RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum

High Network (Gigabit only) Speed Tips & Tricks

Offline Marius

• Radio DJ
High Network (Gigabit only) Speed Tips & Tricks
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:34:59 PM »
Lately i saw that more and more users are using NAS systems for storing files, so ii may be a good idea to share some tips here about how to optimize the network, because many users just plug a gigabit switch or router and think that that's all.

I upgraded my home network to gigabit these days, and without any tweak, the result compared to a 100Mbit network were much better.

On my 100Mbit network the download speed from the nas (ZyXEL NSA325.v2) never exceeded 12MB/s, which is somehow normal. In RadioDJ this speed limit was also visible, when i started a track, it had a small delay.

After i connected all my home appliances (pc's, tv, bluray, nas) to a cheap switch Edimax 5500G v2, the things were changed dramatically, the download speed ranged from 55 to 90MB/s at download, depending by the downloaded file size.

But can we go even further?

If your NAS, switch/router and network card supports jumbo frames, you will be amazed. Luckily for me, mine supported so i enabled them and the speed raised even more.
Now, if i download a file from the NAS, the speed exceeds 100MB/s, all with a simple tweak.

Ok, but how can i enable this? (All indications are for a Windows 7 OS)

- Firstly, make sure that your router or switch support jumbo frames, since all traffic goes thru it. This must appear into product's specifications. Search for the max value. (Mine has 9KB).
- If it supports, enable it also on your NAS, It must be available in your NAS network settings. Select the max value found on your router/switch. (Again, in my case, was 9KB).
- Now, it's time to enable it also on your computer's network adapter. Open control panel - Hardware and Sound - Device Manager -  Network Adapters. Now double click on your gigabit device from the list. Go to advanced and search for jumbo frames (or packet). Now set it to the value found in your NAS and switch/router. (9KB in my case, so i selected 9014 Bytes) VIDEO

That's all, now i can download from my NAS with speeds over 100MB/s...  ;D which has a major impact over RadioDJ.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:58:45 PM by Marius »
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

joshuatree44

Re: High Network (Gigabit only) Speed Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
Also try turning on full duplex if your card supports it and router as well. That is one other thing to try. Some ISP's tell you to turn off Jumbo Frames. Not sure why but prob because they dont support it is my guess. Also there are a few other network tweaks to use via regedit I have found via google. They help nicely as well.

AndyDeGroo

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:11:46 AM »
Jumbo frames are great but there are some drawbacks. Most public network providers don't support jumbo frames and using them can even reduce overall network performance if there are devices that don't support jumbo frames on network.

The 12MB/s limit is most likely related to some devices which is working at 100Mb/s which is 12.5MB/s (without overhed).

From my experience;
Reasons for slow file transfers can be related to how Windows file sharing (SMB) works and not necessary at ethernet layer. I've seen slow speeds on SMB while FTP and HTTP are blazingly fast and can saturate network to the max on same PC.
For Windows 7 turning off HomeGroup sharing may solve this issue. Sometimes turning off IPv6 in Windows helps improve speeds on mixed IPv4/IPv6 networks.
NIC speed auto-negotiation can cause problems, although it shouldn't. Setting all devices to same speed without auto-negotiation can speed up even 100Mb networks.
One, often overlooked, troubleshooting step is changing cables. Bad wiring can cause all kinds of sporadic network problems.

joshuatree44

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:00:19 PM »
Yes make sure if your running on Gigabit to use Cat 6 cables. I have found that keeps things way more happy. 5e cables will work in a pinch but they are not rated to run anything over 1 Gigabit speeds. I have all cat 6 here and they run cheap from places like www.monoprice.com. There are windows tweaks out there to speed things up. the QoS services have a reserve bandwidth in Win 7 and 8. It is 20% and if you turn it off you will be amazed. Also, if you are behind a router turning off the firewall will help big time. You wont be sending packets through 2 firewalls, IE your router, and Windows Firewall. If you have a decent router it will come with a good NAT firewall.

Also, Andy you are right, turning off IPv6 is sometimes a good thing. If your not running IPv6 connections you dont need it on. Most of the world is not on it as of yet. Most of us in USA or Europe dont need it. plus your router is the lynch pin that should have IPv6 connections. it will convert them for you in some aspects.

I am looking over my network cards and the home group is a nice feature if you need it, but if not turn it off. You can still share files without it being on.

Offline Marius

• Radio DJ
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »
I was curious about the network transfer upper limit so i applied your tips. All beside the cables because you know, wife+cables=me sleeping on the balcony...  :D

So:

Disabled QoS = No visible change
Disabled IPv6 = No visible change

Returning to jumbo frames and loosing some internet speed, i think that in a studio is not such a huge deal, as long we are only talking about the NAS & playout computer which have the jumbo frames active. I'm tempted to guess that you will not use the playout computer for torrents of other intensive downloads anyway. Also in my case, maybe the internet speed didn't drop that much because we have pretty good speeds (#3 in the world, yay!).

Jumbo frames OFF (internet speed)

Jumbo frames ON (internet speed)

The slight difference can occur for a number of reasons like network congestion, speedtest.net server load, etc. For now i'm happy with this setting.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:48:42 AM by Marius »
DOWNLOADS PAGE

HOW TO FIX RADIODJ DATABASE
----------------
Please don't PM me for support requests. Use the forums instead.

joshuatree44

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 01:26:53 AM »
http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog/2013/06/how-to-speed-up-your-internet-in-windows-8/ some of these work in Windows 7 too. I have seen my speed jump since I turned off a few things.