• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Can I incorporate Sirius radio within Radio DJ?

Started by blista, July 10, 2014, 11:19:31 PM

blista

I searched the forums and tutorials but didn't see anything relating to this. Here's what I'd like to do:

I'm going to be using Sirius radio in my venue, but I want to use Radio DJ to play my own commercials and do automated announcements. What I'm thinking is using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023BYDHK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1# this guy as an input for Sirius radio, then using the outputs to go to my amplifier.

In Radio DJ > Options > Settings, I can manage inputs & outputs. I haven't tried it yet (the USB audio interface is being shipped to me), but I'm thinking there's some way I can have Radio DJ register the input method as Sirius, and be able to still play commercials and announcements over it.

I've looked over the plugins section as well but didn't find anything relevant. Has anyone done something like this already, or think its possible even? Please ask me any questions if I'm not being clear, and thank you for any help.

joshuatree44

to me that is a big no no. That is copyrighted stuff on their end and you are rebroadcasting it with out a user agreement. I would suggest you look into something else or they will close your account and the like.  ???

blista

I would be using a business account for Sirius, so it would be licensed to be rebroadcast.

My issue is still, is it possible?

joshuatree44

I think I would just not do it period. I would create my own content and the like. Most of what I would get from them I would get from them and not use a 3rd party like you. I think your better off to just use your own content and let XM/Sirius be themselves. Not sure why not just pay for the use of the music you want so you can have it all be happy with a rotation or the like.

SnowHow

Quote from: blista on July 11, 2014, 03:28:02 PM
I would be using a business account for Sirius, so it would be licensed to be rebroadcast.

My issue is still, is it possible?

The item description in the link you posted answers your question.

It's like any other audio device --- you would use a mixer.

J-

(Later)

Took a second look at the sound card config and if you have two sound cards, you could use your second sound card as the input source (line in) and do it that way.

Oh, I see now. If the USB interface registers as some kind of sound card, then it looks like it could be used in the input settings. It could work. Let us know when you receive it.

J-

blista

Quote from: joshuatree44 on July 12, 2014, 12:28:51 AM
I think I would just not do it period. I would create my own content and the like. Most of what I would get from them I would get from them and not use a 3rd party like you. I think your better off to just use your own content and let XM/Sirius be themselves. Not sure why not just pay for the use of the music you want so you can have it all be happy with a rotation or the like.

That is about as unhelpful as you could possibly be. Although I appreciate your opinion, I was not asking for it. The way you would prefer to do things and the way I'd like to do things are obviously different, yet that difference is not in question. The feasibility of my method is in question, which you have done nothing to address.

Quote from: SnowHowOh, I see now. If the USB interface registers as some kind of sound card, then it looks like it could be used in the input settings. It could work. Let us know when you receive it.

J-

I played with it a little yesterday. Going to set up some speakers today and see if I can make it sing. I'll report back in case anyone else has a similar need

HMC

Quote from: joshuatree44 on July 12, 2014, 12:28:51 AM

Blista is right. That's why it's called "Sirius for Business". It's a paid service so that establishments can play music and not have to worry about paying performance or royalty fees.  It's not a matter of if it's legal, he's just trying to get it work with RDJ. Also some people don't have the time to manage music. They just want to play the type/genre of music they want and be done. That's what the service is for.

Look at the forth block under "Why SiriusXM?"
http://www.siriusxm.com/siriusxmforbusiness
Radio DJ 1.7.5 Update with MariaDB 10

joshuatree44

looking the site over it just seems like muzack or what ever it was called. I mean I could use Time Waster Cable music channels and the like overlaid with spots and the like. I would think that if you were doing something as suggested here XMSirius would provide you software now. I think there is a fine line here that this is just a music service from what I am able to read and glean. I would think overlaying it is up to you but I think it is a violation of the TOS.

FL Coast

To answer your question, Yes this will work the way that you want it to.  Although it would be smoother with a mixer.  It will show up under, Sound Cards – Audio Input settings – Input Soundcard.  Plug you Sirius Radio output into the Input on the Behringer UCA222 U-Control and the USB cable from that to your computer.  This will get it into RadioDJ, just toggle the Input button when you want Sirius Radio to play.  You could automate that part, but I will let you experiment with that.

Now the other part.  Is this Legal?  I doubt it if you are rebroadcasting online or over the air.  If you read the licensing agreement, you can broadcast the transmission in a bar, restaurant, hotel, or any area that people gather for their entertainment.  But to rebroadcast in a manner that it could be received by anyone that wants to tune in is out of the bounds of the Business Agreement.   

I would not do it, but that is me and my opinion and I know you didn't ask for it.  The setup will work.  Good Luck.

This is under Sirius Radios FAQ

I want SiriusXM Music for Business in more than one location. Do I need separate accounts for each?

Separate locations or multiple radios in one location will require separate subscriptions. However, you are able to put all of your subscriptions on one account. With our satellite service, multiple radios at one physical location may qualify for a multi-subscription discount.

:)    Play the Music and Have Fun!    :ok:
==================================
Fun In The Sun,  From the Florida Coast
"It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts."
John Wooden 1910 - 2010

SnowHow

The OP's question was how to make it work. That question has (I think) been answered. We are here to offer software support, not be attorneys. That's not to say if we see something that might get a fellow broadcaster in trouble we should not to point it out, but it's not our place to lecture the point either.

I hope that clears up that issue.

Getting back on topic:

Quote from: FL Coast on July 14, 2014, 11:00:29 PM
To answer your question, Yes this will work the way that you want it to.  Although it would be smoother with a mixer.  It will show up under, Sound Cards – Audio Input settings – Input Soundcard.  Plug you Sirius Radio output into the Input on the Behringer UCA222 U-Control and the USB cable from that to your computer.  This will get it into RadioDJ, just toggle the Input button when you want Sirius Radio to play.  You could automate that part, but I will let you experiment with that.

This is what I was thinking also, I just wanted to see if the USB registers as a sound card. If it does, then what FL Coast said is on target.

J-

RadioFreeUSA

Seems like he needs a 'opto' triggered by a 'relay'.

That's how the real stations do it anyway...

SnowHow

Quote from: RadioFreeUSA on July 15, 2014, 04:02:09 AM
Seems like he needs a 'opto' triggered by a 'relay'.

That's how the real stations do it anyway...

Upon re-reading the OP's first post, he really hasn't said what he's doing with the service. It could be for a phone system or restaurant for all we know...

Either way, it's none of our business.

blista

Thank you for all the help gentlemen. I still haven't been able to set up speakers & an amp to test this as I've been busy with work.

However to clear a few things up, I am not intending to rebroadcast anything. I am using Sirius Business to give people on my property something to listen to, I'm in the entertainment industry. People are happy and sales go up when there is music playing.

My intention for using RadioDJ is incredibly simple, I just want to be able to play my own announcements and specials (we're closing in 10 minutes! ___ is on sale this week, make sure you try one today!, ____ show is starting in 10 minutes on the main stage!) over the audio so I don't have to do it manually every single day. Everything is broadcast over my audio system on my property.

In any case, I will certainly report back once I have the time to test this out. I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to do it by this weekend. Thank you again for the helpful advice that's been offered so far, it is really appreciated!