Author Topic: From Sam Broadcaster to RadioDJ  (Read 8613 times)

FreerunMedia

• Personal Text
    Proud user of RadioDJ
    • Radio 251 , Gewoon gezellig
Re: From Sam Broadcaster to RadioDJ
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 12:29:51 PM »
Hah hah!  Yeah.  20 years in computer engineering I'm well aware.  :3  Fun fact!: Human brain works the same way!
I don't have any plans as of yet to get a mixing board because we have multiple DJs and I couldn't, in good conscience, ask them to go out and spend money on that.  But I do have a dedicated server for hosting the shoutcast, the database and many other things with a NAS setup holding the music (my music, anyway).  We broadcast to a bunch of gamers, though and half the time they're not listening to a damn thing we say anyway.  lol

Most DJ's have a mix board and sorry but if a gamer has more than enough money to buy a game rig for around 5 or 6k, there should be more than enough money left for buying a mixer for around 500 euro :D

Honestly, i often wonder how it is possible for someone who has "no money" to buy or build a computer around 5000 euro's. My radiostudio with a professional Eela Audio SMB90, M-Audio Delta1010 PCI board, multple computers ( 4 in total including screens ) and some equipment as CD players, cost less than that. It's what you want to spend on a radiostation to be or at least sound like a professional station.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

FoxFrenzy

• New User

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »
Most DJ's have a mix board and sorry but if a gamer has more than enough money to buy a game rig for around 5 or 6k, there should be more than enough money left for buying a mixer for around 500 euro :D

Honestly, i often wonder how it is possible for someone who has "no money" to buy or build a computer around 5000 euro's. My radiostudio with a professional Eela Audio SMB90, M-Audio Delta1010 PCI board, multple computers ( 4 in total including screens ) and some equipment as CD players, cost less than that. It's what you want to spend on a radiostation to be or at least sound like a professional station.

I don't entirely disagree.  As far as myself is concerned, I subscribe to the concept of "do it right the first time".  This applies to electronics and cars.  But, there's also the fact some people just prioritize differently than you and I do.  While they may drop $3000 on a custom PC gaming rig that they'll use every day, few of my DJ's are going to be talked into buying anything short of a decent USB headset for a hobby/volunteer thing they may do for a couple hours a week at the most.
I'm not getting a mixer because most, if any, of my DJs are probably not going to go out and buy one (for said reasons above) so why should one of us sound professional and the rest sound different.  It just throws the symmetry out of whack.  Second point of fact, we're not really aiming to be this outlandish vat of professionalism because we're not looking to really impress anyone.  The music plays and streams clearly with no hiccups in quality and when we do live shows it's mostly just to have fun and that's good enough for what we're aiming for.  We don't spend a lot of time on air talking anyway and focus more on music and pre-recorded content.
The "radio station" I set up is more of a...  Well, it's part of a "Gaming Community" and the station is a great way to have fun, hang out with each other, maybe entertain a small audience, gain some renown for the gaming community, share our in-game stories with others..  You know, kind of like a more expensive podcast.  Granted there's the money sink of the license, but we're going to add ads or sponsors eventually as we grow.

On another note; Sam Broadcaster took a death nell the other day while trying to switch from Firebird to MySQL and I dumped it sooner than I planned and got as much working on RDJ as I could.  So far, I'm only noticing a couple issues:
1. I have an event set up for my Station ID and it's programmed to play every hour.  The "script" is set up:
StationID
Wait 1200
StationID
Wait 1200
StationID
What would be fantastic is if it played a station ID right away as soon as the event is enabled or triggered, but it waits for the next available hour before doing so, then plays every 20 minutes (as I want it to).  I have another event set up to disable the StationID event and then re-enable after that event is over and again it waits for the next convenient hour to run.  So if it's re-enabled at 12:58 it won't play at 1pm, it waits until 2pm.  I want you run nao!

2. IS there any way for my DJ's to run their database connection without RDJ running?  As it stands, they can't keep RDJ running because of the aforementioned encoder problem (where it may say it's stopped, but continues to beg the Shoutcast server for connection permission) and when they close RDJ the music that's on their system is cut off from the MySQL server.  Is there a service or something that can run be left running on their computer that keeps them open to MySQL without RDJ running?

Capt_Fuzzy

• Personal Text
    "Quiet numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" ~ Moe Howard
    • WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »
The "radio station" I set up is more of a...  Well, it's part of a "Gaming Community" and the station is a great way to have fun, hang out with each other, maybe entertain a small audience, gain some renown for the gaming community, share our in-game stories with others..  You know, kind of like a more expensive podcast.
I feel ya, that's how my station got started... :D
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade
Proud & Satisfied "Long-term" RadioDJ User
(Currently making the transition to v2)

WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
The best mix of your favorites!

Valdis

• Personal Text
    Radio is a mental condition
    • home
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 11:40:29 PM »
1. I have an event set up for my Station ID and it's programmed to play every hour.  The "script" is set up:
StationID
Wait 1200
StationID
Wait 1200
StationID
What would be fantastic is if it played a station ID right away as soon as the event is enabled or triggered, but it waits for the next available hour before doing so, then plays every 20 minutes (as I want it to).  I have another event set up to disable the StationID event and then re-enable after that event is over and again it waits for the next convenient hour to run.  So if it's re-enabled at 12:58 it won't play at 1pm, it waits until 2pm.  I want you run nao!
If you want the station ID to be played right after it is added to the playlist, you'll have to add "Play!" (Start Playing) action after every station ID is added to the playlist. That action starts playing next item in the main playlist (queue).
IMHO, you're doing something wrong there. The "Wait for X seconds" event action is not really intended to be used like that. However, if that works for you, by all means, use it.

