• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

SURVEY: CPU Chip, Generation, Clock Speed, and Memory Size

Started by stevewa, February 02, 2020, 04:24:28 PM

stevewa

Hello All,

After reading with "shock" that Marius is using an i3 for a test machine,  ??? I thought it would be good info to run a survey of what types of chips and memory most people are using on the computer running RadioDJ for the main playback system (i.e. not an auxiliary remote instance editing suites).

Please respond in this thread with the type of

• CPU: Core, Generation and Clock Speed  (example: Intel Core i7 8700 3.2GHz )
  • Memory Size: (example 8GB)
  • Extra Functions: (Example, if you are encoding audio before uploading it to a Icecast streaming server, please indicate the function and bitrate, i.e. Encoding MP3 320 Kbps, and if you are running a virual mixing software, like VoiceMeeterBanana etc)
  • Satisfaction: Finally please indicate your satisfaction with your hardware. Example: does RadioDJ run well on your hardware, (Respond: Runs Very Well, Runs Well, Runs Sluggish, etc.)

This will help everyone to get an idea of what types of hardware are needed for the typical configuration, especially after the end of service for Windows 7 event.

Thank you  ;D

Ps to make it easy to parse the results, please don't add too much extra commentary, I'm just trying to collect stats.

stevewa

Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz
8GB
RadioDJ Only (encoding done on diff computer)
Runs Very Well

DJ Garybaldy

My main RadioDJ computer runs on an AMD A10 Chip. 16GB RAM (DDR4) 3.59Ghz (12 compute cores 4C & 8G) Radeon R7

I run RadioDJ in a virtual enviroment (VMWare with 2.7GB and 3 processors) with very few issues. The computer is running as a sweet as a nut at the moment
Worlds Biggest Fan of RadioDJ

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

Into Internet radio for 25 years 1999-2024

RadioDJ 2045 MariaDB 11.2 Windows 11

mebo870

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X2 545 (3GHz)
Hard drives:
Disk 1(C): KINGSTON SA400S37240G ATA Device (SSD)
Disk 2(D): WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 ATA Device (1TB)
Memory DDR2 Size 4 Gig

Runs very well, after installing windows 10 on an SSD drive (€ 59)
RDJ 2.0.3.9
I found the key to happiness
Stay away from idiots

RFU

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @2.33 GHz
4.00GB RAM
64 bit OS
Win 7 Ultimate

Commercials etc are on a 150 GB C  drive, music is on a 1TB external drive (USB)

I have noticed problems whenever a song changes while I'm doing something else, like building a playlist or importing new songs. It seems to freeze for a few seconds. Sometimes the song freezes but usually it's whatever else I'm doing that freezes until the new track loads

This computer is only for RadioDJ broadcasting (24/7)

All production is done on another computer
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: RFU on February 04, 2020, 08:16:52 AM

Commercials etc are on a 150 GB C  drive, music is on a 1TB external drive (USB)

I have noticed problems whenever a song changes while I'm doing something else, like building a playlist or importing new songs. It seems to freeze for a few seconds. Sometimes the song freezes but usually it's whatever else I'm doing that freezes until the new track loads

This computer is only for RadioDJ broadcasting (24/7)

All production is done on another computer

Have you excluded the Music folders from being scanned by windows defender/antivirus software? Have you turned off Indexing? That's just two thing i can think of that might be causing slight freezes.

Ideally The music should be on an Internal drive. USB drives can be temperamental as we found out to our costs a couple of years ago.

Install MariaDB https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/installing-maria-db.html

Install RadioDJ: https://djgarybaldy.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-install-radiodj-free-radio.html

FreerunMedia

Maybe an older RadioDJ but still working.

Machine 1 (Test and play computer) :
P4 @ 2.6gHz. 2GB memory, Windows XP 32bit. 80GB HDD startup and 1TB HDD storage, On board and PCI soundcards. NVidia Gforce videocard ( AGP )
Software: RadioDJ v1.8.2, Stereotool v8.3 plugin. Butt stream, MariaDB Dbase and Nettime.

Machine 2 ( 24/7 automation ) :
Quad core 2,6ghz. 4GB memory, W7 64 bit. 250gb SSD startup, 1TB ssd storage, M-Audio Delta 1010 audio board and AMD RS520 videocard.
Software: RadioDJ v1.8.2, Stereotool V9.2 stand alone, Butt stream, MariaDB DBase, Nettime, M-Audio mixer and drivers and Virtual cable.

Machine 3 ( Backup machine ):
Quad core 2,6ghz. 4GB memory, W7 64 bit. 120gb SSD startup, 2TB HDD storage, M-Audio Delta 1010 audio board with on board videocard (Intel).
Software: RadioDJ v1.8.2, Stereotool V9.2 stand alone, Butt stream, MariaDB DBase, Nettime M-Audio mixer and drivers and Virtual cable.

Machine 4 ( 24/7 automation ):
i5 at 2,6ghz. 8GB memory, W10 64 bit. 120gb SSD startup, 1TB HDD storage and on board video (Intel). Behringer mutli channel audio board (USB)
Software: RadioDJ v1.8.2, Stereotool V9.2 stand alone, Butt stream, MariaDB DBase, Nettime and Virtual cable.

