Author Topic: Default fade-out 18.990 seconds  (Read 1677 times)

TQ

• Personal Text
    Perseverance is everything!
    • Emen Valley Radio
Default fade-out 18.990 seconds
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »
Hi

Is there a setting for the default fade-out (next start) that I've yet to find. Since 1.7.x, every newly imported album has this setting when I check it in the CUE Editor. Yet, if I click 'Apply Default Settings' the 'Next Start' shifts to something sensible.

Thanks for your help

Nick
A problem is only a problem if you can't find the solution.

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ
Re: Default fade-out 18.990 seconds
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 05:39:10 PM »
Normally the fade is set from the cue next to the cue end, so its length differs from track to track if the Remove silence is active, which is highly recommended.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

TQ

• Personal Text
    • Emen Valley Radio
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »
Hi Marius,

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect I'm not explaining myself very well, I will try again and also provide some more info.

The problem is that EVERY newly imported track in my 1.7.1.0 version has a 'Next Start' to 'End' period of 18.990 seconds.

To isolate that it's only within my 1.7.1.0 version I renamed an artist folder and used 'Verify Tracks' to remove the tracks from the database. I backed up the database and stopped v1.7x.

I then ran v1.6.5.7 which I have on the same machine. I corrected the folder name and re-imported the artist folder into the database.

On returning to v1.7x all of the tracks now have an appropriate period between 'Next Start' and 'End' ie a few seconds at most.

There are no errors in the event log when I do the import in v1.7x (and yes, event logging IS switched on).

It appears something is overriding the 'Next Start' to 'End' period.

Update:
In v1.6.5.7 I have 'Remove silence' switched OFF (because I have some tracks that have periods of near silence in the middle of them (eg Pink Floyd) which was causing the next track to start half way through the previous track) and have carried this through to v1.7x.

Having re-read your comment Marius I switched it ON in v1.7 and tried the whole process again. It worked like a dream.

Clearly there is a difference between v1.6x & 1.7x as it was not necessary to have 'Remove silence' enabled to import the tracks which is what I'll do in future.

Comments invited.

Nick

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »
Even if you have silence in the middle of the song, it will never put there the cue next/end if that silence is followed by a higher level sound, so it's safe to let the function enabled.

That function is applied only when the track are imported, so after that you can manually edit the cue points if it's the case. I mean, it's easier to edit 1-2% of the tracks that you think that have some cue points in wrong places, than importing all tracks without being analyzed and having the cue points mathematically added, without taking account of the sound levels.

As a conclusion: Do not the disable remove silence feature if you don't plan to edit ALL imported tracks manually.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

TQ

• Personal Text
    • Emen Valley Radio
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:02:06 PM »
Thanks Marius,

I will leave it enabled in future and monitor tracks that have long silences to see if my problem persists.

I have very very few tracks that need the cue points edited, the software does a brilliant job.

Thanks again

Nick

TQ

• Personal Text
    • Emen Valley Radio
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
Sorry to labour this subject.

I've just tried to change the start, next & end of a track after following the instructions above ie with Silence Remover active.

The changes I made were not saved and the positions reverted back to the original, imported settings when I reopened the CUE Editor.

I then turned off (unchecked) the silence remover and again adjusted the start, next & end and this time the settings were retained.

Are you saying Marius that I should enable the Silence remover to import tracks then disable it to edit the tracks?

Thanks

Nick

TQ

• Personal Text
    • Emen Valley Radio
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
So now I'm really confused.

Since restarting RDJ my last post is completely wrong, I can edit the cue points with silence remover active or inactive.

????

Nick