Author Topic: Behringer Q802 Plugin request?  (Read 1412 times)

wbgs-radio

• New User

Behringer Q802 Plugin request?
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:54:50 AM »
I am looking for a plugin, Well to help with the Behringer Q802 that will do. Audio processing on the mic and stuff, Just do what the mixer cant thats all light on the resources and effective please can anyone help?

JoshTheRadioDude

• Personal Text
    Jack of all trades. Master of most of them.
Re: Behringer Q802 Plugin request?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
A plugin like that doesn't exist because it can't be done.

Let's start with the mixer itself.  The Q802 is an analog mixer with a 2-in, 2-out USB audio interface (one stereo pair each way).  It doesn't output the mixer channels separately to the USB driver the way you're thinking.  The only audio you'll ever get out of that USB connection is the complete mixdown from the main output.  I know from experience because I have its smaller brother, the XENYX 302, and all of the Behringer mixers -- their entire analog line -- operate the same way.  There are a couple where you can pull the secondary buss mixdown through USB, as well, but those are the larger, more expensive models, and they still wouldn't do what you want.  What you're looking for is a full audio interface with a control surface, and while Behringer and several other companies do make such a thing, they're much more expensive and have more features (and channels) than you want, need or are probably willing to pay for.  We're talking anywhere from $500 to $3,200... far more than the $80 the Q802 costs.

The second issue is the fact that RadioDJ isn't intended to be an all-in-one solution; it's meant specifically for playout.  There are ways to process the audio that it plays out, and yes, input is possible through the line-in option, but that's intended for things like satellite feeds, remote broadcasts or things of that nature, not connecting a microphone and going live.  That input is also delayed, so even if you were to connect a microphone to it, you would be introducing at least 500 milliseconds of latency between when you speak and the audio you hear coming back out of the computer.  The human ear typically starts hearing "delay" at about 5 milliseconds, so 500 is going to be impossible to work with.  Adding digital audio processing of any kind on top of that would make the delay even longer, because your stock, off-the-shelf computers -- especially Windows computers -- are not designed with real-time audio in mind.  It takes dedicated hardware to make that happen, which is also very expensive, and most of that expense goes toward features that do far more than you're asking.

In other words, even if you had the capability of outputting those two microphone channels on the Q802 individually into RadioDJ -- which you don't -- you wouldn't want to, which is why RadioDJ doesn't do that.

If you're looking for individual mic processors, your best bet is the DBX 286S.  If you have two microphones, you're going to need two of them, and that'll set you back about $400 total, but this is the industry standard microphone processor, and it's worth every penny when you set it up correctly.  Put one between each microphone and the mixer, and you'll be up and running in no time.

If you're looking for audio processing for your final mix, there are a few options out there.  I personally use the free Sound Solution 2.0a DSP as a plugin in my stream encoder, though the plugin can be hard to find these days (it's also available as a standalone under the name "Sound Solution XAP," but that's another $120, and really, all you're paying for there is the DSP host when the plugin is available for free).  Some easier options are Breakaway Live or Breakaway Broadcast, both of which come with some decent presets that are somewhat customizable, though I don't like the lack of detail in how you can change their sound.  There's also StereoTool, which is incredibly in-depth in its customization options and extremely powerful... so much so that you really have to know what you're doing to set it up properly.  I've been doing this for over 20 years, and I still don't have all of StereoTool figured out.  But there are even more presets available for it, so if you can download and tweak, you can make it do what you want without having to do too much.

However, all of those will introduce more delay, and all of them (except the free Sound Solution DSP) will cost you more money.  I'm afraid there's no easy or cheap way to do what you want.

If you really want to get your final mix sounding right, old hardware broadcast processors are the way to go.  If you can find an Optimod 8100A with the XT2 expansion and a couple of Texar Prisms on eBay or some broadcasting-related sale and trade site, jump on it.  You'll thank me later.
"Jimmy James will hereafter, and for the purposes of this contract only, be referred to as 'God.'"
-- the Act of God clause in Bill McNeal's employment contract with WNYX