• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

How to use Overlay feature?

Started by Marius, January 21, 2015, 11:43:47 AM

Marius

I get many questions about this feature, so i thought it will be better to record a small example.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INcCH8wUPt4

Summary:
1. First file which can be a jingle continued with a music bed, needs to have the cue next marker where the music bed starts and CUE END at the end of the file;
2. The file(s) which will be played over the music bed, needs to be set as OVERLAY;
3. In order to stop our background music bed, we need to play any other file (NOT OVERLAY type).
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

TQ

Thanks Marius, that was very helpful

TQ
A problem is only a problem if you can't find the solution.

linawebradio

Great Tutorial Marius!
I use this feature since we started our web-radio station with Radio DJ!
I do not know if it is right to post my next request here:
it would be very great if we could use VT-files over the jingles and not only over music.
Could it be possible in the future?
www.linawebradio.it
La tua Social Radio!

bulik4lg

Thank you very much, for that tutorial, Marius.. It was really helpful..! :)
Matej

joshuatree44

Nice. I love this if I had a reason to use it. I was thinking like a top of hour music and the jock's vt could play over it and then a stinger out to the next track but I have to get it setup one of these days. just need the music bed for it or something. Update, working like a charm. Thanks Marius for the video. Given me a purpose for it.

rogiermaas

Quote from: joshuatree44 on January 25, 2015, 11:48:50 PM
Nice. I love this if I had a reason to use it. I was thinking like a top of hour music and the jock's vt could play over it and then a stinger out to the next track but I have to get it setup one of these days. just need the music bed for it or something. Update, working like a charm. Thanks Marius for the video. Given me a purpose for it.

One use would be a VoiceTrack over a bed. For example: we have hourly news playing over a 'news'-bed using this overlay-feature. It comes in very handy!

- Rogier
DJ Garybaldy is RIGHT! RadioDJ WILL defeat the Evil SAM!
Musicbox Live! - musicboxlive.nl

Occassion

I think I found some problem with this or this is suppose be like that. Example if I add this news bed and voice to play area than is all working fine. but if I have made before small playlist; where are news bed and news support jingle and weather bed and jingle and I load this on my play area and add manually (fresh news track) between news bed and jingle than it's not gonna work. stays full length and not use the next start point. When I manually delete on play area news bed track and add from right again same news bed track than it's all fine and working.  :(

Version RadioDJ 1.7.8.0

Occassion

I have discovered another bug what happens when I wanna play overlay but I forgot or something else comes in the middle, than that news bed can't stop it anymore. it plays to the end and this is disturbing. If there is any emergency stop for bed layer than it wanna great! Only thing what stop this right now is to close radiodj and this don't looks right on-air.

Marius

Something else like what? Another overlay file, or a regular music file?
DOWNLOADS PAGE

----------------

Occassion

Quote from: Marius on March 13, 2015, 12:56:11 PM
Something else like what? Another overlay file, or a regular music file?

regular music file

Marius

Any regular file playing after the overlay file has started should stop the background player.
If you can tell me step by step how to replicate the issue, i will fix it.
DOWNLOADS PAGE

----------------

rogiermaas

Marius,

Perhaps you could build in a second check for the bed to stop. Or even a second progressmeter for the bed with a STOP-button to stop the bed.

We have this every hour:

- News bed added to the queue
- VDF added to the queue, Play as Overlay.

If for some reason the VDF wasn't downloaded correctly, or another action is performed like STOP or PAUSE, etc, the bed will keep on playing, even if I press STOP multiple times. It is a soft bed, so it can't be heard clearly over loud music, but it just keeps on playing. A restart of RadioDJ is the only solution to stop the bed.

- Rogier
DJ Garybaldy is RIGHT! RadioDJ WILL defeat the Evil SAM!
Musicbox Live! - musicboxlive.nl

Occassion

Quote from: Marius on March 13, 2015, 05:15:59 PM
Any regular file playing after the overlay file has started should stop the background player.
If you can tell me step by step how to replicate the issue, i will fix it.

"rogiermaas" has describe'd how this happen'd. And the reason is: while on-air dj has just forgot to download right file and put this on the queue on play area.

markusagb

Hello together, is there a solution found to stop the musicbed manual? We have often the problem like others that someone forgot to set check the "play as overlay" checkbox, then the musicbed only can be stopped by killing the application. Would be an important tool, thanks and greetings to all!

FreerunMedia

Quote from: markusagb on May 25, 2017, 07:26:18 PM
Hello together, is there a solution found to stop the musicbed manual? We have often the problem like others that someone forgot to set check the "play as overlay" checkbox, then the musicbed only can be stopped by killing the application. Would be an important tool, thanks and greetings to all!

This is very easy, just play a track that doesn't have any overlay boxes checked. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that the track were is an overlay for, is longer than the track that needs to be played as overlay. So news, the bed is 5 minutes but the news played as overlay is only 2 minutes. The next track played ( news close as example ) kills the "bed track" and only starts when the overlay track ( the news ) has finished playing.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )