Author Topic: Having a remote DJ connect.  (Read 7140 times)

Echers

Having a remote DJ connect.
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:29:53 PM »
Hello.

I'm currently trying to setup RDJ to run my internet radio.
I love it's beautiful design, it's easy to use and fairly easy to setup (compared to PAL scripts in softwares like SAM)
However, I need somehow to run an event for a DJ on a remote location to be able to go LIVE.

How would I go about doing that in RDJ?`
I've followed this guide (http://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=5895.msg34254#msg34254) and it propably works, I just don't understand the "Load Track by ID" thing.
What URL is ment in the remote stream track? - The same as it's already sending to?

I'm sure I have misunderstood something, which is why I turn here for help.
So I will explain step by step what I need.

Step 1. Non-stop (RDJ) will play from my PC's output into a mixer and back into the input. Everything will then be recorded by SimpleCast (my encoder software) and sent to a ShoutCast stream I have rented (will change to IceCast later). This is the link listeners will be listening from.
Step 2. My DJ's will need to be able to connect to RDJ on my PC, switching from Non-stop to a consistent playback file (propably the mentioned URL) until the EVENT ends.
Step 3. At the end of the EVENT it should automatically throw back the Non-stop music.

Would I need a "server" running on my PC too for my DJ's to connect to or does something more handy exist?

I hope this makes any sense. If not, please ask away and I will try to explain even further.

If it is possible to make a link/button a DJ can click on to activate an EVENT (so that they may go LIVE at any time) that would be amazing!
This way they can control the exact point they want to start the show (Just to ensure an EVENT won't run without the DJ being 100% ready).

Best regards,
Patrick

nemoradio

• NEMO Radio
Re: Having a remote DJ connect.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
Hi ! Welcome to the RDJ community !

I think you want to do what i did last summer for an outside show !
-First you have to run a local Shoutcast or Icecast server in your studio. This local server must be reachable from outside. You DJs must be able to connect it from outside locations using theis own encoders (Simplecast, Edcast, or other).
-Then you have to create a track which opens the local Icecast or Shoutcast server: "Track type= Internet stream" and enter your stream URL in the "Path/URL" field. Please note the track ID from the tracks manager if you want to use it with the TCP plugin.
If all is ok, you should now be able to load this track into the playlist and if a source is connected to this local server the stream will be played by RDJ !
Now you can set an event to auto start and auto cut the outside show, but your DJs must be very accurate with the studio time...
What i did is the following: I installed the TCP plugin in RDJ, opened the right TCP port on my router, and i tweaked the "RadioDJ Demo Script V2.2" to suit my needs to have a web page with buttons which can launch the "outside live show" track when i want ! Note that disconnecting the outside source will make RDJ skip to the following track, so when the outside show is finished simply disconnects source to make the studio RDJ skip to the next playlist track !
Hope it's clear  :hihi:
www.nemoradio.fr

Echers

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »
Hi ! Welcome to the RDJ community !

I think you want to do what i did last summer for an outside show !
-First you have to run a local Shoutcast or Icecast server in your studio. This local server must be reachable from outside. You DJs must be able to connect it from outside locations using theis own encoders (Simplecast, Edcast, or other).
-Then you have to create a track which opens the local Icecast or Shoutcast server: "Track type= Internet stream" and enter your stream URL in the "Path/URL" field. Please note the track ID from the tracks manager if you want to use it with the TCP plugin.
If all is ok, you should now be able to load this track into the playlist and if a source is connected to this local server the stream will be played by RDJ !
Now you can set an event to auto start and auto cut the outside show, but your DJs must be very accurate with the studio time...
What i did is the following: I installed the TCP plugin in RDJ, opened the right TCP port on my router, and i tweaked the "RadioDJ Demo Script V2.2" to suit my needs to have a web page with buttons which can launch the "outside live show" track when i want ! Note that disconnecting the outside source will make RDJ skip to the following track, so when the outside show is finished simply disconnects source to make the studio RDJ skip to the next playlist track !
Hope it's clear  :hihi:

Hello.
It sounds pretty simple and along the line of what I had in mind.
Would it be possible to another ShoutCast server outside the studio to make my DJs connect to that and add the Path/URL for the "connect" server and still make my own Encoder run directly on the "listener" server?

I hope that made sense.

Also, would it be possible to go private and try and set this up together? Perhaps by using Skype or something like that to communicate?
If you are willing to do that ofcourse.
This is only to ensure I actually do it correctly as I'm still very new at using RDJ and haven't really played much with it rather than setting up Track Rotations ;D.

