RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum

Add a song to multiple subcategories

Add a song to multiple subcategories
« on: April 22, 2020, 07:01:44 PM »
Hi.
I'd like to add some songs to two or three subcategories.
Maybe a future version will have this feature :D

Offline He-j

• HEJ say JEH
    • Hej Radio
Re: Add a song to multiple subcategories
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »
This has been a feature in older versions, but is not available anymore and won't be available in new releases.

See this post:
https://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=10775.msg61782#msg61782
Hej Radio ► Netherlands
https://hejradio.jimdofree.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 01:01:11 AM »
I don’t agree that this request has to do with allowing duplicate file names during folder imports.

I believe he is saying allow 1 audio file to be joined to MANY subcategory IDs via a JOIN table (One to Many)

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »
I don’t agree that this request has to do with allowing duplicate file names during folder imports.

I believe he is saying allow 1 audio file to be joined to MANY subcategory IDs via a JOIN table (One to Many)

Yes, i want to have ONE song in TWO subcategories :ok:

Offline He-j

• HEJ say JEH
    • Hej Radio
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 06:18:39 PM »
Yes, i want to have ONE song in TWO subcategories

Could you explain what you want to achieve with one song in two subcategories.
Hej Radio ► Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »
Could you explain what you want to achieve with one song in two subcategories.
I'm not the topic opener, however what I think he's trying to achieve is something I would like also.
Some songs just don't fit in one subcategory. For instance "Islands in the stream" by Kenny and Dolly can be classified as "country" but also as "pop" or "top 40" .
When you've placed it in the subcategory "country" and have a rotation in which you call a song from the "top 40" subcategory, then "Islands in the stream" will never get played, because it isn't in that subcategory.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 03:24:31 PM »
@Casper
You are describing labels / descriptors which are closer to "Genres"
Categories and SubCategories, allow more flexibility, so you could have subcats like "Duets", "Daytime Pop", "80s Popular Hits Duets", "Sunday Midday", "Artist over 50 yrs old" etc.

@He-j  allowing associations to multiple subcats would give you much more flexibility in using rotations to pick songs.
To use this example, "islands in the stream", might be picked up by various rotations which are choosing songs which fit a wider variety of descriptors.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
@Casper
You are describing labels / descriptors which are closer to "Genres"
Categories and SubCategories, allow more flexibility, so you could have subcats like "Duets", "Daytime Pop", "80s Popular Hits Duets", "Sunday Midday", "Artist over 50 yrs old" etc.

@He-j  allowing associations to multiple subcats would give you much more flexibility in using rotations to pick songs.
To use this example, "islands in the stream", might be picked up by various rotations which are choosing songs which fit a wider variety of descriptors.

It maybe closer to "genre" what Casper describes, but in general it all depends on how you arrange your collection. At this time you only have 2 ways of organising it: subcategory and genre, and both are limited to adding it to one of it only.

So some people may arrange there collection with categories like "Play every often" "Play less often" and genre "Country" "Rock" "Pop", and others do it the other way around. Personally I'd get rid of the term "genre" in RadioDJ and make that field multiselect. More like a "tag" or "label" kind of thing. It requires some reprogramming of RadioDJ though, but I think it'd make the use of what is now "genre" much more versatile.

You'd be able to put (what is now) "genre" info in it like "Duet" "Group" "Collaboration" "Country" "Rock" "Pop" "British" "French" and in a selection/rotation you could facilitate making a selection like "Play a random song that is British Rock by a Group". Then, for me, a song wouldn't be necessary to add to multiple subcategories (that'd only clutter things), but you'd be able to make selections more based on what is in the "genre" field as from subcategory. Subcategory would only be a way to manually find songs more easily.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 04:02:28 PM »
well, who knows what Marius is dealing with these days, so we must continue to wait for the professional version...

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 08:34:06 AM »
Sorry because I didn't reply back.
I agree with you, we need something like 'tags' for songs to make rotations easier, to have better control over what songs play on the radio.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 06:01:01 AM »
I'd love this too, though I have a workaround that seems to do the job.

Put the song in a main subcategory, then use Mood and Language options. The aren't ideal but are a means to an end.
I'm not sure which version these were added, but they are there in v2.0.2.0 beta.

For example; I have a song "Slice Of Heaven" by Dave Dobbyn. The song card includes;

Subcategory: 80's
Mood: Happy
Language: Maori

In Tracks Rotation for these shows or features, use filtering to specify the Mood or Language code needed for that position.

1. General rotation, only use Subcategory 80s.
2. Party show, use Subcategory and include Happy for Mood.
3. NZ Music Show, use Subcategory and include Maori for Language

nb, for Language I use "Maori" to represent NZ as a country. You may want to use a language you'll never use, to represent a country you need to if you don't already use subcategories to split these up more easily. For example, French Canadian and English Canadian songs. You can use 'French' for Language on whatever songs you want (from any category) to represent 'Canada'
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:34:58 AM by rphelpsnz »

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 04:48:46 AM »
Yes, this would be great. Perhaps a second (or third) sub-category field. EG, I could have a song with a sub-category "80's", and also a second sub-category called "Classics" which could have this song and others that aren't "80's".

So, I can have a rotation with just 80's songs, and another with Classics. Both would include this song.

Offline He-j

• HEJ say JEH
    • Hej Radio
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »
When the Allow duplicates function was disabled I had to figure out a new way to organize my subcategories.

I came up with the idea to put as much information in the subcategory code.

For example H-1980-1989-OMAN means:

The first letter can be:
H = High > songs which sound great
M = Middle > songs which are more or less ok
L = Low > special occacions like christmas

The second part is the decade

The last part is the part of the day.
O = morning
M = afternoon
A = evening
N = night

Next I created rotations. So when a song is in subcategory which ends with OMAN I can put it in any rotation of the day if I want. When a song ends with MAN then this song will not be in a morning rotation.

And yes, I have also used genre as well, but hardly use it in my rotations. My subcategory code contains genres in a way.

Another example to create a code was answered in this topic:
https://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=13069.0;topicseen

So it's a little bit 'out of the box', but works great for me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:25:11 PM by He-j »
Hej Radio ► Netherlands