• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Playlist give me double the rotation

Started by affirm, January 06, 2017, 04:25:29 AM

affirm

Hi,

I have created a 20 song rotation.  During AutoDJ, when events clears out the playlist, it puts 40 songs back in. In events, I have clear playlist, then load rotation.

I have tried shuffling the song order in the rotation, but still 40 songs.

any suggestions?

thanks,
Kevin

Calypso

Quote from: affirm on January 06, 2017, 04:25:29 AM
I have created a 20 song rotation.  During AutoDJ, when events clears out the playlist, it puts 40 songs back in.

As far as I know this is behavious by design. There is always at least 1 full rotation in the playlist, and if it has less than that, it adds another rotation behind it. So when you clear the playlist, there are 2 rotations added.

DJ Garybaldy

Don't worry too much about the songs RadioDJ is putting into the playlist from a rotation. It's just RadioDJ thinking ahead.

You could try smaller rotations I currently have mine at 13 songs which is roughly 1 hour so it will queue up 2 hours of music.

If you need to load different rotations at different times use the Clear Playlist command to strip all the songs out of the playlist, you will also need to take autodj off with Disable AutoDJ action before the rotation loads.

Don't be scared to have a play around with events it makes automation in RadioDJ really easy. It took me a while to figure things out at first too.

Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

ruvo80

In the beginning i experienced the same issue. but i found a solution.
every hour i have an event running and i made lots of rotations wich are made to fill music for 1 hour.
when i want a rotation just to load once in a event i use following event:

Clear paylist
AutoDJ enable
load rotation ...
seconds to wait 1
AutoDJ disable

this way there won't be loaded any more songs then you placed in a rotation.
The power of music

Capt_Fuzzy

Quote from: ruvo80 on January 07, 2017, 01:35:02 PM
Clear paylist
AutoDJ enable
load rotation ...
seconds to wait 1
AutoDJ disable
Actually, I think this is just slightly backwards...

It should be:
AutoDJ disable
Clear playlist
Load rotation
Seconds to wait 1
AutoDJ Enable

Bear in mind, if your rotation is less than about 20 tracks, RDJ will add more to the list but at the bottom, after what you have qued at the moment...
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade
Proud & Satisfied "Long-term" RadioDJ User
(Currently making the transition to v2)

WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
The best mix of your favorites!

ruvo80

Hi capt fuzzy,

No offend, but I am sure my order is the right one.. I will explain:

when my toth event starts the playlist is cleared (autodj is disabled at that moment by the previous toth event so no new songs will be loaded immediatly)
Then I load the right rotation for that hour
Next step is enable the autodj for 1 second so radiodj runs the rotation just once
Finaly autodj is disabled again so when a song is played no new songs will be loaded.

then when the next toth event runs.. it starts all over again

I have to admit.. my rotations are some longer.. I tried several rotations and I have enough songs to have at least 70 minutes of songs in my rotation.
The power of music

FreerunMedia

Maybe it's me but why disable the AutoDJ when you clear the playlist each hour?

Reason for that question is that the AutoDJ is needed to load up a rotation. Switch it down and it will load nothing unless you load tracks manually or load a prepaired playlist. The rotation are only "rules" that should be followed for building a hour with tracks. When you load a rotation, nothing will happen other than the rotation is set when you clear a list and switch AutoDJ on. So even when you want to load up each hour with new tracks, you can leave AutoDJ on because you clear the playlist each hour. Leave the AutoDJ on and it will fill up according to the rotation build.

Simple said, even when you load up a playlist for at least 24 hours only needing one hour, the playlist clear option removes everything in th current playlist and fills it up again according to the first item in the rotation. No problem there. If you read a book only to the first 10 pages, when you throw it away after that, you can't read it anymore is it?

Build your event like this:
Load rotation ( Day, night, gospel or what you want for that hour or event )
Clear playlist
AutoDJ Enable

And that is it. Each hour will be set to your rotation, playlist cleared and filled up again with the loaded rotation. If it loads up songs for 3 hours, no problem because you start the next event with a load rotation and clear playlist.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

Capt_Fuzzy

Quote from: ruvo80 on January 08, 2017, 12:09:33 PM
Hi capt fuzzy,

No offend, but I am sure my order is the right one.. I will explain:

when my toth event starts the playlist is cleared (autodj is disabled at that moment by the previous toth event so no new songs will be loaded immediatly)
Then I load the right rotation for that hour
Next step is enable the autodj for 1 second so radiodj runs the rotation just once
Finaly autodj is disabled again so when a song is played no new songs will be loaded.

then when the next toth event runs.. it starts all over again

I have to admit.. my rotations are some longer.. I tried several rotations and I have enough songs to have at least 70 minutes of songs in my rotation.
I see what you are saying, and yes, that will work that way...
I do mine the way I described because it suits my needs at the time, as I'm sure your way does for you, so the order and way the event is setup is pretty much subjective based on what your station's needs are as far as playlist rotation goes.
The key here is when, why and where to use AutoDJ Enable/Disable.
When AutoDJ is enabled, it will populate the que and then keep it populated so there is no dead air should the list run out before the hour (as an example) is up. If you don't want more tracks added to the current que, then AutoDJ should be disabled.

