Author Topic: Artist separation (repeat rules) - Bug?  (Read 27697 times)

AndyDeGroo

Re: Artist separation (repeat rules) - Bug?
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »
If i would do this and the user switches on the autodj and then for a reason or another clears the playlist for that amount of time those tracks will not be played again.
Right. I didn't thing about that scenario.

We need something better...  :)
I can't think of any other solution with current database structure.

Next best thing for featured artists separation would be creating artists table and pivot table to link artists to songs. That would add at least two more tables to song selection statement and take more work to maintain data integrity. The statement gets so complicate I can't wrap my mind around it without writing it down.
One thing is for sure - adding new tracks would not be as easy as it is now.

Easiest fix for now is to move all featured artist names to song titles. Unfortunately that is not perfect because featured artist would still be selected within no-repeat rule interval.

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »
Hmm, i just got another idea. The rotation is generated pretty fast so, how about comparing tracks that have the tartist in a smaller time frame, like 5 minutes? In that way we can include this in the where clause. What do you think?
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

Jhonny

• Personal Text
    Peace, enjoy life, last sleep is longer than live!
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
I find this discussion really very good.
But with my simple brain.

If I have two artists who are not the same
Ben
and
Mark
they are two different singers
So two songs
but together they are also one song with a different sound

Why then these separate?

There are just three songs.

Or I do not understand what the goal is.

I think the DJ just have to make a sub for two artists sing one song.

And in a rotation he has the choice, or is that too simple.

Grtz...
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Einstein says: Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler! (wise) this is just my life lesson you know.

I don't do drugs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

AndyDeGroo

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »
Hmm, i just got another idea. The rotation is generated pretty fast so, how about comparing tracks that have the tartist in a smaller time frame, like 5 minutes? In that way we can include this in the where clause. What do you think?
It sounds good in theory. There might be problems if there are too many entries in rotation list. Although I doubt that anyone has such a long rotation list.

Why then these separate?

There are just three songs.

Or I do not understand what the goal is.

I think the DJ just have to make a sub for two artists sing one song.

And in a rotation he has the choice, or is that too simple.

One could separate two-performer songs in subcategory if there are just few such songs in library. Take for instance some tracks by Drake:
Quote from: Tracks-by-Drake
Drake feat. 2 Chainz & Big Sean - All Me
Drake feat. Detail - 305 To My City
Drake feat. J. Cole - Jodeci Freestyle
Drake feat. James Fauntelroy - Girls Love Beyoncé
Drake feat. Majid Jordan - Hold On, We're Going Home
Drake feat. Sampha - Too Much
Any of those tracks are considered as performed by different artist in RadioDJ but they all are by Drake. You wouldn't want them to be played one after another. I hope this explains the issue.

Jhonny

• Personal Text
    Peace, enjoy life, last sleep is longer than live!
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
Thanks Andy,

So if I understand correctly sings Dreak with others artists
Or a song by another artist?

But Dreak sings several songs.

I've never seen faet in my songs.

grtz.

R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Einstein says: Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler! (wise) this is just my life lesson you know.

I don't do drugs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
Ok, i made a test version with a time frame of 10 minutes. http://radiodj.ro/tests/RadioDJTest3.zip
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

AndyDeGroo

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
I'm testing. Selections seems to be ok. It seems to work so far.
Maybe this behaviour could be enabled by an option. Adding a warning about side effects.

Update: I wrote too soon. Artists are repeating again.

HMC

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 08:01:08 AM »
Ok, i made a test version with a time frame of 10 minutes. http://radiodj.ro/tests/RadioDJTest3.zip

I know you said you were releasing a new version soon. Will it have the artist separation in it that you tested at least? If you can't fix the playlist thing right now that's ok.
Radio DJ 1.7.5 Update with MariaDB 10

bulik4lg

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »
Easiest fix for now is to move all featured artist names to song titles. Unfortunately that is not perfect because featured artist would still be selected within no-repeat rule interval.

May be this can help..
I saw it yesturday while I was testing Station Playlist Creator. There is a table, where user fills "Primary artist" and can add as many "Secondary artists" as he/she wants.. The same logic is for tracks. The system always checks those settings before generating music. The only weird thing is, that the content of this table doesn´t work vice versa. So it means, each of secondary tracks needs to be added as a primary one as well, with the previous primary as secondary (for e.g.
Primary : Abba
Secondary : Agnetha Faltskog
than
Primary : Agnetha Faltskog
Secondary : Abba etc. - if you don´t do this, system checks separation rules only for the secondary following the primary artist, not the way round)
May be it´s too much complicated to implement this..
I really don´t know, how it works.. if it works with a database or if it is some kind of plugin or whatever. I just wrote, what I saw and tested yesturday with a trial version of SPC.
Matej

Marvin

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
I'm seeing some same artist, same song repeat occasionally in much less than the artist separation I have set. I have many songs so it isn't a lack of song problem. Is this different from what is happening in this thread? Any known solution? (Using Version 1.7.0)

Marvin

AndyDeGroo

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »
I'm seeing some same artist, same song repeat occasionally in much less than the artist separation I have set. I have many songs so it isn't a lack of song problem. Is this different from what is happening in this thread? Any known solution? (Using Version 1.7.0)
Maybe it is different. Hard to tell without example track listing. Could it be that you have artist names with subtle differences? For instance: "the Beatles", "The Beatles" and "Beatles" are seen as three different artists by RDJ.

Marvin

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2014, 01:13:49 AM »
No, I wish it were that simple. That is the first thing I checked. It was definitely the same file. I've caught it twice this week (not the same track both times, but separate instances where the a same file repeated twice. The first track repeated within 15 minutes. The one today was within about 80 minutes. Track separation is set for 120 minutes and I have lots of tracks loaded.)

I don't know how many times it happens that I'm missing. Haven't researched it that carefully.

HMC

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2014, 01:17:26 AM »
Something like that is why I stated the thread, because the separation was completely working.  Any song that I had with a feature artist would be counted as a separate artist so I would get some artists back to back.
I think he tried to update that in 1.7.1 but I have not tried the new version yet.  Maybe give that a try.
Radio DJ 1.7.5 Update with MariaDB 10

Marvin

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2014, 03:53:34 AM »
I'll check out V1.7.1. This problem is not same group but one with featured artist, but is the same file repeating. Otherwise the latest is a great program here, been running 24/7 since shortly after it came out.

Marvin

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »
I think I've narrowed it down in my case to one of my rotations with less songs (still enough to maintain artist separation though) that had quite a few new song entries. I had the rotation set to play based on least number of times played. These newer songs show vastly less number of times aired than the older songs in the rotation. I've changed the rotation to pull songs based on random rather than least number of times aired. So far I find no repeats. Perhaps the number of times played was taking precedence over artist separation? I'll report back after a full day's history is available.