

Repair the RadioDJ database: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/09/radiodj-database-maintenance-how-to.html

Offline PROducer

• Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 09:18:30 PM »
...The problem I'm facing is that my content will already be loaded into my playlist. And loading it separately isn't an option here. The ability to move forward in the playlist to a predefined point at a predefined time is essential.
IIRC you're scheduling with Music Master for playout in RDJ, correct?  I'm guessing you're exporting a .m3u playlist from MM for a full day's log?

I'm using a different scheduler which also exports a full day into one playlist, but I use a text file splitter (GSplit) to break up my log into hours.  This enables me to over schedule music each hour, but still change hours at roughly the top of the hour, dropping extra songs.

For hours which still come up short, the last item each hour is a manual event trigger file that picks a least recently played song, puts it in the playlist followed by another manual event trigger file.  (In case the song still doesn't play past the load hour event)

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 07:00:27 AM »
IIRC you're scheduling with Music Master for playout in RDJ, correct?  I'm guessing you're exporting a .m3u playlist from MM for a full day's log?

I'm using a different scheduler which also exports a full day into one playlist, but I use a text file splitter (GSplit) to break up my log into hours.  This enables me to over schedule music each hour, but still change hours at roughly the top of the hour, dropping extra songs.

For hours which still come up short, the last item each hour is a manual event trigger file that picks a least recently played song, puts it in the playlist followed by another manual event trigger file.  (In case the song still doesn't play past the load hour event)

Been a while since I've been on this forum I know. MusicMaster is able to export hourly playlists and syncing to the top of the hour isn't an issue. It's when I'm trying to sync during the hour is where I'm coming from. I have some content in the hour that I try to line up to :15 :45 as close as possible. Clocks timing rules help but an actual sync point would really do the trick.