RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum

Rotation-User Interface

Rotation-User Interface
« on: August 16, 2020, 02:37:30 AM »
I have 3 things relative to the Rotation builder / editor.

1. Have new items inserted either above or below cursor line(your choice)...as opposed to the end of the stack.

2. Once inserted or modified, the cursor does not return to top of stack. This would make maintenance much easier, faster and less error prone.

3. Add a “Cumlative” time next to each item showing the amount of time accrued as each item is added. The amount of time would be based on the average time from each cat / subcategory. This would aid in placing non event item near certain points on the format clock.
Larry Tallant
Your Own FM
Listen Live - https://zeno.fm/YourOwnFM

Re: Rotation-User Interface
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
I have 3 things relative to the Rotation builder / editor.

1. Have new items inserted either above or below cursor line(your choice)...as opposed to the end of the stack.

2. Once inserted or modified, the cursor does not return to top of stack. This would make maintenance much easier, faster and less error prone.

I can understand why these are practical for some people, however:

3. Add a “Cumlative” time next to each item showing the amount of time accrued as each item is added. The amount of time would be based on the average time from each cat / subcategory. This would aid in placing non event item near certain points on the format clock.

in my opinion is useless. As you say: "based on average time" - I don't know how your collection looks like, but mine has tracks varying from say 1 minute to 70 minutes. The average would in no way be useful to determine where in time your rotation will be. The danger would be that you'd take the time given into account, and end up way off the time that you'd expect.

That's the beauty of "rotation" as it is now: it just keeps on repeating itself until you want it - and that can be done upon time (event). If you want a certain thing to happen near say :45, just make an event that "interferes" with your rotation so that thing will be played around :45. That is much much more reliable as working with averages.

Also, calculating an average for all tracks in a category/genre takes, with normal collections, quite some time.