Author Topic: Urgent alert: Avast AV marks AutoUpdate.exe as suspicious  (Read 3026 times)

AndyDeGroo

Urgent alert: Avast AV marks AutoUpdate.exe as suspicious
« on: December 07, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »
I was going to update to the latest version usinh AutoUpdate and was greeted with following pop-up form Avast antivirus:

I already reported it as false positive but let's bombard Avast about this issue so they notice it. Twitter, Facebook, email or phone - go on and do it.

DJ Garybaldy

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Don't Shoot! I'm only the Moderator
    • DJ Garybaldy Blog
Re: Urgent alert: Avast AV marks AutoUpdate.exe as suspicious
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »
That's a strange just done a scan on the RadioDJ folder with my copy of Avast and it's come back with "No threats found"  :bash:

I excluded the RadioDJ folder from Avast scanning.... to try and avoid these sort of problems.
Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

RadioDJ is my most FAVOURITE piece of software EVER

https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/djgarybaldy

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »
They really don't care. I wrote to them since this summer and never got any response. Their forum, which was closed a while since their site was hacked (great security masters) had plenty complains from software publishers on this subject.

To avoid discussions, i removed the auto update utility from the release package, but it can be downloaded separately by the users who need it.

I hate avast from all my heart, the only reason i keep it is to be aware when it "thinks" that a a file i release is suspicious. Another antivirus which relays on "crowd wisdom", instead of actual scanning a file before flagging it as malware is norton antivirus.

Strange enough, autoupdate.exe is reported clean on local scan, but if i zip-it and download it from the site is suspicious (avast 2015.10.0.2208).
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »
Here is a report from VirusTotal.com:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/5644f09bdf530b06203c0f8181a8377dc6951c323d5708691112473abd3aed85/analysis/1417959385/
DOWNLOADS PAGE

----------------

rogiermaas

• Musicbox Live - Non-Stop Hits!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:59:03 PM »
I have used Avast and Norton in the past. I'm never ever going to use them again. So many false positives and missed trojans.. Never ever..

- Rogier
DJ Garybaldy is RIGHT! RadioDJ WILL defeat the Evil SAM!
Musicbox Live! - musicboxlive.nl

packzap

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »
Avast was my fave 10 years ago. I recently installed and am horrified how bloated it is now.  It has its tentacles everywhere, even in the browser. And having the customer satisfaction survey's pop up. Bah - as bad as Norton.

HMC

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »
How about just stop using it? If people don't use it they have no need to have a product. I use AVG and don't have such issues.
Radio DJ 1.7.5 Update with MariaDB 10

Marius

• Administrator

• Radio DJ
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »
This problem should be solved with the newest avast database update. In this case they were actually very nice.  :angel:
DOWNLOADS PAGE

----------------

AndyDeGroo

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »
This problem should be solved with the newest avast database update. In this case they were actually very nice.  :angel:
Nice to know they actually respond to our requests. I haven't had much issues with Avast. Just wanted notify community about this issue.