Thank you in advance.

nemoradio

• NEMO Radio
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
It sounds pretty simple and along the line of what I had in mind.
Would it be possible to another ShoutCast server outside the studio to make my DJs connect to that and add the Path/URL for the "connect" server and still make my own Encoder run directly on the "listener" server?

Yes you can !

Also, would it be possible to go private and try and set this up together? Perhaps by using Skype or something like that to communicate?
If you are willing to do that ofcourse.

Yes but i don't use Skype. We can do this by phone or Teamviewer if you want. In which country do you live ? Please answer by PM.
www.nemoradio.fr

nemoradio

• NEMO Radio
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
You can import "internet streams tracks" following this post:
http://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php?topic=5512.0
See also the attached picture 1

Then note the track ID like shown in picture 2.

Il you want to remotely insert the track at the top of the playlist follow this:
See picture 3
See picture 4

The edit and upload the attached file to your web server: commands.php

[attachment deleted by admin]
www.nemoradio.fr

Echers

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »
Thank you very much for your help!

nemoradio

• NEMO Radio
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »
I'm happy for you if it works ! Thanks to Marius  :D

Kind regards.
www.nemoradio.fr

rogiermaas

• Musicbox Live - Non-Stop Hits!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 11:35:40 PM »
Well, this is something we could very much use for our station!

So I've installed a Shoutcast-server, I am able to connect and stream music, no problem. I have imported a Radio Stream-track into the database and when a DJ is connected to the 'realy-stream', RadioDJ plays that track.

I however run into some problems:

- On our site, the [now-playing] isn't being updated, it only says nothing to display at the moment.
- When the DJ disconnects, RadioDJ keeps playing silence from the stream to which no DJ is connected.

Also, it seems that the Shoutcast-server runs in the foreground instead as a service (on CentOS). Perhaps I need something like screen..

Any more hints?

- Rogier

P.S.: OMG I LOVE RADIODJ!!!
DJ Garybaldy is RIGHT! RadioDJ WILL defeat the Evil SAM!
Musicbox Live! - musicboxlive.nl

nemoradio

• NEMO Radio
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 07:45:10 AM »
Hi !

To make a metadata transfer you have to put [AUTO] in the "comments" field of your track edit !

I didn't try with Shoutcast but with Icecast and when i disconnected the remote station RDJ played only a 1/2s silence then played the next track of the playlist...
www.nemoradio.fr

rogiermaas

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »
Hi!

The [No Info] was a glitch of RadioDJ: all of our settings were gone all of a sudden. Fixed now.
For the second part, I think I'll need to find myseld an IceCast-server then. The idea of not having to fiddle around with RadioDJ on the server keeping on playing while another DJ is doing his program is a nice idea.

We'll be back!

- Rogier

rogiermaas

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 12:02:50 AM »
Ok, so I have installed an IceCast2-server, made an Internet Stream and now I can connect to my 'master'-RadioDJ which streams my own RadioDJ-song, complete with song info, due to the [AUTO] in the Comments-field of the Intenet-stream-track.

The only problem we have now is that on our Shoutcast-stream, it doesn't relay the artist and title-info.
Perhaps Shoutcast is outdated and we're going to have to switch to IceCast. Does anybody have these same results and perhaps some tips?

- Rogier

nemoradio

• NEMO Radio
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »
Even with a classic track ? Which encoder do you use ?
www.nemoradio.fr

rogiermaas

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
On our main RadioDJ(1)-station, we use the built-in some encoder plugin, streaming to a ShoutCast-server.
Then we made a Radio Stream-track that connects to an IceCast-server to listen to other DJ's broadcasts (RadioDJ(2), (3), etc). In the comment-field, we put [AUTO], so the Artist and Title display on the main RadioDJ(1)-screen (where the Artists and Titles usually are being displayed).
But this info is not being streamed to our Shoutcast-server.

Once we disconnect our DJ to RadioDJ(1), the Artists and Titles are being transferred.

- Rogier

rogiermaas

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
Now that I think of it: this is exactly the reason I kept streaming with EdCast Standalone; A******t seems to having trouble relaying the Now Playing info to Shoutcast-servers.. But then again: this is RadioDJ, pulling a stream off an IceCast (2.3.3)-server, displaying the Now Playing Info right on the screen and also onto our website with the RadioDJ-plugin..

Is that weird or what!  :-[

nemoradio

• NEMO Radio
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
That's why i didn't observe any problem (except for the french accents) as i use Edcast standalone + Icecast  ;)
www.nemoradio.fr