RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum

Number of tracks from rotation

Number of tracks from rotation
« on: August 21, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »
Is it possible to add some function, where user can define how many tracks from active rotation can be loaded into the queue?
Why am I asking?
I have now plenty of rotations and most of them have 27 or 28 items (song selections and jingles as well). Rotations change every hour. Somehow RDJ still generates queue with amount of items highly above those numbers (currently the queue consists 49 items). This is unwanted action, because I have also an event, which generates teaser at TOH. So the teaser often consists songs, which will never be played, because they are in the second half of the current queue.
The less number of items in rotation won´t work as well, because less than 25 items will not fullfill the hour.
Matej

Re: Number of tracks from rotation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »
At the beginning of the event you put the action: clean playlist, I think you could solve the problem.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 02:18:12 PM »
At the beginning of the event you put the action clean playlist, I think you could solve the problem.

Yeah, that´s what I do..;)

Preparing next hour is the attached file called Prepare.
Starting new hour with a preview is the file called Preview.

What I meant with my question is the amount of loaded tracks from rotation to the clear queue.

Matej

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 02:23:49 PM »
Okay, I didn't get that. That sounds good.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:28 PM »
Is it possible to add some function, where user can define how many tracks from active rotation can be loaded into the queue?
Why am I asking?
I have now plenty of rotations and most of them have 27 or 28 items (song selections and jingles as well). Rotations change every hour. Somehow RDJ still generates queue with amount of items highly above those numbers (currently the queue consists 49 items).

Already present in newer versions. Settings -> Auto DJ -> "Keep In Playlist". 0 = keep 1 rotation in playlist (when you do auto play, it'll fill it with 2 playlists since the first one is incomplete). Other number = keep number of x tracks in the queue.

Maybe not exactly what you mean, but comes pretty close.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 08:04:04 AM »
Already present in newer versions. Settings -> Auto DJ -> "Keep In Playlist". 0 = keep 1 rotation in playlist (when you do auto play, it'll fill it with 2 playlists since the first one is incomplete). Other number = keep number of x tracks in the queue.

Maybe not exactly what you mean, but comes pretty close.

Thank you for reply.
I am not sure, if it is a result I wanted to reach.
I have two subsequent hourly repeated events, launched shortly before the Hour. The first one is about to clear the rest of queue loaded by the old rotation, loads rotation for a next approx. 60 minutes and generates queue from that rotation. The second one creates Teaser to be launched at a specific time, to close the Teaser just at the Hour.
My goal is, that new rotation will load the amount tracks which consists itself. So if rotation has 28 lines (I don´t use manual events or so, just jingles and music), it creates a queue with 28 tracks. This doesn´t work now. "Shorter" rotations (let´s say 25 items) work well (it generates 25 tracks for a new queue at the Hour) but 25 items is not enough to fullfill 60 minutes of play. So I created rotations a little longer (consist 28 items), but RDJ generates queue with 48-50 tracks (that could have covered almost 2 hours of play - but that is unwanted, because I want to generate queue to cover just one hour of play) - if you know what I mean.
Maybe a future feature "smart timing" can solve that, I don´t know.
Matej

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 10:56:09 AM »
Thank you for reply.
I am not sure, if it is a result I wanted to reach.
I have two subsequent hourly repeated events, launched shortly before the Hour. The first one is about to clear the rest of queue loaded by the old rotation, loads rotation for a next approx. 60 minutes and generates queue from that rotation. The second one creates Teaser to be launched at a specific time, to close the Teaser just at the Hour.
My goal is, that new rotation will load the amount tracks which consists itself. So if rotation has 28 lines (I don´t use manual events or so, just jingles and music), it creates a queue with 28 tracks. This doesn´t work now. "Shorter" rotations (let´s say 25 items) work well (it generates 25 tracks for a new queue at the Hour) but 25 items is not enough to fullfill 60 minutes of play. So I created rotations a little longer (consist 28 items), but RDJ generates queue with 48-50 tracks (that could have covered almost 2 hours of play - but that is unwanted, because I want to generate queue to cover just one hour of play) - if you know what I mean.
Maybe a future feature "smart timing" can solve that, I don´t know.

