• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

How to set up a live remote broadcast...

Started by Capt_Fuzzy, October 29, 2016, 09:57:41 PM

Capt_Fuzzy

I've poked around here trying to find something that would lead me in the right direction, I've seen it discussed here and there, but not really seen any "specifics" on how to do this.
I have set up a "mobile kit" that has pretty much anything that I may need to connect to the laptop and get the audio into RadioDJ, and that's where I'm stuck for now... :(

Ok, a little background first, that way you may better understand what it is I'm trying to accomplish here...

My brother in law is in a band and they kinda made me their "tech guy" so I tend to come up with fixes for "on the spot issues".
I also typically record, both on audio and video, their performances.
They know about my radio station and their music style is a good fit with the format of my station so that being said, I was approached with the idea to broadcast some of their performances live on the station. It intrigued me, to say the least.

So here's where I'm at:

I have a laptop that is more than capable of running RadioDJ and the db software (MariaDB) as I've already installed it and have it up and running with no issues.
If the location has open WiFi, this is not terribly difficult to pull off, but they sometimes play in locations that don't provide a WiFi connection so I got the bright idea, "Hey, my S5 has mobile hotspot capability and 4G unlimited data plan, why not use that?"
Good idea in theory, but I'm not sure exactly how to pull it off. I know how to enable it and configure it on the phone, but what I'm kinda stuck on is how to get the IP address so that I can use that to open the stream in RadioDJ back at the station.

So, I'm looking for someone who has done this type of thing themselves and can possibly walk me through how to set this up.
I'd like to test it out before I go "bragging" to them that I can do it and then have it blow up in my face. :D
This happened once before when I tried to live stream the video from a location once and I couldn't get it to work, even though the technique worked from home... :bash: lol

I apologize if this is the wrong area for this, I wasn't really sure where it fit.
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade
Proud & Satisfied "Long-term" RadioDJ User
(Currently making the transition to v2)

WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
The best mix of your favorites!

Capt_Fuzzy

No one has any ideas?
This has to be possible, I've seen posts by users that have claimed to do remotes, just not any specifics about HOW they did it...
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade

PhilC

Hi There , I think you would be better off streaming to a seperate  Icecast server from the "Site" and then picking up the  m3u  address from the Icecast server  , which would then go into Radio DJ

I use this technique with Phoenix Fm `s Outside Broadcasts . Works like a charm. We had a Outside Broadcast yesterday that ran for 6 hour without a hitch

I can guide you through it If you want , Just PM me

Cheers phil

Capt_Fuzzy

Actually, that's pretty much what I'm wanting to do, the only difference would be that I use Shoutcast, I'm not familiar with Icecast...
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade

FreerunMedia

is Fideliphone an option? Install it on the remote computer and the studio computer. From the remote computer make a connection to the studio and you'll have the audio up there with something like a couple of seconds delay. The only thing to do next is use the audio from Fideliphone through a virtual patch to RadioDJ.

http://www.fideliphone.com/
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

Capt_Fuzzy

This is an interesting piece of software, it may work for what I want, but there's still the problem of obtaining the IP address at the remote point.
I'm not sure if I can just connect my laptop to my mobile hotspot and then be able to just look up the IP on WhatIsMyIP.com, then use that IP to connect back at the studio...
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade

kgradio

We do remotes all the time.

Our usual setup is to have a laptop on-site sending a Shoutcast stream back to the radio station on an extra server. We use a program called TeamViewer to remotely access the RadioDJ computer back at the station, and put the Shoutcast feed on-air when the remote broadcast is running.

The only thing about using a Shoutcast stream I find troublesome is the delay. We typically see a 30+ second delay between the remote location and the audio being received at the radio station. It is sometimes difficult to get a seamless transition to and from the Shoutcast feed, without a short period of dead air or audio being cut off, due to the delay.

Capt_Fuzzy

Quote from: kgradio on November 04, 2016, 03:44:18 AM
We do remotes all the time.

Our usual setup is to have a laptop on-site sending a Shoutcast stream back to the radio station on an extra server. We use a program called TeamViewer to remotely access the RadioDJ computer back at the station, and put the Shoutcast feed on-air when the remote broadcast is running.
Yeah, I have Teamviewer already set up and ready to go. ;D

Quote from: kgradio on November 04, 2016, 03:44:18 AMThe only thing about using a Shoutcast stream I find troublesome is the delay. We typically see a 30+ second delay between the remote location and the audio being received at the radio station. It is sometimes difficult to get a seamless transition to and from the Shoutcast feed, without a short period of dead air or audio being cut off, due to the delay.
I read where someone "got around" the delay by starting his "thing" 30 seconds before picking it up in the studio. Then ending it about 30 seconds before the feed ends back at the station.
He claimed that it worked very well.

How do you get the IP address of the laptop? To import the stream back at the station?
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade

FL Coast

Quote from: Capt_Fuzzy on November 04, 2016, 04:19:20 PM
How do you get the IP address of the laptop? To import the stream back at the station?

If your remote broadcast to an icecast or shoutcast server, why would you need the remote laptops ip address at the studio.  All you should need is the server address that is relaying the audio.

Wouldn't it be like if you were streaming a program from someone else on your station?  Or maybe I'm missing something.
:)    Play the Music and Have Fun!    :ok:
==================================
Fun In The Sun,  From the Florida Coast
"It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts."
John Wooden 1910 - 2010

plauri

Quote from: FL Coast on November 04, 2016, 06:14:37 PM
If your remote broadcast to an icecast or shoutcast server, why would you need the remote laptops ip address at the studio.  All you should need is the server address that is relaying the audio.

Wouldn't it be like if you were streaming a program from someone else on your station?  Or maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, Capt is what I wrote in the other thread!
Funky Corner Radio
Radiodj v.2.0.4.5 (Windows 10)
http://www.funkycorner.radio
https://www.funkycorner.it
http://www.radiofunkycorner.com

Capt_Fuzzy

Quote from: FL Coast on November 04, 2016, 06:14:37 PM

I simulcast a couple of live shows on my station, I connect to the IP or address of the stream at the proper time using an event.
I figured that if I could get the same info for my remote setup, I could basically do the same thing.
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade

JoshTheRadioDude

Quote from: Capt_Fuzzy on October 31, 2016, 05:47:06 PM
This is an interesting piece of software, it may work for what I want, but there's still the problem of obtaining the IP address at the remote point.

No, actually, you wouldn't need to do that.  All you need on the remote end is the studio's IP address, then call into the studio from the remote site.  Fideliphone is incredibly simple for remotes.  You just configure it once with your studio's IP address and you're good to go no matter where you are, provided you have a stable connection.
"Jimmy James will hereafter, and for the purposes of this contract only, be referred to as 'God.'"
-- the Act of God clause in Bill McNeal's employment contract with WNYX

Capt_Fuzzy

That's fine and all, but how do I connect mics and soundboards to my phone?
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade

JoshTheRadioDude

Quote from: Capt_Fuzzy on November 05, 2016, 11:37:15 PM
That's fine and all, but how do I connect mics and soundboards to my phone?

You wouldn't.  You would take the audio from the mixer used for the live performance through the line-in on your computer, then tell Fideliphone to use that line-in as its source audio device.  It's basically the same as a stream encoder, only a lot easier.
"Jimmy James will hereafter, and for the purposes of this contract only, be referred to as 'God.'"
-- the Act of God clause in Bill McNeal's employment contract with WNYX

Capt_Fuzzy

I can run Fideliphone on my PC?? ???

I thought it was only for smartphones...
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade