Author Topic: Broadcasting Music, Podcasts and Licensing  (Read 297 times)

DreamWeaver

• New User

Broadcasting Music, Podcasts and Licensing
« on: May 13, 2021, 03:26:52 AM »
For the past year I've had a radio station running music 24/7. We get about 400 hits per day and have been listened to in 75 countries. We got ourselves a license through ASCAP to allow us to broadcast legally, but it really does not cover podcasting. Has anyone run into how best to have podcasts with musical content in it and remain legal?

If you anyone has experience with licensing to broadcast and run podcasts I'd love to hear how you manage it.

charlieobrien

• Big 8 Radio - Classic Hits From The Motor City
Re: Broadcasting Music, Podcasts and Licensing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 08:06:12 PM »
You can do a modified podcast that includes music now in anchor.fm. They combine with Spotify Premium.
You add you vocal track audio and then select songs from Spotify in their picker. If the end user has Spotify Premium (the one that costs $$ monthly) they will hear a full show with full song audio. Users who have Spotify free version will get 30 seconds of a song. Kind of cheesy.
I do a countdown podcast of my weekly streaming countdown. I rebuild it in Anchor. It's free to use.
Also I find that Mixcloud lets you play podcasts with music - BUT - it's $15US monthly fee and they take care of all song royalties. If you find it's worth it - try it out.
www.big8radio.com
https://live365.com/station/a87486