I think you don't grasp the concept of a rotation correctly.

A rotation is a list of possible items (tracks, jingles, etc) that will fill your queue, and when it's running out of tracks, will autofill the queue.

If you don't want RDJ to "add" tracks to the queue because of you using a rotation, you should use a playlist.

If you still want to use a rotation, but don't want more then say 25 items in your queue, use the mentioned setting of having 25 items in your queue - RDJ will always keep the queue filled with 25 items, adding one more whenever you've played an item.

The behaviour you mention is because you have the setting at 0; then RDJ will always want to have at least one full rotation in your queue, but when you start playing the queue, it's not a full rotation anymore and it will add another one. Hence the 48 to 50 tracks with a (say) 25 item rotation.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 09:38:25 AM »
I think you don't grasp the concept of a rotation correctly.

Well, my point of view to rotations is, that I devide music, jingles.. (in fact every sound I´d like to use in a broadcast) into some "boxes".
Than I create rotations, where I specify, which "box" will computer use to select an item from and according to those values it creates a queue which will be played in a sequence.
Rotation dramatically saves time, because it can create a playlist within a second for the whole hour of broadcast, instead of spending dozens of minutes by creating it manually.
Or is that wrong approach?

A rotation is a list of possible items (tracks, jingles, etc) that will fill your queue, and when it's running out of tracks, will autofill the queue.

Yes, but I don´t want to use one rotation for the whole day. According to planned program I would like to change rotation every hour.

If you don't want RDJ to "add" tracks to the queue because of you using a rotation, you should use a playlist.

As stated above, I don´t want to spend tons of hours by creating playlists manually, that´s the reason why I would like to use rotations.

Matej

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »
Well, my point of view to rotations is, that I devide music, jingles.. (in fact every sound I´d like to use in a broadcast) into some "boxes".
Than I create rotations, where I specify, which "box" will computer use to select an item from and according to those values it creates a queue which will be played in a sequence.
Rotation dramatically saves time, because it can create a playlist within a second for the whole hour of broadcast, instead of spending dozens of minutes by creating it manually.
Or is that wrong approach?

Well, it's not wrong, but it's not the whole picture  :angel:

What you are doing is using the rotation as a kind of "template" for your hour. Normally, you'd use a rotation as a template but for a part of the sequence, and then it's repeated over and over again.

So, let's say you want to have a show in which 20 tracks fit, and you want to have a mix of "70s" "80s" and "90s", you could get away with making a rotation of say 7 items which is repeated almost 3 times.

Ofcourse you can make a rotation of say 20 items, e.g. when you have a day rotation, but if you don't want to exceed those 20 items in the queue, you'd have to set (in options) the maximum number of tracks added to the playlist as 20 (or less). Otherwise (with the setting at 0), RDJ would always want to keep AT LEAST a full rotation in the queue. I.e. with 20 tracks in a rotation, you'd end up having 39 tracks in the queue when the first track of the rotation starts playing - and this seems what is happening in your example.

With a 20 track rotation, you can even put the setting at 5 or so - RDJ knows where the next track is in your rotation and will fill the queue with it if a track is played. So say you have 20 tracks in a rotation, setting at 5, when the first track is played, to the queue a track is added that matches rule #6 from your rotation, and with the next track playing rule #7 etc. When it reaches rule #20, the next track to be added will be from rule #1.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 12:02:47 PM »
Well, it's not wrong, but it's not the whole picture  :angel:

What you are doing is using the rotation as a kind of "template" for your hour. Normally, you'd use a rotation as a template but for a part of the sequence, and then it's repeated over and over again.

So, let's say you want to have a show in which 20 tracks fit, and you want to have a mix of "70s" "80s" and "90s", you could get away with making a rotation of say 7 items which is repeated almost 3 times.

