• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

What does the INPUT button from RadioDJ?

Started by Marius, November 18, 2014, 01:04:26 PM

Marius

This question pops almost every week in a topic, so i think that is better to have a sticky topic with the answer.

In RadioDJ options you can set a sound card input which can be muted/unmuted using the button from the program's main user interface. However this is not intended for microphone usage, because the input is routed thru the audio processing plugin, which will add some delay that is not appropriate for live talking. The delay amount is tightly related to your sound card and computer processing power. The input feature was requested by users which needed to rebroadcast from external sources (eg. satellite) and it was implemented with that in mind.

RadioDJ doesn't support microphones plugged directly into the soundcard, because any software processing will add delay and thus, a professional result cannot obtained in that way.
Instead, even with a cheap hardware mixer the results are far much better. [See how to use it here].

As a note, if an external mixer is used, you will need to change your encoder to use the sound card LINE IN as a source. For this can be used also the A******t STANDALONE.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

AndyDeGroo

Yes! Finally a good description about the issue from Marius himself. I should bookmark this topic for quick access.

IMO, RadioDJ should display a message box describing that it should not be used for voice broadcasting when user selects mic as input in sound card options for the first time. Although, I'm not sure if it is possible to detect that the input is a microphone apart from its name.

cannibal radio

I hope Im not "muddying" the waters here but if you really are serious about broadcasting then most likely you will have a "pro-sumer" USB/Firewire audio interface. These come with an option of "zero latency" monitoring via a headphone jack which can be set to output the microphone input DIRECTLY.

In simple words, one can use a microphone input TO RadioDJ - his/her voice WILL be streamed with some minor delay (5-15 mseconds, this is relative to the audio interface and its buffer size setting PLUS the latency introduced by RadioDJ itself and its audio processing) but STILL monitor his/her own voice via headphones if and only if there is a "zero latency monitoring" system on the audio interface.

Frankly, I make this point, because the "latency" issue seems to appear to someone not knowledgeable enough, as a "problem" of RadioDJ when it really isnt - if you can think through your monitoring chain and you do have a semi-professional audio interface then it is "unfair" for the software (rasioDJ)  to say it is unuseable due to latency - there is NO software with zero latency.

;)

Sindbadradio

Hello,
Could you give more explanations about the functionality of the "monitor" connection between the mixer and the sound card. Is it necessary or not? Where in the mixer I have to connect the Rear out if I don't have the '2 tracks' ?
Happy holidays.
SR

paulheu

Hi there!

New to RadioDJ but not to audio..

One of the first things I looked for when checking RadioDJ was where to plug in the mic. I quickly found the explanation and I honestly do not understand why this would be such an issue.

There is two things which play here

• The solution using a separate mic input on a mixer would mean no processing on the mic unless I add it externally.
  • Having the mix signal available in the program would allow for much tighter integration. It would for instance allow a voice over compression of the music stream.

The argument might have been true for Windows XP or Vista, but 7 and 8 for sure offer some serious improvement there.

Windows 10 offers significant improvements in internal audio latency as well as extremely easy coding to implement both a mic input as well as processing of the signal. Besides that, if I can record multiple live channels while I playback others with minimal latency on my system why should it be hard to have 1 live channel added to a stereo playback channel.

Besides all this, It's done by quite a few of other Broadcasting tools. Currently using VirtualDJ but even while it's far more polished and smooth as a program, RadioDJ would suit me better for broadcast..

Thanks..

djclewes

i thought adding a mic input feature was not up for discussion on here due to me adding a topic about adding a mic feature then it getting locked after just 3 replies. it is the only thing that lets radiodj down. all good and well for people who can afford a mixer but for those who want it as a hobby in there bedroom without the expense it is a no go option and other software needs to be looked into.
Owner of South Lanarkshire

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: djclewes on July 01, 2015, 02:50:50 AM
i thought adding a mic input feature was not up for discussion on here due to me adding a topic about adding a mic feature then it getting locked after just 3 replies. it is the only thing that lets radiodj down. all good and well for people who can afford a mixer but for those who want it as a hobby in there bedroom without the expense it is a no go option and other software needs to be looked into.

