• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

[Suggestion] VoiceMeeter Remote API Plugin

Started by aMUSiC, April 12, 2016, 05:03:38 PM

aMUSiC

As more and more people discover the power in combining RadioDJ with VoiceMeeter Banana, I'd like to throw here a suggestion for ye mighty plugin developers:

Integration inside RadioDJ with VoiceMeeter's remote api.

The concept would be that you'd have a cart-like interface that you can dock onto RadioDJ, and have configurable buttons, much like VoiceMeeter has in its MacroButtons bundled up. For those who haven't fiddled or don't know what MacroButtons does, it gives you a window with buttons (the more you enlarge the window, the more buttons it gets) and each button is configurable. A button can be either a PUSH one (i.e. it remains active as long as you hold it down with your mouse button or keyboard shortcut) or a 2 state one (acts as an on/off switch). It also gives you the ability to write statements that define what happens to VoiceMeeter upon pushing and releasing the button (as well as what the initial state upon load is). The statements can set volumes to faders, enable or disable buttons, change routing, enable/disable inserts etc, and it's really useful for creating push to talk buttons, or changing configurations on the fly in VoiceMeeter.

One would argue that since VoiceMeeter offers the MacroButtons app, why redo this as a RadioDJ plugin. My reasoning behind this is to consolidate as much as possible into a single interface, so a DJ doesn't have to run too many programs and handle too many windows just to be able to broadcast (for instance RadioDJ + VoiceMeeter + MacroButtons + VST Host + VST Plugins + BUTT).

More information about VoiceMeeter's remote api can be found here:

http://vbaudio.jcedeveloppement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=346

Thank you

Vanlen

Great concept.

I'm not a programmer but that would be a very interesting option :ok:

Cheers
Forest Green - Music in Nature's Frequency
www.forestgreenradio.ca

Valdis

That could be developed as a plugins, but what problem does it solve? If it's only purpose is to reduce number of running programs, it's not worth the time it would take to write the plugin and to implement functionality of MacroButtons.

Technically, the hardest part would be linking unmanaged code from VoicemeeterRemote.dll in .NET code and making sure the plugin doesn't crash RadioDJ due to memory leaks. I've never used unmanaged libraries in .NET but I know it can be done. Bass.Net library, which is used by RadioDJ for all sound-related stuff, does exactly that and it has caused some issues in RadioDJ.

However, right now I fail to see any strong benefits for having MacroButtons functionality inside RadioDJ. It would still have to be a separate window or stuffed inside a plugin zone, like carts player.
I'd consider developing the plugin if someone wrote at least few typical use cases for it and what problems it would solve, apart from having fewer windows.
I am, therefore I think.
I design and develop web apps, and have created few RadioDJ plugins - https://axellence.lv/downloads/

aMUSiC

I wouldn't dismiss having MacroButtons as a cart player as something obsolete (or consolidation of services into a single app as obsolete). Consider those who only have a single screen for instance. Being able to keep everything they need to constantly use in a single window would be saving them from having to switch back and forth between windows in order to do really simple and trivial stuff.

Another benefit would be implementing things that VoiceMeeter does not natively support (such as moving the faders upon an interval instead of setting them immediately to a value), so that a user could script fade ins/outs let's say between music and microphone.

vburel

Quote from: Valdis on April 14, 2016, 07:38:54 AM
but what problem does it solve?

The automation! The main interesting point for RADIO application is to be able to automate mixer. To make auto ducking, To change voice color, set voice Fx on particular jingle, to mute voice on advertisement, to make cross fade (now with fadeto instruction) etc...

Quote from: Valdisthe hardest part would be linking unmanaged code from VoicemeeterRemote.dll in .NET code

We can help to do that, it's not a big deal... and almost all the API is made to be used easily in VB, NET, JAVA etc... feel free to use our forum to describe your problem or questions... or even contact us directly.

One of the easiest way to implement Voicemeeter Remote API for you, could be to simply provide a text field on any event (or playlist item) to let user type Voicemeeter command, then you will just have to send this script to Voicemeeter in one function (like MacroButtons does finally).

Regards
V.Burel

Vanlen

That would be cool.  vburel I love your virtual donationware products especially VoiceMeeter along with RadioDJ :cool:
Forest Green - Music in Nature's Frequency
www.forestgreenradio.ca