Ofcourse you can make a rotation of say 20 items, e.g. when you have a day rotation, but if you don't want to exceed those 20 items in the queue, you'd have to set (in options) the maximum number of tracks added to the playlist as 20 (or less). Otherwise (with the setting at 0), RDJ would always want to keep AT LEAST a full rotation in the queue. I.e. with 20 tracks in a rotation, you'd end up having 39 tracks in the queue when the first track of the rotation starts playing - and this seems what is happening in your example.

With a 20 track rotation, you can even put the setting at 5 or so - RDJ knows where the next track is in your rotation and will fill the queue with it if a track is played. So say you have 20 tracks in a rotation, setting at 5, when the first track is played, to the queue a track is added that matches rule #6 from your rotation, and with the next track playing rule #7 etc. When it reaches rule #20, the next track to be added will be from rule #1.

I think we still speak about a little different things.  :angel:
Rotation works how you describe only if AUTO DJ function is on. If you have a look on the screenshots I´ve sent in my second post in a current topic, you´d see, that PREPARE event consist of loading new rotation, than enabling AUTO DJ (to generate queue - I expect only one cycle of runing through the rotation), than DISABLING AUTO DJ.
I use AUTO DJ function only once an hour, just to generate a queue from a rotation.
In a shortcut, I switch (by an event) auto DJ on, than creating queue and after that immediately auto dj off. Any other actions (including playing the first sound from the freshly created queue) are done only with auto dj off.

So back to topic. I just don´t understand, why RDJ makes one cycle of generation if rotation has 25 items, but does something between one and two cycles of generation, when rotation has 28 or more items eventhough the first item from the queue hasen´t been played yet.
Matej

Offline PROducer

• Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 04:55:49 AM »

What I meant with my question is the amount of loaded tracks from rotation to the clear queue.
I get what you're trying to do.  You're using rotations like hour clocks. I have done this, but since have moved to a music scheduling program, and have since changed the way I do my music playlists/events.

Looking at the .jpg files you supplied, I'd say you need to combine your two events into one.  I can't remember how I used to trigger teasers before, but I want to say I was doing it in the rotation, as I had a teaser play at the top of hour & :30 minute point (ish). I think I made a manual event that created a teaser, then made a rotation entry that executed that manual event at :00 min & :30 min of the hour clock.  If that method doesn't work, that's where you should move the generate teaser action to the other event.  The hourly event that changes your rotation (or clock) should Stop Auto DJ, clear the playlist, generate the teaser (if not possible to put that into the rotation), enable auto DJ, wait a second or so for playlist to be created, then disable auto-dj.

I currently have hourly events which clear the playlist, load the hour's music by date mask, changes the rotation to match the clock of the current hour in the scheduler, enable auto-dj and wait a second, then disable it.  (This auto-generates a list of music, but only if there was a problem loading the externally generated one, so if I forget to generate a music log, or something happens, and the log doesn't load, a list of songs still populates my queue).

Hope this helps...

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »
I get what you're trying to do.  You're using rotations like hour clocks. I have done this, but since have moved to a music scheduling program, and have since changed the way I do my music playlists/events.

Looking at the .jpg files you supplied, I'd say you need to combine your two events into one.  I can't remember how I used to trigger teasers before, but I want to say I was doing it in the rotation, as I had a teaser play at the top of hour & :30 minute point (ish). I think I made a manual event that created a teaser, then made a rotation entry that executed that manual event at :00 min & :30 min of the hour clock.  If that method doesn't work, that's where you should move the generate teaser action to the other event.  The hourly event that changes your rotation (or clock) should Stop Auto DJ, clear the playlist, generate the teaser (if not possible to put that into the rotation), enable auto DJ, wait a second or so for playlist to be created, then disable auto-dj.

I currently have hourly events which clear the playlist, load the hour's music by date mask, changes the rotation to match the clock of the current hour in the scheduler, enable auto-dj and wait a second, then disable it.  (This auto-generates a list of music, but only if there was a problem loading the externally generated one, so if I forget to generate a music log, or something happens, and the log doesn't load, a list of songs still populates my queue).

Hope this helps...