As you stated, if you are running 2 or more events back-to-back, then you don't want the que being populated with "unrelated" tracks between the events, so ending the event with AutoDJ Disable is the way to go to keep this from happening.
In my case, I don't always have specific events that run concurrently, so as a general rule in this case, I end the previous event with an AutoDJ Enable call, to populate the que as my playlist is "emptied".

I have a lot of music, but not all of it is added to my database, I'm constantly ripping my old CDs and editing the tags so that everything is right before adding them to the database and rotations. As a result of this, I sometimes just let AutoDJ load random tracks to fill the gaps between scheduled events.

So, in a nutshell, we are both right, depending on how you look at it and what your needs are... ;) :cool:
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade

Ulker

İ have the same problem. Even though I try all of your versions and rotation has 21 tracks but it still adding songs.

Jhonny

Quote from: affirm on January 06, 2017, 04:25:29 AM
Hi,

I have created a 20 song rotation.  During AutoDJ, when events clears out the playlist, it puts 40 songs back in. In events, I have clear playlist, then load rotation.

I have tried shuffling the song order in the rotation, but still 40 songs.

any suggestions?

thanks,
Kevin

So the rotations work.

20 tracks in, the moment there are 19 tracks in the playlist the rotation set 20 to the playlist ( now there are 39 tracks in the playlist), the moment there are only 19 in the playlist the rotation set 20 to the playlist and so on......

Ps. in a event switching a rotation.

Disable Auto DJ
Clear playlist
New rotation
Enable Auto DJ
R.T.F.M. means to me, Read The Fantastic Messages.
Einstein says: Make things simple, but don't make simple things simpler! (wise) this is just my life lesson you know.

I don't do drugs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The Radiodj tutorials site is now managed by Domstad radio .nl still  Just in English

FreerunMedia

Just in addition to this, don't worry if the playlist gets "topped off". If your rotation is correct it will top it off according to that rotation. The last thing you want is running out of tracks during the hour. ( Wait what?)

If you fill up a rotation with 13 tracks, the first hour it can fill it 60 minutes but the next hour you can have 2 minutes short. Nothing in the playlist left means silence! Unless you prefer to have your station silent for 2 minutes untill the top of the hour is reset, that is fine but otherwise, that is a show stopper, for real in this case.

Just leave it running with autoDJ on and you won't have any problems. For the people who don't get it, listen to any radiostation and listen how it's done. You will never hear a silence and it's allways filled to the top. The only difference is that a full office is building and checking the playlists and in your case, RadioDJ is doing that.

Sorry for being blunt but i keep saying, if you don't want any problems, don't create or search for them.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

PROducer

Quote from: ruvo80 on January 07, 2017, 01:35:02 PMwhen i want a rotation just to load once in a event i use following event:

Clear paylist
AutoDJ enable
load rotation ...
seconds to wait 1
AutoDJ disable

this way there won't be loaded any more songs then you placed in a rotation.

Capt. Fuzzy is correct saying this is slightly backwards, and you may not pick it up unless you run rotations back to back which contain something which will stand out that you can hear. (eg: Your rotation has a Beatles Feature that runs in a specific hour)

By enabling the Auto DJ function before you load the new rotation, RadioDJ will populate the playlist with the previous rotation because it has not had a chance to change it yet, so it populates the queue with the previous hour's rotation, loads the new rotation, waits one second then turns auto-dj off.

Load Rotation does not populate the queue, it just changes the rotation RDJ uses (shown in the little white window at the top right of the screen)

Enabling Auto DJ is what loads the music into the queue according to the rotations rules.

Capt_Fuzzy

Unless I am doing a live show, or loading playlists or rotations manually, my RDJ is always on AutoDJ...
When I want it to change to a different rotation, I usually write an event like this:

AutoDJ Disable
Clear Playlist
Load Rotation
Seconds to Wait 2
Play!

What this does is disables AutoDJ (so no more tracks get loaded), clears all current tracks from the que, loads the chosen rotation for this event, waits 2 seconds, then starts playing the que. This is useful for relatively short rotations of say an hour or less, but can be slightly modified to suit a lot of uses.

When it's time for the rotation to change, an event triggers at the appropriate time, doing similar to above, but then turning AutoDJ back on, and the automation continues on it's way.

Clear Playlist
Load Rotation
Seconds to Wait 2
AutoDJ Enable
Play!
Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade