• Welcome to RadioDJ - Free Radio Automation Software Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Change file/folder selection method

Started by andrewsmith86, April 29, 2016, 01:14:15 AM

andrewsmith86

Hey team,

So I'd just like to refer to my post here for this request. I'd like for the 'Browse for Folder' dialogue to be changed to the much more extensive 'Explorer' dialogue to allow for typing in addresses for files and folder locations manually.

OR I'd like to be able to type the address of a location into the 'Directory Import' window, then hit something like a 'Browse' button and be taken to the location. At our radio station, our music collection is stored in a hidden network share (\\server\music$) to keep it more secure. Radio DJ does not allow us to add music from this location and as a result, we cannot use Radio DJ at our station.

Implementing this request would allow for greater flexibility and for us to deploy Radio DJ at our station. I would hope that changing the 'Browse for Folder' dialogue shouldn't be too much of a big change to make and would be the easiest of the two perhaps. I'd like it very much if this request was considered. Thank you :)

aMUSiC

+1

That would be immensely useful!

Capt_Fuzzy

Steve 'Capt Fuzzy' Wade
Proud & Satisfied "Long-term" RadioDJ User
(Currently making the transition to v2)

WVRR - Ridgerunners Radio
The best mix of your favorites!

JackRabbit

Just bumping this request to the foreground. Under Windows 11, when I use the "browse for folder" dialogue, I am greeted with this monstrosity:

BROWSE FOR FOLDER
  SELECT FOLDER TO IMPORT:
Desktop
 Home
 Gallery
 OneDrive
 Desktop
 Documents
 Music
 Pictures
 Videos
 (my username)
 This PC
   Documents
   Downloads
   Desktop
   Local Disk (C:)
      Radio_DJ_media
Libraries
Network
Control Panel
Recycle Bin
--------------------------------------------------

The Radio_DJ_media folder is always what I need. Is there anything in Windows settings that would hide all of the excess baggage? Or perhaps a registry hack, tweaking utility or something? If nothing else, I would be more than happy if there was a way to put a shortcut to my desired folder at the top.

I spent the morning looking at "WinAero Tweaker" and searching through Google. So far, I'm coming up with nothing that works. Anyone have any ideas?

stevewa

I've used a program named
"Link Shell Extension"
by
Hermann Schinagl

to create a JUNCTION which is displayed in the root of the lists of folder at the RadioDJ browse dialog, and that junction points to the location of your audio files.

JackRabbit

Cool. I forgot all about trying Junction links. I use DirOpus as a file manager, and it has a button to copy a file as a junction link. I put the junction link on the Windows desktop.

Then, I opened the RadioDJ Browse for Folder dialog. I located that junction link I just made and right clicked on it, then selected PIN TO QUICK ACCESS.

It worked!!! Now my media folder link is way at the top of the list, right under HOME.  Doing that procedure to the actual folder would not work. I have no idea why. :bash:  But pinning the junction link does indeed work. 

Thank you so much for the idea!! ;)