Hi, thank you for your reply.
To be honest, I am little bit lost.. :angel:
In fact, teaser works almost fine for me. The only thing which doesn´t work according to my expectations is the amount of loaded tracks after clearing queue and setting up new rotation.
As you correctly noticed, I use rotations as a substitute of hour clocks. It´s because I don´t have any scheduling program.
I was wondering, why RDJ generates queue of 25 tracks (incl. jingles) if the rotation has 25 lines, but on the other side it generates queue of 48 tracks, when the rotation has 27 lines.
I would than expect to load 54 tracks, so to make two finished cycles of "reading" through the rotation.
Nevertheless, back to the topic. So, loading 48 tracks into the queue causes that teaser often plays previews of tracks, which will never be played, because they are placed so far away from the begining of the hour and meanwhile new rotation will be loaded before they can be played (if you know, what I mean).
So maybe some box where I can set the number of cycles of reading rotation or some similar function can be useful, when using a little longer rotations (for e.g. because you expect to load a tons of short songs, so you almost definately know, that 25 lines will not fill your hour).
Matej

Offline PROducer

• Long Time Radio Guy
    • The Rooster
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »
I was wondering, why RDJ generates queue of 25 tracks (incl. jingles) if the rotation has 25 lines, but on the other side it generates queue of 48 tracks, when the rotation has 27 lines.
I would than expect to load 54 tracks, so to make two finished cycles of "reading" through the rotation.
Nevertheless, back to the topic. So, loading 48 tracks into the queue causes that teaser often plays previews of tracks, which will never be played, because they are placed so far away from the begining of the hour and meanwhile new rotation will be loaded before they can be played (if you know, what I mean).
So maybe some box where I can set the number of cycles of reading rotation or some similar function can be useful, when using a little longer rotations (for e.g. because you expect to load a tons of short songs, so you almost definately know, that 25 lines will not fill your hour).
Well, the second cycle of the rotation should not be generated until the queue has played enough items that the number of items to be played is LESS than the number of items in the rotation, but only when auto-dj is enabled.

When I was using rotations, my Top of Hour event would be triggered at the :59 minute point. It would change the rotation to the next hour's rotation, clear the playlist, turn on auto-dj for about 1-2 seconds, then turn it off. It would only generate one cycle of the rotation. Once the item currently playing came to the "Next" cue, it would start playing the next hour.

I understand the problem you're having with all the extra items in the queue wreaking havoc with your teasers, but I can't tell what could be causing the rotations to double-generate.  Is it happening with one specific rotation or all of them?  If it's one, I would suspect the rotation.  It  it all, I would suspect it could be something you're doing in either the event actions or the rotation causing it.  It's hard to tell what's going on when you're reading posts on a forum.

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 03:28:14 AM »

I understand what you mean by the number of tracks in the field... sometimes RDJ will put the same tracks at the same place and if it is in your hypothetic hour, they never be playing. What you may do is putting the ''random'' rules in your rotations. RDJ will pick tracks randomly so you may have something different every time you are back at this rotations.
www.djradio.ca & www.sportradio.ca

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 08:38:53 AM »
Sorry for long pause in communication but I was on holiday without any internet connection.
Back to topic:
Well, the second cycle of the rotation should not be generated until the queue has played enough items that the number of items to be played is LESS than the number of items in the rotation, but only when auto-dj is enabled.

Yes, I think I understand, how it SHOULD have worked. What I don´t understand is why it isn´t working like that. :angel:

When I was using rotations, my Top of Hour event would be triggered at the :59 minute point. It would change the rotation to the next hour's rotation, clear the playlist, turn on auto-dj for about 1-2 seconds, then turn it off. It would only generate one cycle of the rotation. Once the item currently playing came to the "Next" cue, it would start playing the next hour.

If you have a look to my second´s post attachments in that topic, you would see, I prepare the hour almost the same way.

I understand the problem you're Is it happening with one specific rotation or all of them?

All of those, which have more than 25 items (in my case almost 80% or so)

It  it all, I would suspect it could be something you're doing in either the event actions or the rotation causing it.  It's hard to tell what's going on when you're reading posts on a forum.

Chmm, but what I do wrong?
There is unfortunately no way how you can for example test it somehow on your side.  :-[
Matej