Author Topic: Why does loading the News mp3 cause RDJ 1.7.5 to send CPU high?  (Read 10270 times)

TQ

• Personal Text
    Perseverance is everything!
    • Emen Valley Radio
Re: Why does loading the News mp3 cause RDJ 1.7.5 to send CPU high?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
Where do I find version 1.7.5 for download? People posting some problems with this version but I can't find any link for download it here on RDJ website.
Install 1.7.4 the use the RDJ database setup tool. Click the 'Update' tab then check for updates.

Problem solved

TQ
A problem is only a problem if you can't find the solution.

Jhonny

• Personal Text
    Peace, enjoy life, last sleep is longer than live!
    • Jhonny's RadioDJ tutorials.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »
Where do I find version 1.7.5 for download? People posting some problems with this version but I can't find any link for download it here on RDJ website.
Regards
Newton

Close rdj start autoupdate.exe in the root of rdj.
done, start rdj

Jh.
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Einstein says: Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler! (wise) this is just my life lesson you know.

I don't do drugs, I do tuts. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) visit  https://radiodj.info

Testing RadioDJ v2.0.3.6 Beta

ncborges

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
Close rdj start autoupdate.exe in the root of rdj.
done, start rdj

Jh.

Thanks so much Jhonny.

Pegbars

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 12:12:31 AM »
It sounds like a IRQ (sharing) issue, assuming you are using the latest drivers for both of the offending devices

Thank you again, TQ!  Some great info there.  I will check this area.  I already have latest drivers available, but the computer is getting old-ish, so new drivers haven't been made for several years.  I'm also keeping my eyes open for a newer (used) computer.  I have a nice new multi-core machine here, but I use it for work, so I'm using the older ones for dedicated radio service.

Pegbars

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 03:39:35 AM »
Hummm...

I'm not getting any yellow exclamation marks, and it says there are no conflicts... although why is my Soundblaster card and an IDE controller on the same IRQ?  (Btw, the box to change IRQs is grayed out, so it won't let me change it anyway.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pegbars

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »
UPDATE:

I temporarily ran RDJ v.1.6.5.7 using my currently-installed database, and the high CPU usage problem DOES NOT exist with it  My news file loads and plays perfectly.

Something in the later version(s) is causing more resources to be used when dealing with "Newest from Folder" track types.  I guess my computer is marginal enough for me to notice the difference.

TQ

• Personal Text
    Perseverance is everything!
    • Emen Valley Radio
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
I'm not getting any yellow exclamation marks, and it says there are no conflicts... a
My wireless adapter card and the onboard sound card are causing the conflicts.

IRQ sharing is not a conflict so don't expect a yellow exclamation mark, it just means that 2 processes share the same interrupt. A simple analogy is human multi-tasking, if you are riding a bike and eating an ice cream your mind is shared reasonably equally between the two tasks. If then the ice starts melting rapidly and simultaneously a pedestrian walk into you path, you brain goes into overtime.

If your conflict is between say the WiFi card and your hard drive (only applies if you HD is not using direct DMA) or other essential part of your system, there will be a lag while it sorts itself out.

Mindful that IRQ's may not be your issue, have you installed process explorer. This will show where the pressure is being applied.

As far as versions of RDJ are concerned, new tables and/or columns were added between the two versions you mention.

If there is an issue there then that may have something to do with your problem. AndyDeGroo is much better placed than I am to help you with that but again, process explorer should give you some pointers.

TQ

A problem is only a problem if you can't find the solution.

Pegbars

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »
I understand.  I will try running Process Explorer.  I have it on my machine from an earlier issue, but I couldn't be sure what I was looking at or exactly what it was telling me... although, I can Google that.

That's a good analogy about riding the bike, by the way. 

AndyDeGroo

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
I've been following this thread but couldn't see how I could contribute. Now that I've been summoned by TQ, would be about the right time to join this conversation.

I can only add my acknowledgement to the Sysinternals Process Explores suggestion.
You might also find Microsoft (formerly Sysinternals) Process Monitor useful for determining what exactly a program does. Just use its filters and include only RadioDJ.exe as process name. Then try to run the problematic event in RadioDJ and see which actions take the most time. Note that you shouldn't be running Process Monitor for extended time as it can consume considerable amount of system resources. To stop monitoring, just click the magnifying glass icon in upper left and Process Monitor will stop recording events. After capturing what you needed, you can filter out irrelevant events and highlight those that you are interested in. I suggest you start by highlighting the path of the news directory and scan thought all events until you find the highlighted ones.
Also, you might have to hide unnecessary groups of events by deselecting some icons form the group of buttons on the right side of toolbar.

Uh, I hope that it makes sense.

I have an itch to ask one question: How many files do you have in the directory you specified in path/URL field for the "Newest From Folder" tracks?
If there are many files, like over few hundred, that might be the most likely cause of this issue.

Yes, the bicycle analogy is one of the best analogies for describing computer related concept I've seen.
I also have to rely on analogies in my work with clients. Perhaps my most overused analogy is comparing development of a web site to building a house, when a potential client asks how much a typical web site would cost.

Pegbars

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
I sincerely appreciate all the good help, gents!  Andy, I started with three files in the news directory, then tried just one.  When running at full bore, there are never more than 24 files in the directory since the podcaster (Juice) deletes files more than a day old.