Author Topic: Very basic - getting started  (Read 1823 times)

apdc

• New User

• AthensPop.com
Very basic - getting started
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »
Hi All,

I recently downloaded the latest version of RadioDJ. I have never used the software before, so bear with me.

I followed the tutorial here: http://www.radiodj.ro/tutorials/how-to-install-mysql-server.html. Note that I am a first-time user, so I apologize if this seems like a first-grade question. I proceeded to download MySQL for a 64-bit Windows 7 OS. This is the part where I got lost. The tutorial says to "run the installer," and the video shows the installer already open. However, I'm not sure where to find said installer or even where to begin.

If anyone could possibly provide some assistance it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

AndyDeGroo

Re: Very basic - getting started
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:47:41 AM »
Hi, Jess and welcome to RadioDJ community.

It is most likely that "the installer" is the file you downloaded from MySLQ website, unless you downloaded a zip file. If it's the zip, go back and download MySQL Installer MSI, unless you want to do the setup manually.

apdc

• New User

• AthensPop.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately I'm still a little lost. I downloaded the installer version but when I opened the installer, the options were not the same as in the tutorial. I was given the options of how to install the server, but the options were not the same as in the tutorial. It seems as if I have a different version than what the tutorial explained. I installed the whole package, and afterward I was unsure of what to do, as the tutorial says to enter the root password, etc., and the installer never asked for anything like that. All that exists is a folder in my program files with two command prompt shortcuts.

If you have any other tips or recommendations of what to do I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for your help so far!

Jesse

AndyDeGroo

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
I've downloaded the MSI package and I'm going to install to see what it does. I usually set up MySQL manually on my development machine and don't know how the installer works.

For me the installation completed without a glitch and I could configure not only root password, but also set up new users. MySQL was installed in "%programfiles%\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\" and everything seem to be in place. I'm not sure what you did to get only "two command prompt shortcuts". Maybe you have to look in Program Files (x86) for MySQL installation. I can't test 64bit installer because I'm still running 32bit Windows on my dev PC and my 64bit laptop is away for repairs.
You can install 32bit MySQL if 64bit version doesn't function.

You could try MariaDB, which is a compatible replacement of MySQL. There is a guide on setting up MariaDB by hero forum member DJ GaryBaldy.

apdc

• New User

• AthensPop.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:22:21 AM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks once again for your help. Luckily I did find a YouTube video showing how to install the complete RadioDJ program, and I only needed the first few seconds of it as it sent me to a specific page of the MySQL website. This led me to an installer that fixed the whole thing and I'm now running RadioDJ 99% problem-free.

I do have one question–– I'm trying to setup sweepers, and I'm importing them as tracks. I don't want the names and artists of them to appear in the ID3 to listeners, and I'm happy to manually change these to my station name and slogan in the "edit track" window. However, I want to be able to see the names of them as they are originally made in RadioDJ. For example, if I have a TOH Station ID, I want to see "TOH Station ID" in all windows except for in the "now playing" area, where I want to see the name of my station and its slogan. Is this possible? What do you recommend?

Thanks again,
Jesse

DJones

• New User

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:45 AM »
If you look under Options -> Stream Titles (I think that's the tab, don't have RadioDJ in front me of at the moment), you can specify how you would like the titling to show for different categories. Find Station IDs and change it to what you want people to see. The only caveat is, I believe (and I could definitely be wrong - hopefully Marius or someone more knowledgable can clarify), if using TuneIn API, that will show the actual artist/title regardless of what you put under Stream Titles.

apdc

• New User

• AthensPop.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:41 AM »
Thanks for your help. I had tried that already and I assumed that the ID3 was not being intercepted because the original data still shows up in the "now playing" section. But after testing it with the "now playing" document, I now see this does work. What a relief! One last thing, and this is basic as well, is it possible to insert a track at the top of the playlist?

DJones

• New User

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 03:09:36 AM »
Are you adding the track manually or via an event? If manual, you can highlight either Insert or Replace (the buttons in the middle of the main screen) and drag/drop the track where you want it. If you're doing it via an event, then just make sure you select Top from the Position dropdown.

apdc

• New User

• AthensPop.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 03:14:31 AM »
Ohh, okay. I guess I'm all taken care of! Thanks for your help!  :ok: