• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Web interface for managing RadioDJ remotely

Started by AndyDeGroo, November 15, 2014, 06:16:18 PM

If RDJ had a web interface, would you use it?

Yes, bring it on!
37 (82.2%)
No, I'm fine with using RDP/TeamViewer/VNC for that
2 (4.4%)
Not interested
0 (0%)
Maybe, what could I do with it?
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: February 13, 2015, 06:16:18 PM

AndyDeGroo

I think that this is a good occasion to put the poll feature for a spin and gather some reactions.
You might ask, why the silly answers? Why not make voting a bit more fun? Because filling forms is a boring process for the most part.

So, there it is. Use your vote wisely as it may determine what is going to happen with RadioDJ in coming months or even years.

UPDATE 2014-11-21

The most popular answers seems to be the last one, which actually asks a question. So, I'm obliged to ellaborate;

At the bare minimum the interface should have access to RadioDJ MySQL database and REST Server plugin to preform the following tasks:

• Manage tracks same as track manager in RadioDJ
  • Edit tracks same as in RadioDJ track editor (except for importing files but more on that - later)
  • --- side note: In time it would be possible to update track info from various on-line sources. Discogs, MusicBrainz, Amazon, Wikipedia, Spotify, last.fm - you name them
  • Create and edit rotations (switching would require changes in REST plugin)
  • Manage events (running them would also require enhanced REST plugin)
  • Enable/disable events altogether or by category
  • Create, edit and modify playlists. Playlists could be loaded using REST Server requests
  • Change, populate and clear main playlist/queue. Currently tracks can be inserted at top or bottom only. (some changes to REST Server required)
  • Stop, play, pause, load track or restart main player - all done via REST Server
  • Play and edit carts (aka instant players)
  • Enable/disable Assisted and Auto DJ modes
  • Toggle the INPUT button, which should not be used for live voice broadcasting (I had add that)
  • Customised rotation handling in PHP with possibilities that are not available using RadioDJ rotations
  • Monitor RadioDJ status remotely
  • If REST plugin allowed to execute events or event actions, it could perform anything that is available in events. Just think of the possibilities!

I'm sure that I've forgotten to add something but this list should be enough to persuade those who are on the fence.

Oh, I almost forgot about the importing of tracks; It would be possible as long as the web server can access the same file system where RadioDJ stores it's files. Mapping different paths could be problematic if it's running on a different system. Nevertheless it is still a possibility.

What might not be possible or is quite complicate to develop:

• CUE editor. (Might be possible but I have to research it first)
  • Voice broadcasting. Although, there are projects out there which have it working.
I'm not sure if anything else would be impossible. Feel free to point it out or ask.

Any additions? You are welcome to contribute.

Jhonny

Well i like it, using a poll to get a simple answer, and not to have go to all reply's who think the same.
I suggested it once before, but did not get a reaction on it.

Hope everyone sees the simple useful in it, use the poll/vote and leave if you like your comment or reply for the question.
But do not abuse it

Andy  :cool:

Jh.
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Einstein says: Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler! (wise) this is just my life lesson you know.

I don't do drugs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The Radiodj tutorials site is now managed by Domstad radio .nl still  Just in English

DJ Garybaldy

While I voted for the second option!

I think maybe it would be good for some people if they could control RDJ through a web interface. I don't know how difficult or easy that would be to implement in the software or as a plugin....

as for me I'm more than happy using remmina to log onto the box running RDJ and do things via a remote DT.
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

TQ

Hi Andy,

Interesting concept, here's a few pro's I can think of:

Security

• RDP is all very well but once you open a port for it, it gets scanned every day. Even if you change the port (which I do) it can still be found and they know what's on the other end to hack.

• Teamviewer can also be hacked, I know, I've seen it in action. Propriety software attracts custom hacks.

