• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

UTF8 MP3

Started by RFU, November 08, 2016, 06:43:38 PM

RFU

I've noticed on every player I use that they are not picking up cyrillic characters from the mp3 tag and the artist/song title always comes out a crap

Is there such as a UTF8 mp3 file, or some other fix?

I should add that this has nothing to do with radiodj, because radiodj shows it properly

Nobex told me their app was working properly and it was showing what I was sending.

Just a thought, does it have something to do with the "now playing" text file?
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

Valdis

I know the feeling. I've had same issues with Latvian, Icelandic accented characters and Cyrillic titles. I'm still a fan of 5'nizza, BTW.

ID3 tags do support UTF8 since version 2.4 and UTF16 since version 2.2. However, you should use the v2.3 with UTF16 since that is supported by most software.

RadioDJ database is stored in UTF8, so the issue is with the now playing text file export. I'd suggest exporting the metadata using the web export where you can choose an encoding.

How do you send the metadata to the Nobex? Can't you do that with the web export?
I am, therefore I think.
I design and develop web apps, and have created few RadioDJ plugins - https://axellence.lv/downloads/

RFU

The "Now Playing Info exporter"  custom title is UTF8
File export is set to target file Now Playing.txt but it doesn't seem to be working

I have the player from radionomy on my website and it doesn't show UTF8. So the tags show as garbage characters

I'm not sure where Nobex gets their data from, and I stopped using them. But they said they were showing the data that was sent to them.

If I create a tag in English there's no problem, but if it's in cyrillic, it's garbage
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

Valdis

Quote from: RFU on November 09, 2016, 11:19:36 AM
The "Now Playing Info exporter"  custom title is UTF8
File export is set to target file Now Playing.txt but it doesn't seem to be working

I have the player from radionomy on my website and it doesn't show UTF8. So the tags show as garbage characters

I'm not sure where Nobex gets their data from, and I stopped using them. But they said they were showing the data that was sent to them.

If I create a tag in English there's no problem, but if it's in cyrillic, it's garbage

The "doesn't seem to be working" is too vague. Please be more specific. What do you expect and what is happening instead?

If Nobex is your streaming provider, they most likely are using the data sent by your encoder. Which encoder are you using?
IIRIC, the A███C██t is sending metadata to streaming servers in Windows code page or ISO charsets and not using any form of Unicode.
I am, therefore I think.
I design and develop web apps, and have created few RadioDJ plugins - https://axellence.lv/downloads/

RFU

nobex is a company that provides android apps to radio stations

And, as I previously mentioned, the radionomy player on my website does the same

Now Playing.txt seems to be working now. Previously I got an error saying I didn't have permission

I'm using the A******t stand alone encoder, streaming to shoutcast
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

Valdis

Quote from: RFU on November 14, 2016, 05:36:00 PM
Nobex is a company that provides android apps to radio stations

And, as I previously mentioned, the Radionomy player on my website does the same

Now Playing.txt seems to be working now. Previously I got an error saying I didn't have permission

I'm using the A******t stand alone encoder, streaming to SHOUTcast

A******t standalone encoder used to have encoding issues. I don't know if that has changed recently.
Older SHOUTcast servers (before 2.x) also didn't handle UTF-8 correctly. IIRIC, SHOUTcast is using Windows-1250 (Central European) or ISO-8859-1 to send metadata, but you would need Windows-1251 or ISO-8859-5 to support Cyrillic characters. The biggest problem when using the legacy code pages is that it is hard to tell which code page should be used to display the text. A text string intended for CP1251 can be interpreted as CP1250 or any other code page.

Even if you could configure the SHOUTcsast to use Cyrillic charset, the whole thing can get messy when you send in data containing out of range UTF-8 characters and the server tries to interpret the data using a legacy code page.

If you had set RadioDJ to write the NowPlaying.txt file to the root of "C:" drive Windows won't allow writing there. That is a security feature and it is implemented using the less-known and somewhat obscure integrity level mechanism.
You should configure the now playing plugin to write the "Now Playing.txt" file to some writeable location, like "C:\RadioDJ\Now Playing.txt".
I am, therefore I think.
I design and develop web apps, and have created few RadioDJ plugins - https://axellence.lv/downloads/

RFU

You[re right about the now playing file. i had to move it to get it to work

As for shoutcast, as far as I know i'm using 2.x

I guess I'll have to redo all the tags and not use cyrillic charactersets  :(
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

ivailodemidov

Yes, I have the same problem and since yesterday I have been trying to solve this problem. There are two options I can think of. Either the text encoding should be Cyrillic - 1251 or the font that writes Cyrillic in the cassette should be, for example, Ariel, which can also display Cyrillic. At the moment I haven't found a solution yet because there is no option for text encoding 1251. I tried everything I can't display normally in Cyrillic yet