Machine 5 running 4 editions RadioDJ v1.8.2. ( 24/7 silence backup )
C2D @ 2.8ghz. 4GB memory. W7 32 bit. 1HDD in 2 partitions, 50gb for the OS, the rest for storage and on board videocard (Intel). M-Audio Delta 1010 Audio board
Software: RadioDJ v1.8.2, Silence logger M-Audio mixer and drivers and Nettime.

All machines:
Processor is Intel. Running Nettime program for setting the computers on time. Running file copier to copy recorded files to a NAS. TX Line recorder that does timed recordings. None of the machines has a anti virus running or a seperate firewall. Reason for that is the machines are all doing just that, only playout and streaming. No surfing or any other things are done or even allowed doing on those machines. Indexing is switched off on all machines.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

chebaev

I managing two stations. First is on this PC:
CPU: Intel i3-3320 @ 3,3Ghz 3,3Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
SSD: ADATA SP900 - 120GB (on this disk are OS, Radio DJ and other software)
HDD: Hitachi SDS721032CLA362 - 300 GB (this disk i use for my music)
This PC i also use for encoding with MB Recaster. I have two streams. First is MP3 128 kbps and seconds is 32 kbps AAC+. On the computer i run also Apache web server.

My second station is on this PC:
CPU: Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.2GHz 3.19GHz
RAM: 8 GB
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO - 500 GB (this disk is for OS, software and my music)
HDD: WDC WD5000AAKX-50U6AA0
This PC i also use for encoding with MB Recaster. I have two streams. First is MP3 128 kbps and seconds is 32 kbps AAC+. On this PC i run also virtual audio cable (Breakaway Pipeline).

On the both computers RadioDJ run very well

Radio ORV - www.orvmedia.com/radioorv.m3u

Chip Douglas Mosley

My station is on this machine:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 875 Processor 3.0GHz
RAM: 8.0 GB (7.50 useable)
Hard Drive: 1.99 TB (1.71 TB Free)

I paid $35.00 for this desktop last November and put a new Hard Drive in it.

I have RDJ v2.0.1.6 beta with MariaDB installed, along with Cool Edit Pro, Voxal, NewsBud, Weather Watcher, and Microsoft Office Pro. I use TTS in my RDJ stream, so I use Voxal to create the voices from text to mp3 files, and Weather Watcher to create the text for weather that is converted thru Voxal to my spoken weather files. I do some production using Cool Edit Pro on this computer.

Second Computer:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 B26 Processor 3.20 GHz
Ram: 8.0 GB (7.50 useable)
Hard Drive: 464 GB (53 GB free)

My second computer was purchased for $50 four years ago and was originally used for Radio DJ and my stream, but was replaced with the newer one. I use this computer for everything else including production, music editing, updating my website and anything else I need to do. I also have this computer hooked up to several external drives where I store backups. I have RDJ 2.0.1.6 and 2.0.2.0 installed on this computer for testing.

I have a third computer that I use as a backup for everything. Again, it's a cheap used computer I bought for $35.00.
Chip Douglas Mosley
Jukebox 92.7 WEPQ
www.jukebox927.com
jukebox927@yahoo,com
Radio DJ user since 2016, Live365 since 2019
Upgraded to v2.0.4.5 on January 25, 2024

RFU

Quote from: DJ Garybaldy on February 04, 2020, 12:53:14 PM
Have you excluded the Music folders from being scanned by windows defender/antivirus software? Have you turned off Indexing? That's just two thing i can think of that might be causing slight freezes.

Ideally The music should be on an Internal drive. USB drives can be temperamental as we found out to our costs a couple of years ago.

Antivirus skips that drive and I turned off indexing on that drive, but it doesn't make any difference

I think I need to buy another IDE cable and mount it internally
Гордий бути українцем, Ми - Радіо Вільної України.

FreerunMedia

Quote from: RFU on February 06, 2020, 01:43:45 PM
Antivirus skips that drive and I turned off indexing on that drive, but it doesn't make any difference

I think I need to buy another IDE cable and mount it internally

One other thing that people allways forget to do is switch your computer/laptop in performance mode. This prevents drives being shut down to sleep mode. Also don't use "green drives" because some of them have a "sleep mode" build in so you can't switch that one off. This could work but to be safe, just put a drive in the computer itself.
Running 3 editions V1.8.2 at www.salto.nl and v1.8.2 at radio251.nl. ( NOW with 2 live studio's! )

DJ Garybaldy

I wonder how many stations you could run on a box that has an i5 3.10GHz processor & 32GB RAM (Purely hypothetical) https://bit.ly/3cMOou8

DJ Garybaldy

OK so I had some spare cash... So i went and treated myself.

Just bought another computer you know just for Testing purposes  :hihi:

i5 Processor 32GB RAM HDD And 240GB SSD Windows 10 PC
I'm putting TechMonkeys PC into hibernation as its got lots of important stuff on it and i don't want to lose it.Let the Testing commence!

relevanzzzz

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core
RAM: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Hard Drive: 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Radio DJ runs pretty well. If you are running with a secondary hard drive make sure to tell Windows to stop sending your hard drive to sleep.

DJ Garybaldy

Quote from: relevanzzzz on May 18, 2020, 07:00:14 PM

Radio DJ runs pretty well. If you are running with a secondary hard drive make sure to tell Windows to stop sending your hard drive to sleep.

its one of those settings that people seem to for get about... I learnt back in the days of XP to stop that happening.