Convenience

• You could watch 'Match of the day' on your 120" wide screen TV and still monitor your RDJ on wifey's tablet  :)

• You could work around the office/home/whatever on another computer and be a refresh away from the pulse of your station. Even the most basic PC/MAC/maybe even phone could keep you in touch.

• I'm sure the outside broadcast guys would be able to benefit from it especially those that don't/can't use RDP etc.

• Extending on the last comment, various levels of control could be provided from a single plugin with multi-level passwords for different skill/requirement levels.

• The web interface could also integrate other elements like the cdb or web lookups

Maybe not in your remit but.... VoIP could be used for talk-back between the studio and remote sites/dj's/broadcasts.

OK, so I'm getting a bit carried away now but I'm sure there are lots of reasons why a web based interface would be an interesting idea.

Con's

• Marius moves very fast, very fast at updating/upgrading RDJ. It'll be a full time job keeping up with him.

I look forward to reading other peoples feedback and wish lists.

TQ
A problem is only a problem if you can't find the solution.

AndyDeGroo

TQ,
I agree with all of the pro's you've mentioned and even with the somewhat crazy VoIP idea. AFAIK, Sourcefagric's Airtime has ability to broadcast speech remotely using modern browsers and its GUI is entirely web based. Although, Airtime was quite limited in what it could do as a radio automation software the last time I tired it about a year ago. Not sure if it has been improved but it could be a good source to draw inspiration.
The only con you mentioned is not a big concern as there are very few breaking changes in every RadioDJ version. However, judging by recent conversations and the following silence from Marius, he might be working on next major release, which could bring some dramatic changes and enhancements to RadioDJ. Our master developer is a little secretive and doesn't spill his beans as easily. We shall see if this post catches his attention.
To sign off, I'd also like to welcome any suggestions and ideas. If there will be enough positive responses, this project could become the next big thing in our community.

AndyDeGroo

I have good news: The idea has been accepted by Marius.

I was expecting to see more votes by now.

If you have web development skills or any other development related experience and are interested to work on this project, please post here or send me a PM.
You may be helpful even if you have moderate understanding how to use a browser. Anyone could help with testing, suggesting improvements or by providing constructive criticism.

TQ

Hi Andy,

I wonder if your survey would be better placed if you asked:

"If RDJ had a web interface, would you use it?"

1 - Yes, bring it on
2 - Maybe, what could I do with it
3 - Not interested

Answer 1 & 3 speak for themselves and answer 2 allows you to expand on the project aims.

Apply Steve Jobs/Apples philosophy, create something then tell people why they can't do without it.

I thought you said Marius had gone 'Dark' but that's good news all the same.

TQ
A problem is only a problem if you can't find the solution.

AndyDeGroo

Quote from: TQ on November 17, 2014, 10:17:11 AM
Hi Andy,

I wonder if your survey would be better placed if you asked:

"If RDJ had a web interface, would you use it?"

1 - Yes, bring it on
2 - Maybe, what could I do with it
3 - Not interested

Answer 1 & 3 speak for themselves and answer 2 allows you to expand on the project aims.

Apply Steve Jobs/Apples philosophy, create something then tell people why they can't do without it.

I thought you said Marius had gone 'Dark' but that's good news all the same.

TQ

Thank you for suggestions, TQ.

I've changed the title and three of the answers per your recommendation. Had to leave the second one because there are two votes already. BTW, anyone who has voted can change their answer.
If you have any other ideas how to apply Apple philosophy, I'm all ears.

Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that Marius is a real person living somewhere in northern Romania who has a family and his own life to take care of. I can't blame him for taking time off, not answering our every question or following every thread on forums. I'm sure that there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons for him not to be here every day.

AndyDeGroo

Guys, guys! (I'm not sure if there are any ladies here)

I have updated the original post. I'll post this to bump this thread up in the recent topics list!
The update is here

Oh, my! How did I mess up this one? Sorry for that.

rniblett

If I'm understanding this correctly, this would amongst other things, allow a simple way for presenters to remotely create playlists for upcoming live shows, on the stations main playout machine?

If so, yes please. Before we started Pirate Nation, the previous station I volunteered at used Zara, primarily as it allowed presenters to create and save their playlists using multiple installs of Zara on machines in the production area prior to the show and save them on the shared drive. Come show time it was simply a case of loading their pre-saved playlist into Zara on the studio machine and off we went.

I'm aware I could set up two separate instances of RDJ pointing to the same database, however if presenters could create their playlists remotely without fear of interrupting the current show, this would make an already winning piece of software an invaluable tool for any small station.

Clearly this interface would do much more than this, for our little station though, bring it on ....
www.piratenationradio.com
www.facebook.com/TSoFR
www.twitter.com/TSoFR

linawebradio

Andy, that would be great!!
Our web radio has volunteers that cooperate from their homes and it would be perfect if they could do most of the job at home instead of coming to my home where RadioDJ-running-PC is.

I can't help you with programming (web or software), but i would like (all of we, actually!) to be a beta-tester of the project. So my vote is for "yes, bring it on!"
www.linawebradio.it
La tua Social Radio!

AndyDeGroo

Quote from: rniblett on November 29, 2014, 12:43:40 PM
If I'm understanding this correctly, this would amongst other things, allow a simple way for presenters to remotely create playlists for upcoming live shows, on the stations main playout machine?
Yes, you are correct. As an added benefit there will be user access level control. User profiles would be configured to have access to some features, like playlists, but wouldn't be able to modify queue or delete tracks from database.

I'm glad to see positive feedback and supportive attitude. Thanks, guys.

So far I've written down a long list of ideas and notes software libraries that could be used by the project. I'm planning to start writing code after holidays.

rniblett

Quote from: AndyDeGroo on November 30, 2014, 09:29:34 PM
Yes, you are correct. As an added benefit there will be user access level control. User profiles would be configured to have access to some features, like playlists, but wouldn't be able to modify queue or delete tracks from database.

I'm glad to see positive feedback and supportive attitude. Thanks, guys.

So far I've written down a long list of ideas and notes software libraries that could be used by the project. I'm planning to start writing code after holidays.

That would be fantastic, especially with user permissions - were are only a small team but the ability to effectively 'lock-out' certain functions for presenters accessing remotely would be a must I think. The presenters I have mentioned this to are all quite fired up about it, and being able to control RDJ remotely from a cheap Win 8.1 tablet is quite exciting!

Good luck with the coding, I wish I was able to help but alas it all goes over my head!
www.piratenationradio.com
www.facebook.com/TSoFR
www.twitter.com/TSoFR

kmuzfm

This particular feature for RadioDJ is VERY appealing to me for a couple of reasons:
- A browser-based application interface can utilize an existing PC in the DJ Control Room instead of adding yet another physical PC, Keyboard, Mouse, & Monitor and additional heat into the room.
- The physical RadioDJ system can then reside in our secure server room.

Combined with role-based permissions, you could then have something like:
- DJ only (play/stop)
- Content Manager (add tracks, modify schedules, etc.)
- System Admin (uber access)

Certainly also exciting is the idea of more complex features like Airtime's approach to support Remote DJs doing their shows, but initially, I would be very happy with a simple, reliable, beginning!
(p.s. I keep an eye on Airtime and Rivendell too, but for me, RadioDJ is an easy choice over the others!)

Thank you Marius and everyone on this forum for making RadioDJ so excellent!
KMUZ-FM

xanaftp

I don't know if it's even possible, but one really cool thing is if we could have a RadioDJ interface that also allowed for remote sound input from the web browser (via. microphone input, HTML5 most likely) by means of an input button similar to that on the main program. That way, I could have interested DJs who want to do a show do so easily via. the RadioDJ interface and input instead of relying on 15+ second delays from streaming through an encoder.