• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Lost data trying to update RadioDJ

Started by apdc, April 01, 2015, 01:57:11 AM

apdc

Hi,

I just tried to update my current version of RadioDJ to the newest one–– only to find that I attempted doing so very incorrectly. Now when I open RadioDJ, it is completely defaulted to the original categories and has zero tracks that I had previously. I haven't emptied my recycle bin yet... is it possible to recover any of my old data? I had over 1,000 tracks put in different categories as well as events and rotations.

Any ideas?  :-[

Thank you,
Jesse

Vanlen

Did you back up your database first.  Then update to the latest RadioDJ THEN UPDATE THE DATABASE from the setup directory which you downloaded THEN RE INSTALL THE DB with the new settings so you are good to go?
Forest Green - Music in Nature's Frequency
www.forestgreenradio.ca

AndyDeGroo

Let me clarify what Vanlen wrote:
If you don't have a database backup, you're out of luck and you'll have to recreate all your data. Recycle bin won't help you because it holds files which were deleted using Windows Explorer, not MySQL database tables. The database tables are dropped (deleted) if you use "database.sql" for updating or install it over existing RadioDJ database. There is a clear warning when trying to install database using "Database Setup.exe".

If, however, you have backed up RadioDJ database using "Database Setup.exe":

• Open "Database Setup.exe"
  • Click "RESTORE DATABASE" in upper right and choose backup file. Default backup locations is "RadioDJ\Setup\Backup\".
  • (If you updated RadioDJ from version 1.7.6) To be sure database is updated, go to "Database Utils" tab click "SELECT UPDATE FILE" and select "1.7.7 UPDATE FROM  1.7.6.sql" from "RadioDJ\Setup\Sql\" folder. (You might have to use other - older - files if updating from 1.6.x)
  • (Optional) Do a backup right after updating database and set up daily automatic DB backups.

Remember: RESTORE FROM BACKUP and then UPDATE (not the other way around, because restoring backup restores old database structure)

Here are few things you should do when asking for support or reporting an issue:

• Be extra specific. State precise RadioDJ version and previous version, if issue is upgrade-related.
  • Write what you did step by step. (In this case "I attempted doing so very incorrectly" explains nothing)
  • What what were you trying to do? (optional but sometimes it is not clear what's your objective)
  • What was the expected result?
  • What happened instead?
  • What troubleshooting steps did you take? *(Windows event logs may contain errors and help tremendously)
Note to Admin and global Mods: This info should be displayed to every new user before they start first few (5) posts and as a dismiss-able reminder on support boards. Can we do that?

packzap

Quote from: AndyDeGroo on April 01, 2015, 01:08:09 PM

Here are few things you should do when asking for support or reporting an issue:

• Be extra specific. State precise RadioDJ version and previous version, if issue is upgrade-related.
  • Write what you did step by step. (In this case "I attempted doing so very incorrectly" explains nothing)
  • What what were you trying to do? (optional but sometimes it is not clear what's your objective)
  • What was the expected result?
  • What happened instead?
  • What troubleshooting steps did you take? *(Windows event logs may contain errors and help tremendously)
Note to Admin and global Mods: This info should be displayed to every new user before they start first few (5) posts and as a dismiss-able reminder on support boards. Can we do that?
I sure agree with that. Great ideas Andy!

apdc

Thank you everyone for your replies! Being a relatively new user of RadioDJ, I did not think to back up my database. I have read about this now and have made the changes to have my system automatically backup.

Thank you again!