• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Documentation for the current version: please read, use, and help out

Started by WVBR_Radio, January 10, 2012, 05:49:12 AM

WVBR_Radio

EDIT: I've updated the guide- new version is posted in comment #10.

Hi everyone! I work for WVBR 93.5 FM, a radio station in Ithaca, NY. We're going to be using RadioDJ to run a new solely online stream that's debuting in a couple weeks. In order to help in training our DJs to use a new system, as well as to have a reference in case something goes wrong, I've compiled a guide of RadioDJ's features. We at WVBR want to make this guide public for two reasons. Firstly, as a thank you to RadioDJ's creators for making such an amazing program available for free, and as a thank you to the community for being so helpful and responsive. Secondly, because there are members of the community who know more about RadioDJ than I do, and who will hopefully be able to help add anything I may have missed or correct anything I may have gotten wrong.

I know that RadioDJ is still under development, and that a new version may be coming out in the near future. Obviously some parts of this guide will have to be revised when that occurs. Due to time constraints with training, we decided to go ahead and write a guide for the current version anyways, which we will be using for at least the next few months regardless of new releases.

I've attached a .rar file with two documents. The first is a PDF of the current draft of the guide. The second is the LaTeX source code for the guide. Anyone who wants to make any additions or corrections can do so in one of two ways. If you're familiar with LaTeX, feel free to edit the code directly and repost. If not, you can send me your comments either by posting them or messaging me, and I can add them in. I will of course credit anyone who contributes. Check back here often, because the guide is still under development. One thing that will be added soon is embedded screenshots with labelled buttons, which should clarify some of the arbitrary button names in the guide.

Here's what i know I need help with (generally marked with ??? in the guide):
- The "Enable/Disable Soundcard" action for Events
- The "Optimize Database" feature
- The "Show Info Window" checkbox in the Stream Titles tab of the Configuration window
- The Audio Processing menu
- The button to the left of the Stop button in the Carts tab of the main interface
I'm also not entirely confident in my section on sweepers, as I can't tell for sure whether what I experienced was a bug in the program or a problem with my system.

Please contact me with any questions or comments.

Thanks guys!
MANUAL FOR V1.6.0

Marius

WOW! Thank you very much for your effort!
It looks just great at a first sight!
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

garybaldy72uk

Nice Work WVBR Much Appreciated!

Nice to see someone with a passion for RadioDJ

Vanlen

Your efforts are greatly appreciated.  Very well laid out manual :ok:
Forest Green - Music in Nature's Frequency
www.forestgreenradio.ca

jrj12591

Thank You For your work.  I've had a project like this on my to do list for a while.  You just saved me a lot of time.

Jason Johnston
Training/Production Director
WWSU 106.9 FM

beppesk

Good JOB !!!!
I'm offer to make the italian version of this document.
I'll try to begin this work next weekend.
Ciao

Marius

Quote from: WVBR_Radio on January 10, 2012, 05:49:12 AM
Here's what i know I need help with (generally marked with ??? in the guide):
- The "Enable/Disable Soundcard" action for Events
- The "Optimize Database" feature
- The "Show Info Window" checkbox in the Stream Titles tab of the Configuration window
- The Audio Processing menu
- The button to the left of the Stop button in the Carts tab of the main interface

1. Enable/Disable Soundcard Input: The mic button can be also used as line in if the user selects it, and this action allows you to automate the input. For example when you want to broadcast something from a audio source like satellite receiver.
2. If you delete and import a lot, your database may become fragmented and this option will fix it.
3. When RadioDJ is minimized and the track will change, you can opt to have a little window that will inform you what track is playing.
4. In audio processing you have some basic sound enhancers like equalizer, AGC (automatic gain control) and a sound compressor. The last two are used to overcome the different volume of the sound files and to maximize the sound level without distortions.
5. That button will stop all the playing carts with one click.

Thanks again, we all appreciate your effort.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

Artster

Great manual!!!! You've answered several questions I have been pondering. What a great compliment to an already incredible program by Marius. Thank you.

ericksn1

i hv downloaded this software and wanted to use it.but it is asking for mySQL password and i hvnt got a clue what it is.can u tell me what it is and where to get it pls.

garybaldy72uk

When you install SQL write down the password you enter for the Root user. Then enter that when setting up the Database

WVBR_Radio

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I've attached a new version of the documentation which is, to the best of my knowledge, complete. I've added in the pieces that were missing from the original, as well as some screenshots with labelled buttons. If anyone contacts me with corrections or additions I will add them in, otherwise this guide is now finished.

[attachment deleted by admin]

projektor

meridianradio

Hi all,

interested to read the comments about the enable/disable soundcard feature.  We've found that really useful as we automate an hourly news bulletin which comes in as a 'line in' from our satellite box (in the UK, Sky News produce a 2 minute news  bulletin that starts on the hour).  So we've set an event to run our news jingle up to the hour and then an event to enable the soundcard for 2 minutes and another event to disable the soundcard and restart the playlist.  Works a treat!

SGNorth

I just downloaded RadioDJ and have discovered how little I know about this technology. :'( Thank you for your hard work on this. It's a big help. Why did I download this software? I do a half hour show on our local radio station and thought I'd like to learn more about the technical side of things.  :bash: