• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Why [ALREADY EXISTS] when folder is different Genre is different ????

Started by spirosk, November 18, 2014, 04:42:35 PM

spirosk

When importing folder why i get "[ALREADY EXISTS]....

Tracks are the same but:

1.In diffent folders
2.Applyed  different Genre
3.Applyed different Subcategory

Is this normal ????
Thank's

Marius

The same file cannot be imported more than once, because you would get repeated plays for the same track.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

spirosk

Since the tracks included in different folders (path)  with different Genres & Subcategories
should managed  as different  tracks. Repaets should controled from an option
(looked for one but did find)  "Don't repeat same track for the next [hh:mm:]"
Jazler  behaves like this and it's absolutely right... 

Is there any way to solve this anyway and make it behaves like a different track ?
Thank you very much ....

Marius

DOWNLOADS PAGE

----------------

spirosk

So ...
I have the rotation:

-Jinle
-Indie/Pop
-IndieSoft
-IndieRock

and some tracks belong all tree Genres .

So these tracks must play form -Indie/Pop or from -IndieSoft or from -IndieRock but
since tracks can stored only once this can't happend....
You see what i'am saying ?????
That's my problem .....

AndyDeGroo

I think that you should use genres for genres, not categories as genres. And you should know that Marius is working hard to add the so much requested feature of multiple categories for each songs. Believe me, it is not an easy few-lines-of-code fix and it won't be ready tomorrow.

Let me explain how RadioDJ categories, sub categories work: First of all, they are not folders. Second, songs are not copied into database or moved anywhere. Files stay where they were and that's why Marius referred to the file path, which must be unique among imported files. If you really, really, really need to import file multiple time and don't want to duplicate them, you should use file system junctions or so called symlinks, to make the file paths look unique. Easiest way to create symlinks or junctions is by using Link Shell Extension.
I hope it helps but feel free to ask if anything is not clear.

spirosk

Hi AndyDeGroo !
Thank you very must for your reply ....
I know very very well how hard some times is just 'simple things' is programming to happen since
I've been a programmer too so I feel  must respect for any programmer  ....

Many songs categorized in  more than one Category or Genre so if you categorize
one track in only one Genre it will play again when rotation of the specific Genre will come around .

But if the same track categorized in more Genres, somehow, will play more often and in more Genres witch is normal....
I believe this can happened only if tracks in different path managed as different.
Thank you !
:)

gstark

Quote from: Marius on November 18, 2014, 06:08:07 PM
The same file cannot be imported more than once, because you would get repeated plays for the same track.

I'm seeing a similar issue to that described by the original poster.

I'm importng a large library - > 24000 tracks - and when importing these files for the very first time I am seeing this message on several of the files.

It may be that the file names are the same, but these files are located in different folders, and there is no way that these are actually the same physical file in the filesystem.

And being the first time import, there is simply no way that the actual physical file - using the full file-path file name - will have already been imported into the library.

So, there seems to maybe be some sort of issue with the imprt process, in that it sometimes gives a false positive for what it's believing to be a duplicate file.

palinst

Quote from: Marius on November 18, 2014, 08:33:59 PM
As long is the same filename, no.

Just to be clear, we're talking the same "filename" or the full "pathname". So, for example, if you
had the following:

C:\MEDIA\SONGS\CHRISTMAS\ARTIST1\JOYTOWORLD.MP3
C:\MEDIA\SONGS\CHRISTMAS\ARTIST2\JOYTOWORLD.MP3

Would both of these import, or would the "already exists" message appear for Artist 2's Joy to the World?

Marius

No matter what path is, if the filename already exists it will not be imported again.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

----------------

palinst

Quote from: Marius on December 02, 2014, 08:12:50 PM
No matter what path is, if the filename already exists it will not be imported again.

That's a tough nut with Christmas songs, since there are 100 versions of the same 25 songs. But that explains the problem we're having.

Thank you for clearing that up.

gstark

Quote from: palinst on December 02, 2014, 08:25:26 PM
That's a tough nut with Christmas songs, since there are 100 versions of the same 25 songs. But that explains the problem we're having.

It's also pretty bad with standards.

How many different versions of "Sunny Side Of The Street" are there?

"Take Five" ?

"All Blues" ?

"Eleanor Rigby" ?

Just to name a few. Using just the file name is, with all due respect, not the best way to do this, as it presents a very clear imposition on just what a person may be able to import.

Putting the track number into the song title filename is a very poor workaround, as the song title does not include ... any track number.

Using the full path would be the correct, and ideal, solution, I believe, as it makes every instance of a file a unique occurrence, and it's more representative of the real world situation that we all encounter.

My music collection consists of around 24500 titles, and I'm just starting to dupilcate a lot of that in HD, so, again, the titles will be the same, although the paths will be quite different.

I can already see that there's about 1000 tracks that have been not imported because they've been, incorrectly, IMHO, flagged as dupes, and from what I'm seeing, any new HD tracks that I try to bring in will also be rejected.

Again, and with the greatest of respect, I believe that this does need to be reviewed.

fuzzyfaraway

I rename all files to <artist> - <track-name> before importing to the database. It greatly simplifies things. I have around 700 Christmas tracks with many duplicate song names, but because of the file name format, they all imported without trouble. I use the "Bulk Rename Utility" to change a whole album at once.

Even some commercially available music libraries come with this file name format, since several automation systems require it.

John T
Christian radio for contemporary adults!
Streaming 24/7 from keptfm.com or get the KEPT FM app for your iOS or Android device!

gstark

But why would you have the artist name in the filename, when you would also have the artist name in the folder structure?

/Artist Name/Album Name/Song Title

seems to me to be the best and most logical way of addressing the filesystem's structure. It simplifies things, and permits you to group most of an artist's work together.

I like to keep things simple and clean, and it'll take a lot to convince me that the nine different versions of "A Foggy Day" (to pick just one work), each of them by different artists, with different lengths, instrumentation and arrangements, are actually duplicates of one another. :)

djginod

Yeah, but how many songs, do not have the title, Love, Lovesong, I Love you etc.... your way of working is very organised, but not the best method I guess for this program. All my songs are in this format: Artistname - Title

MP3tag can help you with this foe example.