• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

What streaming format do you prefer?

Started by Marius, July 30, 2010, 10:01:28 PM

garybaldy72uk

Quote from: TravisMitchell on May 21, 2011, 10:02:41 AM
I'm running my Station with IceCast 2 at 128 kbps in stereo.

Whats your station???

jayjaysf

Shoutcast - MP3 160kbps - stereo - http://tvoetoradio.com/ :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
SWEET RADIO - The Best Deep House Music!
http://sweetradio.tvoetoradio.net/

raimundo

q102allthehits

i use aacplus v2 with icecast kh sounds ok www.energyfmonline.weebly.com .. i will have free voice over service soon..if you guys are interested please mail me at mayed_12@live.com

Ravishal

I run OGG at 48Kbps/44khz/stereo . To my ears it sounds good and also performs well in mobile applications.

ricky

i use 128 k at 48000hz with butt encoder

shorty.xs

Hi there!
We're running Shoutcast on 128k 44.1kHz MP3.
We are thinking about going for shoutcast 2.0 and probably rise to 192k mp3.

We're not using RadioDJ yet, but I'm currently looking for alternatives to replace our current system.
So far I only found major 2 things missing:

• built in Encoder for running it unattended on our (v)Server.
  • REST or SOAP like remot control

Best Regards from germany
Malte

garybaldy72uk

Quotebuilt in Encoder for running it unattended on our (v)Server.

There is plenty of Encoding software out there Edcast is the Most popular

QuoteREST or SOAP like remot control

Tight VNC is quite good for controlling a computer remotely its what i use to connect to the box streaming from radiodj

shorty.xs

What I need is a Remot control via a Webinterface, not a remote Desktop.
We have programmed a webinterface, that allows our djs (sitting in thair own home-studio) to set the Automation OFF-AIR to enable them to switch thair studio online. We don't kick the automation via tha Shoutcast server, because this never works properly and you need several try. It could happen that the players of the listners stop, if you go this way.

So we need a built in Encoder because Edcast can not be remote controlled via a Webinterface, once it is online, it is online.  2nd Problem vServers don't allow to install any Hardware, even a Virtual Sound-Card can not be installed. As RadioDJ uses bass.dll it should not be too difficult to utilize the bass-stream and lame.exe. This is the way mAirList has solved it. mAirList also added a small processing unit that can load VST plugins. At the moment I'm using a simple classic compressor (free) VST.

I understand the point of view, having the encoder external, but especially for germany I think much more users would switch to RadioDJ, because it than could fully replace SAM. Even mAirList (I'm a mAirList user since Version 1.xx) didn't have a built in encoder for very long time, because it is not job auf the automation software to follow the master output of the mixer. Finally an Encoder was built in and we were able to use it for our unattended tasks, this was the point that made the software really successfull.

Back to the remot control I also need to request the current Status of the Automation software to remind the DJ to switch it online again or to send Warning eMail. But I have seen some posts here in the forum, that something is in development progress already, that is going this direction.
Remote Controlling the software can be used in many ways, it must not be limited to a webinterface. Same commands can be used for MIDI, Serial, Hotkeys etc.

If Marius is interested I can write down more ideas about this features in a new thread.

EDIT: The tool is called BassEnc not bass-stream, sorry.

garybaldy72uk

I think the Reason there is no Built in encoder with radioDJ is once again down to licence isssues at least i seem to remember Marius saying something along them lines when it was suggested.

shorty.xs

I guess this is due to the Codec license. It is not allowed to supply the lame.exe with the software. It always needs to be downloaded by the User.
It is even not allowed to place a direct link to the download page.
But it is allowed to place a link like http://www.google.com/search?q=lame.exe+download&ie=UTF-8

And I'm pretty sure everybody can find what is needed.

garybaldy72uk

Even Edcast doesn't come with the Lame encoder plugin when you install it. It sends you to a page where you can download it.

bugBoy10

I noticed Shorty.xs comments on the features available on Mairlist and suggesting they be added as features
on RadioDJ. After a little checking, he failed to mention those remote features and built in encoder were part
of software that costs $2500 to $4000. At those prices it should  be able to stream gold nuggets while
running unattended!!
bugBoy10

shorty.xs

Well the price issue is not totally true. Especially all the remote controls were already part of the older free version. It was free for none commercial use. None of the mAirList Version cost $4000. The largest edition costs 1000€, even the update I'd need to buy now would be 500€.
The version (HomeStudio) I use for live assist, cost 99€. The update is 39€, this is OK for what it does.
But for our automation 2 major features are missing in this smaller version. The network database and the remote control via REST interface. It only allows "local" control by hotkeys, game pad, etc.

A lot of features of course can be found in this high price range (like $4000) software. mAirList is clearly going this way and this is the reason why I'm looking if there are alternatives. Because our small radio station can not afford future updates. I can't spend a lot of money, but I can provide a lot of experiance with different automation software and my skills as a computer hardware engineer, and I'm willing to share this to support a very interesting and free software!

Please don't get me wrong, I just share my ideas, it is still up to Marius to decide if these are interesting to implement or not. He needs to spend his time for development, I'm just a user.

By the way bugBoy10 with your argument, you can kill any new feature request, becaus almost any requested feature can be found in high price software.  ;) And mAirList is just one example, Propfrexx is almost the same, and I guess there are others.

We have a really big webradio scene here in germany, most of them do have cost issues, so a lot of them don't even own a mixer and use an illegal version of SAM. Once there is an encoder built in you have a fully replacement for SAM, that can be used for free without vialoating any license.
Could you imagine what this could mean for RadioDJ? Hopefully a lot of new (german) users. :)

I will do my part an provide a translation.

Kind regards from germany
Malte

garybaldy72uk

I cant understand why People feel the need to pay such prices for software.

Wouldn't give SAM Shitehouse room ever again. Did have a Play with Mairlist when i first saw it and instantly hated it.

Im sure if Marius could find a way round putting a Built in encoder into RadioDJ he would.

You can DJ on the internet for FREE these days.

RadioDJ -  Free
Edcast - Free
Shoutcast from Cloudbroadcaster 25 Slots - Free

I guess the real cost involved is finding a webhost that allows SQL port opening so you can have a half decent website to go with it.

Im expecting Big things to come with RadioDJ eventually  it will out perform all the paid for Broadcasting software!

Get the Word out in germany Im sure the word FREE still applies there!