A mixer shouldn't have to cost you a lot you can pick them up for around £60-90
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

djclewes

£60 is a lot of money to anyone let alone 14-15 year old who want to take up radiodj as a hobby in there room. The people who do not like the idea do not have to use the feature but at least it would be there as a back up if there mixer goes faulty. i am sure the people would appriciate the mic feature then so they can do there show while waiting on a new mixer to arrive. last thing anyone wants is there mixer to start smoking half way through a show and then there show cancelled. great back up even for advanced stations to.

DJ Garybaldy

I bought a mixer for £93 about 2/3 years ago and it's not burnt out on me yet (Citronic)

We've been over it a million times the reason there is no Microphone input in RDJ is because of latency issues. Anyone who's ever had issues with the VoiceFX in SAM broadcaster can stand testimony how bad latency issues can screw up a broadcast.

Quote£60 is a lot of money to anyone let alone 14-15 year old who want to take up radiodj as a hobby in there room.

If you can't afford 60-90 quid for a small mixer then you really need to find a hobby you can afford! Every hobby ends up costing you money eventually.... Not everything in life is FREE

Plus you'll end up sounding "Professional"

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

paulheu

The thing here is that it is not just a mixer, you need processing as well then. Processing in the box is much easier. It's really a matter of supporting ASIO to fix this and with RadioDJ using BASS anyway that should be trivial and add a lot of value to the program, probably enough to create a 'PRO' branch which could cost a little something.

There really is no valid argument to not support low latency mic input.

But I guess you can't really expect much from a free piece of software that probably works for those who develop it.

DJ Garybaldy

Quote[But I guess you can't really expect much from a free piece of software that probably works for those who develop it.

RadioDJ in fairness is just an Automation program. Which works a lot better than "Other" software i've used in the past 13 or so years.

How you chose to wire up your studio after that is up to you.

RadioDJ is for automating the music with. :bash:

IF RadioDJ isn't doing what you want because there in no mic input there are other programs out there that do have that feature, go use one of them IF it matters to you that much.

Although they may end up costing you $$$

paulheu

Don't say I do not agree with you, I'm just spotting a missed opportunity here. No doubt plenty of people are happy the way things are. Me and I'm sure plenty of others will choose to not use RadioDJ for this very reason.

Not saying you should, or must, or anything like that. Just voicing my opinion..

FL Coast

Quote from: djclewes on July 01, 2015, 12:45:06 PM
£60 is a lot of money to anyone let alone 14-15 year old who want to take up radiodj as a hobby in there room. The people who do not like the idea do not have to use the feature but at least it would be there as a back up if there mixer goes faulty. i am sure the people would appriciate the mic feature then so they can do there show while waiting on a new mixer to arrive. last thing anyone wants is there mixer to start smoking half way through a show and then there show cancelled. great back up even for advanced stations to.

If you are serious about broadcasting, even as a hobby, a mixer is just another part of the package.  I have a mixer I have been using for over 15 years and it still functions as well today as it did when I bought it.  Besides, the mixer costs way less than the computer you are using.  If you can't afford a mixer now and you have a microphone, you can always record your talking segments in the Playlist Builder and add them into the playlist. It is up to you how serious you want to be with your hobby.   :) 

If RadioDJ can't do what you want, just DELETE it.  It has cost you nothing.   :hihi:

Just have FUN...  :cool:
:)    Play the Music and Have Fun!    :ok:
==================================
Fun In The Sun,  From the Florida Coast
"It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts."
John Wooden 1910 - 2010

djclewes

if you can not afford a mixer you should choose a new hobby?

not very fare all because a few radio dj members disagree over a silly mic input.

if it does not do what you want then uninstall it? 

so now people on the forum are recommending
that people who require a mic feature do not use radio dj. not very loyal to the software creator is it.
he spends all his time on the software and you go recommend people use some other software.

I just do not understand why people who do not want a mic feature just no install the module or just tick a
disable button once one was created and that way radio dj covers the software for everyone even if the mic
feature was part of the radio dj pro package once created or create a module and charge $5 for it.

DJ Garybaldy

RadioDj is supplied "As Is" you are free to go and use another piece of software anytime you want. It's not being disloyal if you go and use something else.

So RadioDJ isn't for everyone but hey .... it's the only piece of software I will ever need for streaming with.

You don't seem to grasp the fact that sounding professional is what radio is all about and using a crappy mic plugged into the back of a PC will sound horrible in the first instance.

Hence why a Mixer is the one thing you need I get great results using my mixer and getting VAC to pick the sound up from the line in then transferring that audio to the encoding program.

If you want to sound cheap then sound cheap....