• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Maria DB

Started by DJ Garybaldy, June 26, 2014, 10:12:27 AM

DJ Garybaldy

After a few weeks of constant testing I've come to the conclusion that Maria DB and RadioDJ work rather well together not so much as hiccup! Everything is running flawlessly....

There is no way i'm going back to Oracle MySQL now ..... It's nice when things work! it's Less stressful!  :hihi:
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

starlite

It's nice when things work! it's Less stressful!  :hihi:

Wow isn't that the truth !!

I too have found MariaDB to be rocking along beautifully...

joshuatree44

AMEN! Been running it here and no issues. Much less of a power hog. seems to respond much faster even if I am using the beta.

Quote from: starlite on July 13, 2014, 03:31:41 PM
It's nice when things work! it's Less stressful!  :hihi:

Wow isn't that the truth !!

I too have found MariaDB to be rocking along beautifully...

SnowHow

Well, I haven't found anything wrong with it either. I like how it dynamically changes the concurrent connections based on demand.

I think I'll take the plunge and try it on the main server today....

J-

HMC

Quote from: SnowHow on July 13, 2014, 05:09:19 PM
Well, I haven't found anything wrong with it either. I like how it dynamically changes the concurrent connections based on demand.

I think I'll take the plunge and try it on the main server today....

J-

Good luck. I don't foresee any issues with it. I've been running as my main DB since I first installed RDJ. I agree with DJ Gary, I won't be using Oracle MySQL again for anything. It hardy uses any resources and ram although I have plenty, its just nice to know it works well.
Radio DJ 1.7.5 Update with MariaDB 10

joshuatree44

yep my streaming machine runs way better on a 3.2 Pent D (2 CPUS) 4 GB of RAM machine. It is barely above 50% at a peak.

Quote from: HMC on July 14, 2014, 01:32:23 AM
Good luck. I don't foresee any issues with it. I've been running as my main DB since I first installed RDJ. I agree with DJ Gary, I won't be using Oracle MySQL again for anything. It hardy uses any resources and ram although I have plenty, its just nice to know it works well.

SnowHow

Quote from: joshuatree44 on July 14, 2014, 03:49:28 AM
yep my streaming machine runs way better on a 3.2 Pent D (2 CPUS) 4 GB of RAM machine. It is barely above 50% at a peak.

Running at 19% down from ~30%.

Dell Optiplex 745
Core 2 Duo 2 CPU 6400@ 2.13 GHz ea.
Server 2008 SP1 64-bit
4 Gig RAM

Noticeable improvement in speed and overall performance.  :ok:

J-

Marius

One thing that never worked for me on Windows 7 was the service auto start on Oracle's MySQL. It's true that it didn't count too much and i never tried to fix it, but never had this problem on MariaDB.
It's a minor thing, but i also saw this thing happening when i helped users remotely and is a huge drawback because many users aren't familiar with MySQL or services.
All they know is they installed MySQL but still the program cannot connect to the database...  :bash:
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: Marius on July 14, 2014, 11:56:31 AM
One thing that never worked for me on Windows 7 was the service auto start on Oracle's MySQL. It's true that it didn't count too much and i never tried to fix it, but never had this problem on MariaDB.
It's a minor thing, but i also saw this thing happening when i helped users remotely and is a huge drawback because many users aren't familiar with MySQL or services.
All they know is they installed MySQL but still the program cannot connect to the database...  :bash:

I had exactly the same issue years ago with MySQL 3.2 on XP could never get the service to auto start. Only had one other version of Oracle MySQL do that to me and that was 4.0.24 all the 5.x.xx series of MySQL installed as a service with no issues. Although sometimes removing MySQL as a service could be rather painful.

I think Maria DB is pretty fool proof and should be the one recommended for new users.

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

SnowHow

Quote from: DJ Garybaldy on July 14, 2014, 12:13:27 PM

I think Maria DB is pretty fool proof and should be the one recommended for new users.

I am inclined to agree, but I think it prudent to point out that AndyDeGroo found this bug with PHP scripts. MariaDB is slightly different than MySQL and there could be other differences we haven't found yet. I advise caution before going full sail...

J-

DJ Garybaldy

All the web scripts I'm using are working fine with my install of Maria DB.

I switched from the wordpress plugin to the demo script last week and Now playing and requests are working just fine.

I haven't seen any evidence of anything wrong on our servers.

SnowHow

Quote from: DJ Garybaldy on July 14, 2014, 04:41:13 PM
All the web scripts I'm using are working fine with my install of Maria DB.

I switched from the wordpress plugin to the demo script last week and Now playing and requests are working just fine.

I haven't seen any evidence of anything wrong on our servers.

Yeah, your right. I'm just being paranoid, I suppose. It's a failing...  :hihi:

Oh what the heck, let's just go for it!  :ok:

J-

HMC

Quote from: SnowHow on July 14, 2014, 05:14:09 PM
Yeah, your right. I'm just being paranoid, I suppose. It's a failing...  :hihi:

Oh what the heck, let's just go for it!  :ok:

J-

I also connect to mariaDB from a different web server that is Linux based running php 5.4 and haven't had any issues. I think that is a remote issue that apparently most people do not have as there aren't many comments on that issue. Also it was made 3 years ago. mariaDB is on now version 10.
Radio DJ 1.7.5 Update with MariaDB 10

AndyDeGroo

Quote from: SnowHow on July 14, 2014, 04:36:35 PM
I am inclined to agree, but I think it prudent to point out that AndyDeGroo found this bug with PHP scripts. MariaDB is slightly different than MySQL and there could be other differences we haven't found yet. I advise caution before going full sail...

That error would appear only if PHP used mysql client library from MariaDB. That is usually not the case on Windows systems as PHP comes with it's own mysql client .dll file and doesn't use global libraries (as opposed to nix systems). As suggested by the answer, you can still "Use your original MySQL client library with the MariaDB".

I'm following this thread but still haven't tried MariaDB. I'd have to migrate a big chunk of data on my development machine. I have few databases over 1GB in size and holding 5M+ records.

FL Coast

I have been using Maria DB on my test machine for about 3 weeks now.  Everything has been clicking along very well.  It does seem to change tracks and make transitions faster and smother.  I have been keeping the test machine sync'd with the production machine.  I will copy the Database Backup from the production machine to the test unit and import it into the Maria DB.  This has been going well in keeping newly imported jingles, commercials and songs playable on the test unit.  I was just before biting the bullet and making Maria DB part of the production unit.

As I was about to make it so... then decided I would export the Maria Database and the try to reimport it.  The import got about ¾ of the way and stopped.   I canceled the operation and started all over again with the same results.  So I exported the current database again and tried to reimport it.  Once again, the same results.  I exported a new backup of the production machines database (MySQL), moved it to the test unit, and imported it without any issues.  Everything operated properly.  I then exported the test units database again and tried to import it back (where it came from) into the Maria DB with it importing to about the ¾ mark and stopping.   :angry:

Has anyone else tried to import a backup database that was generated by Maria?  I am running RadioDJ 1.7.0 (and yes both databases have been updated) on both machines.  Production machine is Windows 7 – 64, the test unit is Windows 7 – 32.  Am I the only one having this issue?   :bash:
:)    Play the Music and Have Fun!    :ok:
==================================
Fun In The Sun,  From the Florida Coast
"It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts."
John Wooden 1910 - 2010