Tha seems strange is that the event is not triggered after is has been enabled. If it is enabled at 12:58 and is scheduled to run every hour, it should be triggered on next hour - (13:00) 01:00pm.

2. IS there any way for my DJ's to run their database connection without RDJ running?  As it stands, they can't keep RDJ running because of the aforementioned encoder problem (where it may say it's stopped, but continues to beg the Shoutcast server for connection permission) and when they close RDJ the music that's on their system is cut off from the MySQL server.  Is there a service or something that can run be left running on their computer that keeps them open to MySQL without RDJ running?
Well, MySQL is running as Windows service and continues running after RadioDJ quits. The encoder reconnection issue is really not a problem because SHOUTcast doesn't allow anyone to connect if another source client is broadcasting. I already suggested using a standalone encoder if the plugin bothers you. You can also try A******t plugin for RadioDJ, which might not have the reconnection issue but is not supported by RadioDJ forum.
I am, therefore I think.
I design and develop web apps, and have created few RadioDJ plugins - https://axellence.lv/downloads/

FoxFrenzy

• New User

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 05:42:42 PM »
Well, MySQL is running as Windows service and continues running after RadioDJ quits. The encoder reconnection issue is really not a problem because SHOUTcast doesn't allow anyone to connect if another source client is broadcasting. I already suggested using a standalone encoder if the plugin bothers you. You can also try A******t plugin for RadioDJ, which might not have the reconnection issue but is not supported by RadioDJ forum.

I'm gonna have to figure out how to do that in a way that's simple and easy for my DJ's to set up.  I have a MySQL msi that installs a SQL Service, but I'm not 100% sure how to use it just yet.  I'll have to play with it and see what I need to do to make that go.  In the meantime, I'm having to give my DJ's Admin Access to the DNAS to kick the RadioDJ encoder that the server is using so they can start broadcasting their own stuff, but it still causes the ShoutCast Server to scroll an endless "Connection Refused" line because the RDJ software on the Server keeps trying to connect while another DJ is broadcasting.  If I have 5 DJs messing with their RDJ at the same time, with only one connected, then the server is beating off 4 other encoders and I'm afraid the day may come when it will crash the Shoutcast Server.  While I trust the A******t plguin will work for my intentions, I'd rather wait for an official update.  In a way, though, this bug has it's uses because when the DJ disconnects, the RDJ on the server will reconnect immediately and start playing music again; albeit in the middle of a song.

So far, though, RDJ is vastly superior to SAM and we're loving it.  There've been a few gaffs, but those have been mostly my fault as we learn how to do Events properly.

DJ Garybaldy

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Don't Shoot! I'm only the Moderator
    • DJ Garybaldy Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 06:50:15 PM »
So far, though, RDJ is vastly superior to SAM and we're loving it.  There've been a few gaffs, but those have been mostly my fault as we learn how to do Events properly.

It's feedback like this that makes me happy... More people need to spread the word about RadioDJ. People don't seem to believe my words about it.  :bash:

I know about those Gaffs I had a few when I was learning how the program worked. That was over 5 years ago and now I love everything the program does (bit rusty on some features as I don't use all the plugins)

I have a MySQL msi that installs a SQL Service, but I'm not 100% sure how to use it just yet. 

Have you tried MariaDB its a lot more lightweight and easier to install/configure than the standard MySQL installer.
Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com

How to Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

RadioDJ is my most FAVOURITE piece of software EVER

What I do with RadioDJ: http://goldradio.servemp3.com

FoxFrenzy

• New User

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »
Have you tried MariaDB its a lot more lightweight and easier to install/configure than the standard MySQL installer.
I'm an engineer.  I never wanted to get into databases or programming.  In the last few months I've;
1. Relived PASCAL
2. Brushed up on HTML and segued in 5.
3. Learned PHP and the fact that my website host doesn't support allow it.
4. Set up a MySQL Database and connected it to multiple machines.
5. Learned that SRV records are stupid and they don't work if your server is fully DMZed (seriously, I DMZed my server to fix a plethora of port issues and had to remove the SRV records for my Teamspeak because the DNS no longer worked with the SRV records in place)
6. Brushed up on Javascript and segued into jQuery; hate that, too.

Do you know how hard it is to find a decent, non php-using web player?  The best one I can find, which is better than most ones you have to buy or sh*t, subscribe to, is free and is found here.  Comes in any HTML standard color #?????? and pulls the title metadata.  It may look like it was spit out by 1997, but it works, it's simple, no ads or clutter, it pulls metadata and it's FREE.

*Huff*  Anyway.  Couple things.  Would anyone care to help me out with this SQL service thing?  My MSI install just seems to open a port and that's it..  It's just so my DJ's can maintain a database connection so we can poll their music from the Database even while RDJ is closed on their system.  Is this what I need to use?  The server runs MySQL Workbench.

Lastly; I've had a few people ask me for copies of my Events.  The only thing I found in the RDJ files is an Events XML.  Does that contain my already made events?  Do I just replace theirs with mine?  Just found out Events are shared to the database.  Sweet!

I know I'm asking, like, a butt-ton of questions like this is my own personal forum; but I promise I search before asking.  xD  This is all I found.

FoxFrenzy

• New User

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 12:49:55 AM »
I should make a new thread for this SQL question.  Too many questions in this thread that others may not see if they have the same question. D: